Anything to change in BIOs for SSD?

Fahrenheit

Weaksauce
Getting a SSD today, wanted to know if there is anything on my BIOs i need to change to make it run right. I also know for my older mobo with the ICH10r chip set it would be better to run it on sata2 over the Marvell 9128 add on for sata3 due to low speed with the add on, right?

Correct, stay with an intel sata controller, even sata 2 over marvell sata 3.

Otherwise, slap it in, wire it up, and enjoy. :)

Connect the SSD to the intel ports. Make sure they are in RAID or AHCI mode. Yes it is better to run on Intel SATA II over Marvel SATA III. The reason is lower latency / better random io performance.

If you forget to switch to AHCI or RAID mode before installing Windows, when you reboot and change the BIOS setting to AHCI or RAID, the boot will fail because the AHCI drivers aren't loaded by default in Windows unless Windows is installed on a drive running in AHCI mode. You have to tweak a registry value to get the driver to load. Just in case that happens to you like it did to me.

So i'm up and running. Everything seems fast, here is a benchmark
cdmb.jpg

My results seem to fall in line for what other people are getting for SATA2, how does it look to you guys?

Why would he connect it to a sata II port if he has sata 3. Most ssds have better firmware today that can run on that marvel controller. There is no way sata 2 is better than sata 3 no matter what the controller is

try as-ssd and post that if you can. I want to see those scores on sata 2..BTW what brand ssd are you using?

I've seen many many instances where connecting to an Intel Sata2 port far exceeds the speeds, read and write, than that of a Marvell Sata3 port.

Not bad, which SSD did you get Fahrenheit?

Fahrenheit, The difference here is your getting better write speed on sata 2 intel, but worse Read on Seq

Slap that disk into the sata 3 port and bench again if you can

I never did ask which mobo you are using. So you may as well try changing the port in which the SDD in plugged into.

get rid of that mschi driver and get intel rapid storage. the mschi is 6 years old

and whatever you do DON'T install the marvel driver once you switch to the sata 3

Right now I have the Marvell disabled in BIOS, my plan is to re enable it boot to windows, install Intel Rapid Storage then power down and switch the plug. How does that sound?

You have to enable it in bios otherwise it will never boot.
Don't install the marvell driver once in windows.
You will be on msahci ...run a bench and lets see what read write speeds you get then.
When on a marvel sata 3 port you can't change the msachi to IASTR unless you re-install the OS
Correct me if I'm wrong someone?

Why would he connect it to a sata II port if he has sata 3. Most ssds have better firmware today that can run on that marvel controller. There is no way sata 2 is better than sata 3 no matter what the controller is

I has nothing to do with the SSD or even the Marvell controller, it's just that the controller is connected to the DMI and that adds latencies. Sure, sequential numbers are better, but that's not what you buy an SSD for.

Back