Apogee - first impressions

R1ckCa1n said:
I forgot to mention that I did not gain any extra overclocking by switching from a AquaComputer Cuplex XT to a Storm?

Now why am I not suprised. :p

R1ckCa1n said:
I forgot to mention that I did not gain any extra overclocking by switching from a AquaComputer Cuplex XT to a Storm?

Which doesn't prove anything other than your particular rig does not benefit from a slight increase in performance (most likely a slight increase, for all we know it could have been a decrease). You may well have reached a wall for your current hardware.

Overclocking is so random it is pretty much a useless measure of cooling IMO.

Imitation said:
I opened mine up last night and it didn't have all the shaving and stuff in it, maybe some of you guys just had a bad batch.

It's not just 'laying' around in there. Get a magnifying glass and look. or scrape through a channel or two with a small screwdriver.

orkan said:
It's not just 'laying' around in there. Get a magnifying glass and look. or scrape through a channel or two with a small screwdriver.

I did about 4 of them at even intervals across the block, then I turned it over and tapped it on the white paper I had sitting on the table, nothing came out. I applied much more pressure than the water will be exerting on the block. I didn't have any burrs or anything fall onto the paper.

I got one today.
I did not find any crap inside, block look clean. I still went with the screw driver through the pins and nothing. I was running DD TDX brass top block on my X2 3800 at 2.5 @ 1.4V. Temps drop 2C... well.. I used their stuff to tight it down and the temps are not stable. I was getting 42C under load with TDX stable, now it's jumping 36-40C every 2 secs or so. Maybe it's not flat on CPU? I'll try DD springs tomorrow and follow up.
So far not too bad coming from TDX.

Jag said:
What? Bio have you ever seen a NexXos block? They have G1/4 threads much like the Storm and you can put any kind of fittings to suit your needs (be it 3/8 or 1/2).
I've got a NexXos sitting around here somewhere and with the way the block mounts, the mount bracket gets in the way of large (normal) tubes............. :D
I suppose you could RIG something to work, but that's not the way I do things.................. :eek:

dsc006200rd.jpg

Erasmus354 said:
pimping companies is worthless....pimping products is what people should be doing.

I totally agree, which is why I pimp the hell out of a great many products made by Aqua Computer. Mind you they also have dogs as well that I don't talk a lot about. :D

Bio-Hazard said:
I've got a NexXos sitting around here somewhere and with the way the block mounts, the mount bracket gets in the way of large (normal) tubes. I suppose you could RIG something to work, but that's not the way I do things.

dsc006200rd.jpg

You must have a really old block as the newer ones use a different attachment method or have acrylic tops.

639_0.jpg

642_0.jpg

Top Nurse said:
I totally agree, which is why I pimp the hell out of a great many products made by Aqua Computer

"Oh man, I sure do love paying $500 for foreign watercooling that [H]ardly beats my stock heatsink!"

I have a friend who was looking at the Apogee, but this totally turned him away from it. Now hes thinking possibly the Storm, although I'm urging him to go Danger Den. Why? Because they make quality parts (IE no shavings or general cheapness) that do what they're made to do: cool. They look damn good too. I know the Storms a good block and all, but guys gotta admit...its an eyesore.

CHAoS_NiNJA said:
"Oh man, I sure do love paying $500 for foreign watercooling that [H]ardly beats my stock heatsink!".

no need to bash some one else for the products they run. its point less.
the hardly beats my stock heatsink is a wild comment on its own. please think before you type.

CHAoS_NiNJA said:
"Oh man, I sure do love paying $500 for foreign watercooling that [H]ardly beats my stock heatsink!"

Back the flame train up chief.

Even crappy 8mm european garbage WC systems beat stock hsf's by quite a bit. Pretty close idle temps maybe... but not load temps.

Here is some [H]ard data for your a$$:

Thermal conductivity
k
( W.m-1. K-1 )

Air

Water

Water is over TWICE as good a heat conductor as air. The only liquid better is mercury. No gas can even come close.

CHAoS_NiNJA said:

I have a friend who was looking at the Apogee, but this totally turned him away from it. Now hes thinking possibly the Storm, although I'm urging him to go Danger Den. Why? Because they make quality parts (IE no shavings or general cheapness) that do what they're made to do: cool. They look damn good too. I know the Storms a good block and all, but guys gotta admit...its an eyesore.
in the first place, although it does not keep things quite as cool as a top-end high-flowing system, the good low flow equipment does a lot better than a stock heatsink.

second, unless you are actually referring to the site, tossing square brackets around letters doesn't impress much of anyone.

finally, until the recent issues with dented rads, and this block with cuttings in it, swiftech had an absolutely sterling reputation for producing quality products. dangerden with their cracking luxite tops and glue on their threads has had a longer history of cheapness in my opion.

i don't llike the way that the storm look, but it does what it was meant to do: cool. it just happens to do it better than anything that DD makes, while it's at it.

TehRoflcopter said:
So. I've decided that Erasmus and DFI Daishi both get 2 large E-Cookies.

*hands you guys the cookies*
*examines cookie*

this has nuts in it, doesn't it?

it's a conspiracy! he's trying to kill me! help!

he must be working with the A-C users to silence me.

*grabs his gear and jumps in front of dashi with a menacing look*

I have an accurized Olympic Arms 16" SUM AR-15, 5 loded 40rd magazines, and 20yrs of hunting experience ... and I'm not afraid to use them to defend dashi's honor!

all cookies must come through me!

The biggest reason for all the concern on money and profit for Swiftech is that they just public on the stock exchange this year, they have to make make a good margin or die.......... :eek: That's the way of big business.

"SAINT PETERSBURG, FL--(BUSINESS WIRE)— Wednesday May 4th, 2005 —FutureTech Capital LLC today announced that its subsidiary FutureTech Capital has signed a contract with Rouchon Industries, Inc. (d.b.a. Swiftech) to provide OTC securities registration services and initiate the process to obtain an OTC Pinks listing for Rouchon Industries in exchange for a combination of cash fees and a block of shares of Rouchon Industries common stock. Through the OTC securities registration solution offered by FutureTech Capital, Rouchon Industries will be able to register the resale of securities and become a publicly traded company. "

http://www.swiftnets.com/Media/5-4-05.htm

DFI Daishi said:
*examines cookie*

this has nuts in it, doesn't it?

it's a conspiracy! he's trying to kill me! help!

he must be working with the A-C users to silence me.

Me? Pimp A-C gear? Shit no! The only way I would ever consider pimping A-C gear is if they ditched the "Low Flow" bullshit and the ugly ass tiny tubes.

Erasmus354 said:
Which doesn't prove anything other than your particular rig does not benefit from a slight increase in performance (most likely a slight increase, for all we know it could have been a decrease). You may well have reached a wall for your current hardware.

Then again...maybe? <you have heard it all before so why go through it again>. :D

How about a really nice piece of e-pie that I especially baked for you and DFI? Tastes great, goes down smooth, and comes out just as smooth with no nuts whatsoever. It's my secret recipe Extra Lax Lemon Meringue. yuummmm!

TehRoflcopter said:
Me? Pimp A-C gear? Shit no! The only way I would ever consider pimping A-C gear is if they ditched the "Low Flow" bullshit and the ugly ass tiny tubes.
now why couldn't you have just rolled with it and continued the silliness/funniness........it was the kind of joke that only gets really funny if you take it WAY over the top.

orkan had the right idea (even if the details of his preferred weapon were a bit creepy)

so, do we need to ship you guys some more decent comics or something? we're still waiting to get back some of the ones that we have already loaned you. :)

Top Nurse said:
How about a really nice piece of e-pie that I especially baked for you and DFI? Tastes great, goes down smooth, and comes out just as smooth with no nuts whatsoever. It's my secret recipe Extra Lax Lemon Meringue. yuummmm!
it's the end of the term, and i really need a laugh....i don't have time for a suitable response just now, but i'm going to see if i can manage a little something on the weekend.

in the meantime:

*examines pie*

"no nuts in lemon, it MUST be okay"

*oh....oh my.....this is awkward."

"i haven't had to stay this close to the toilet since the last time i ate st someone's house without thinking about just how much milk some people put in their mashed potatoes"

dietary restrictions suck. and yeah, milk can do that when you're badly lactose intollerant. :(

Hrm, I was really looking at getting an apogee for my first wc'ing setup since it covers my current 478, and when I upgrade to 775 pretty soon I'm covered there too. But I'm kinda unsure about getting one now. Are there any other "universal" ones that are good quality?

l1zrdking said:
Hrm, I was really looking at getting an apogee for my first wc'ing setup since it covers my current 478, and when I upgrade to 775 pretty soon I'm covered there too. But I'm kinda unsure about getting one now. Are there any other "universal" ones that are good quality?
the swiftech storm:

Assembly including waterblock, hold-down plate, retention hardware for Intel socket 478 (Intel® Pentium® 4), socket 775 (Pentium® 4 "Prescott"), socket 603-604 (Intel® Xeon™), socket 462 (AMD® Athlon®, Duron®, XP, MP), socket 754, 939, 940 (AMD® 64 bit processors), two sets of hose barbs (3/8" & 1/2"), installation guide

according to their website.

Erasmus354 said:

It pretty much tells me that larger tubing with the "best block available" won't result in better overclocks than the top end AC setup, in my rig.

Don't take it personal, it's just all this "high flow" versus "low flow" crap is a waste of time. What it really comes down to is personal preference. ;)

My case has needed some surgery to get the apex ultra kit into it. I don't really have the facilities or the time to do that until tomorrow night. Hopefully I can get the rad hole cut tomorrow night and get it started on the leak test after that. I won't get the system running until monday at the earliest. I'm surprised no one else has one running yet.

*nurse, dremel with a cutting disc please, STAT!* :D

Imitation said:
My case has needed some surgery to get the apex ultra kit into it. I don't really have the facilities or the time to do that until tomorrow night. Hopefully I can get the rad hole cut tomorrow night and get it started on the leak test after that. I won't get the system running until monday at the earliest. I'm surprised no one else has one running yet.

*nurse, dremel with a cutting disc please, STAT!* :D

Calls OR for a rush ortho job as we push the box into the recovery room. :D

R1ckCa1n said:
It pretty much tells me that larger tubing with the "best block available" won't result in better overclocks than the top end AC setup, in my rig.

Don't take it personal, it's just all this "high flow" versus "low flow" crap is a waste of time. What it really comes down to is personal preference. ;)

I totally agree about this. If you want to go big bore then go big bore. If you want to go small bore then go small bore. But whatever you do make sure you use good stuff or you will be sorry. :cool:

R1ckCa1n said:

I was taking nothing personally, merely pointing out that citing overclocking results when talking about cooling is a bit of a red herring. It has no direct relation to the cooling. The primary factor in overclocking is usually the hardware, at least once you move past stock cooling.

If when talking about cooling we move into the "its good enough" mentality then why should we be watercooling anyways? You can get largely the same overclocking results using an XP-120 with a quiet 120mm fan on it.

In the end you are exactly right, it comes down to personal preference, which is why I try to keep my comments as objective as possible. I recommend stuff based upon facts I can see, not something subjective such as looks. To take a quote from TN : different strokes for different folks. I merely wanted to point out the fallacy in trying to use overclocking results to justify your cooling choices.....when you shouldn't have to justify them in the first place.

Erasmus354 said:
I merely wanted to point out the fallacy in trying to use overclocking results to justify your cooling choices.....when you shouldn't have to justify them in the first place.

Is that the same fallacy as trying to use your choice of watercooling equipment to justify your overclocking results. ;)

Mmmm, anyone find a review for the Apogee yet? Can't wait to see some test results...

Hooked up my apogee today... only to find that it has a cracked top, and leaked everywhere.

... so much for testing. :rolleyes:
apogee_crack.jpg

I'm positive that just the first batch of these things are poorly made, probably because they were trying to rush them out there.

Time will tell though.

Back