APC BE325R UPS $14.99 @ Circuit City--No Rebates

I grabbed two of these last time CC had this deal. A great deal, but I still have found no use for them since most of my equipment is already protected by UPS (plural) with higher output/battery.

These are great for alarm clocks, routers, cable modems, TiVo, etc - though @ 185W do not provide enough juice for most televisions.

I picked them up too when I saw them on slickdeals. One's going to be used for charter's phone cable modem, and the other... was to offset shipping. I'm sure I'll find a use for it ;)

Will this be completely useless for a 52" LCD as a surge protector?

get a panamax surge protector
there the best
ive seen them take alot of juice and still survive and not blow to pieces

Will this be completely useless for a 52" LCD as a surge protector?

Probably... Unless the TV is ULTRA efficient. Most 50"+ LCDs require 300 Watts or more. The UPS will not even power on with a load that high.

It can be used as a surge protector only by using one of the surge only outlets. You could put the cable/sat receiver on the battery.

sounds like great deal, but it's 1 minute at 185watts....

These definitely aren't going to backup your high end gaming pc's, but they're very nice for low load appliances; especially at this price. If you have a laptop, they're fantastic for providing backup power to modems and routers. They could also be handy for powering radios and small TV's during an emergency situation with now power.

thats a pretty good deal, plus buy 2 and get free shipping (shipping cant be cheap for a pair of these)

i missed out on this deal a few weeks back when it was available, but ended up going with an ES series BE650G for my tv and two tivo's

but I still have found no use for them since most of my equipment is already protected by UPS (plural)

Wouldn't plural UPS be either UPS' or UPS's? :D

Seriously though, thx op now I just need to figure out what I'm gonna do with 1 more UPS let alone 2??

sounds like great deal, but it's 1 minute at 185watts....

That's enough time to click Save. It will also keep your PC running when the electricity flickers on and off, which happens more often than a total outage.

get a panamax surge protector
there the best
ive seen them take alot of juice and still survive and not blow to pieces

A surge protector does exactly that: it protects from power surges. They don't help in the event of a dropout or brownout. This'll last long enough to quickly hibernate your PC.

That's enough time to click Save. It will also keep your PC running when the electricity flickers on and off, which happens more often than a total outage.

Correct. The run of the mill UPS is intended to do precisely that, and rarely more. They provide sufficient time for saves and shutdowns, and protect against flickering power, (brown-outs?). They are not designed to act as a supplemental power source for a device.

For those of you not sitting on a main grid, the removal of brownout shut-downs alone will make you love this thing! Nothing says FU more then causing a wipe in a 25man raid because the lights flicker...

Think of this as more of a surge protector rather than a UPS. But, backing up relatively low power items such as a cable/DSL modems, router/switch, alarm clock, etc. would last much longer than backing up a PC.

For those of you not sitting on a main grid, the removal of brownout shut-downs alone will make you love this thing! Nothing says FU more then causing a wipe in a 25man raid because the lights flicker...
Again though, if you have a medium power gaming rig that draws 250W+, this thing might not even turn your PC on.

Received one of mine today and I'm happy with it for $14.99. Only thing to note is that it was inspected back in Feb '07 so that makes the battery 19 months old(at least). Hopefully the lack of charge didn't kill it.

Thanks again OP... just wish they weren't OOS 'cause I could use two more for the lamps in the kids rooms. ;)

Back