AOC 31.5" 2560x1440 IPS

seanreisk

[H]ard|Gawd
AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" QHD 2560x1440 On sale at NewEgg for $273.00

My friend got one and it looks fantastic, but the last time I ordered an AOC it was a bad run, and I'm afraid if I order one of these I'll get a made-on-Monday special.

But it's got almost everything I want -

31.5"
2560x1440
10-bit IPS
4ms, 75Mhz
FreeSync

However, the stand isn't adjustable and it doesn't have VESA mounting holes. Still, for $273, I'm curious. Anyone else have one of these?

EDIT: I'm not saying this is a true gamer's monitor, but I can't afford $500+ for a great monitor. I get what I can, and I can do $275. And I keep looking at this, because it seems to check off a lot of my boxes for not a lot of money. My friend's monitor looks great, maybe the blacks aren't as deep as VA panels but I can't tell. When we set it to a black screen you could see a very minor amount of light bleed in the right corners. But not enough to be noticeable in normal use, or even in a dark game.

EDIT 2: All the Euro sites are saying this is an MVA panel. I want to call my friend and have him confirm that his monitor is an IPS, but ... it's 4:00 AM, and friends who have to work early in the morning don't like to receive 4 AM calls from other friends who happen to be awake at 4 AM, eating chips and hummus and watching a terrabyte of data write itself to the cloud.

Last edited:
Hope they'd get a similar screen out there soon but with at least 144Hz refresh rate and built-in strobing (144Hz strobing capable preferably) and I'd pay a pretty nice sum.

AOC monitors are not necessarily bad, am running one (Q3277PQU) since almost 3 years daily (granted it's marketed as their "professional" line) at work and no signs of problems yet. With all brands you get to play the lottery and most suck when you actually need warranty for them, that's why shelling out 1k+ on a monitor is generally not a bright idea.

I bought the Q3279VWF on preorder (good free return policy) , solely because of the 200€ pricetag and the posibility of getting an affordable 32" 1440p 75hz Freesync monitor that just works (the HPs have delay and frame skipping at 75hz with Nvidia cards).
Other than the non-adjustable stand, and most of the OSD settings and choice of button functions being dumb, I really can't fault it.

I rather like VA panels and semi glossy coatings, so I would probably still be going with the first one if I were to buy today.
The matte coating, more consistent IPS pixel response times, and the fact that Pcmonitors.info didn't supply ICC profile this time because gamma is already fine, makes the D8 seem like a safer buy version of what was already a great deal.

AOC monitors are not necessarily bad, am running one (Q3277PQU) since almost 3 years daily (granted it's marketed as their "professional" line) at work and no signs of problems yet. With all brands you get to play the lottery and most suck when you actually need warranty for them, that's why shelling out 1k+ on a monitor is generally not a bright idea.

I've also got first hand experience with AOC at work (IT support) and we've got special contract on some fairly basic but suprisingly good IPS monitors 24" 1080p and 27" with either 1080p or 1440p options and they cost like very little, around $130 for the 24" and ~$260 for the 27" and so far they've been great with good crisp image, height adjustment, no quality control issues I've noticed and the 27" have this handy joystick single button menu system that works suprisingly good and they come with 3 types of cables in the box which is a godsent for IT supports. So far happy clients. I get the feeling AOC always prices it a little bit below the competition but offers the same quality control like anyone else.

Thanks for the replies, guys, I'm doing a forecast on my Christmas spending to see if I can safely buy. Normally I'd drop $300 without worry, but I just bought a GTX 1080 at the start of September.

I don't care that it doesn't have the gamer specs some people like - my old eyes won't be able to tell the difference (so get off my lawn). It seems decent, and cheap, and my friend's monitor is making me jealous.

Thanks for the replies, guys, I'm doing a forecast on my Christmas spending to see if I can safely buy. Normally I'd drop $300 without worry, but I just bought a GTX 1080 at the start of September.

I don't care that it doesn't have the gamer specs some people like - my old eyes won't be able to tell the difference (so get off my lawn). It seems decent, and cheap, and my friend's monitor is making me jealous.

In all seriousness, why would you buy a 1080 and then not consider a G Sync monitor? I know they cost more but, it would be worth it, in my opinion.

In all seriousness, why would you buy a 1080 and then not consider a G Sync monitor? I know they cost more but, it would be worth it, in my opinion.

I've never had a G Sync monitor, I've never had a monitor that could do more than 60hz, I don't play any online shooters, so I guess I don't see it as a big deal. If I buy this monitor I doubt I'll bother with the steps needed to make the Nvidia card run under FreeSync.

If I step down to a 27" monitor but stay at 2560x1440, the cheapest G Sync monitor I see on Newegg is $560.

I think I am buying this and will save my money for a 32" 4K when they truly come out with units that deserve it and not shitty 60Hz - bloom party models. It is a great value it seems.

Back