APC or Liebert?

• APC 1000VA

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Liebert PowerSure PSA 1000VA

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
My existing Belkin F6C120-UNV is about 6 years old, and as you can guess the battery is shot in it. Since Belin wants $150 for a pair of new ones I decided just to recycle the unit and buy a new one.

The load on my existing ups is around 600VA. I think I am just going to get a 1000VA one to future expansion, but am unsure if I want an APC or Liebert one.

I know that Liebert does some awesome and reliable datacenter protection but also realize that APC has been around for a while as well.

So, is it APC or Liebert?

I don't see many Liebert supplies around here for the small applications. I think both companies have very good reputations for power protection and I don't think you can go too wrong with either one. I'd let the cost sort it out personally.

Liebert unless the APC is notably cheaper. APC SmartUPS is very good, but I think Liebert is just a little better.

Ok, I have decided to go with the Liebert but think I may have a potential issue with their software.

It looks like Emerson has fallen pretty far behind on their software and has not written any new drivers for Windows Vista. Additionally, I will be running this UPS in a 64-bit environment so I need additional drivers to support this type of environment. I called them and left a message asking them if they have such drivers (or are planning any) and will post back here once I receive a reply.

I also noticed that Cyber Power makes Vista X64 compatible software. They look to be a new player in the game. Anyone know how reliable they are?

Cyber Power has been around for quite a few years now. I've used a couple of their UPS' and never had a problem with them, though I just feel more comfortable with an APC which is what I'm running now.

Don't know if you're still considering the APC, but I've been running APC for several years now, with no problems... always there when I need it. Actually just loaded up my 1250VA APC UPS for my Vista x64 box and it looks nicely compatible. Vista seemed to set it up without the APC software installed, fwiw. Also, APC had a specific download of the management software just for Vista. I also have a second 750VA (the BB model, also fwiw) for the home theater setup.

Good luck either way.

Back