Apple 30" Cinema display on PC :cool:

Carth: said:
Yes.."he" is the guy that posted up pics of his SO-CALLED 30" display. Which I'm still saying its not a 30" inch display. I say this because I just came back from the neighbor 2 doors down. He has one and his giant ass keyboard looks likes a damn palmpilot compared to the size of this monster display. What "he" has is a 23" inch. Cannot be 30"
I don't recall the OP posting pics of his monitor. Others have, and one in particular looked suspiciously small, but it wasn't the OP. I viewed one of the OP's game screenshots on my ACD, and it looked authentic at full res, but anyone with Photoshop skills can scale an image and make it look good. Please refer to the specific page on this thread where you saw the pic of the keyboard in question.

APOLLO said:
I don't recall the OP posting pics of his monitor. Others have, and one in particular looked suspiciously small, but it wasn't the OP. I viewed one of the OP's game screenshots on my ACD, and it looked authentic at full res, but anyone with Photoshop skills can scale an image and make it look good. Please refer to the specific page on this thread where you saw the pic of the keyboard in question.

Isn't this the link? Isn't this whole page on how this guy so-called got his so-called 30" display to work with a SLI setup?

APOLLO said:

Isn't this the link? Isn't this whole page on how this guy so-called got his so-called 30" display to work with a SLI setup?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=828776&page=30&pp=20

Carth: said:
No, you're mistaken. It primarily concerns adapting the ACD to PC use. At least this was the intent of the OP when he started it. The topic has diverged somewhat since the thread began one year ago.

The pics on that page do not belong to the OP. I don't believe this user claimed he had a SLI setup.

Wow, I go away for a few days, and an ignorant teenager slanders me all over the place, while placing a suspiciously advertisement-like post. You have been misled by the 'experts' at these companies; they don't know what they're talking about, and neither do you. Also, you could stand to consult a dictionary on the word 'ironic'.

I have zero need to lie about a computer system to get attention. If you doubt my credibility, perhaps you should google my name, or do a medline search.

Carth said:
I myself and various other computer companies are calling BS on this guy with the 30" inch screen. I myself am getting the MOTHER of all computer gaming systems built. I'm going with a company called digitalstormonline. I went to various others like Alienware and Falcon. But they were charging me too much for too little. And charging me for things that I didn't need.

Anyways..I wanted to get 2 Nvidia GeForce 7800gtx cards....SLI. They all told me that I can do this but with a monitor no bigger than 23" in order to get FULL resolution. Remember.....ALL THE COMPANIES I WENT TO SAID THIS...NOT ME!

That simply getting a 30" screen will not work with SLI setup. They all said that it CAN be done but with some problems and some drivers needed. But that I would NOT be getting the Full resolution of the monitor. And for that, why pay so much for a 30" if I would not be able to get the full resolution.

They all said that at least with a 23" monitor, I would not run into problems and at least I would get FULL resolution. I showed this link ( forum ) to all these companies. I even told them to go to the post with the guy showing his SO-CALLED Apple 30" monitor with SLI setup.

They all said...how ironic it is that he shows his SO-CALLED Apple 30" inch display but doesn't show his SLI setup. And one of them even said that the so-called 30" display he has is NOT a 30" display.

He said that because he said he has a 30" display. And he can tell that its not by 2 reasons. First, he said that the 30" display is much bigger than that. 2nd being that you can tell very easily by the size of the keyboard. He said...notice how the keyboard is in the middle and yet the sides of the this GIANT monitor are not that far away.

He then said that it's most likely a 23" display. He also said that he could be wrong...but that he has a 23" display and that this is how it looks like at his house. Hell! I have a 20" display and my keyboard and monitor don't look much different that this guys monitro and keyboard display!

Bottom line is that all these companies called BS on this guy having a so-called apple 30" display with SLI setup. The reasons being were the following....

1- that image doesn't look like a 30" display. It looks like a 23"

2- How ironic that he doesn't show his SLI setup

3- You can see jaggies very clearly.

4- if it is a SLI setup...than it simply was not running at full resolution because it CANNOT run at FULL resolution.

And my reason is because I E-mailed and PM'd this guy and asked him about all of this and he still hasn't gotten back to me.

You see jaggies very clearly. Sign that if it is a SLI setup and it is a SO-CALLED 30" display.....then the jaggies are there because full resolution was not being shown becauase it is not capable.

He said anti-aliasing was not on! Why the hell would you NOT have anit-alising on for????

I'm sure you all have heard or been on this website....www.expert-exchange.com ?

The largest community for expert computer help! I went there and asked on 4 seperate forums about this whole 30" inch display and SLI setup. They ALL agreed to what the other companies I spoke to on the phone said! They all agreed!

Blethrow said:
Wow, I go away for a few days, and an ignorant teenager slanders me all over the place, while placing a suspiciously advertisement-like post. You have been misled by the 'experts' at these companies; they don't know what they're talking about, and neither do you. Also, you could stand to consult a dictionary on the word 'ironic'.

I have zero need to lie about a computer system to get attention. If you doubt my credibility, perhaps you should google my name, or do a medline search.

Ok...first off I'm not a teenager. I'm a 30 year old man. And if you walk the walk...then talk the talk. Quit your blabbing and just show us proof then. If you say you so-called have an SLI setup using a 30" display AND AT FULL RESOLUTION. Then prove it to us. Show us pics. How did you do it? Be more specific. Now! If you right back saying something like.....

I DON'T NEED TO SHOW YOU OR ANYBODY S**T!!!!

Then that automatically goes to show that you're already full of it.

Just be nice, kind and mature and shows us how you did it. Teach us! Don't be greedy and selfish. Don't take pics of your so-called 30" display with SLI setup and taunt us like that. Hope to hear from you soon. Good day sir.

Lol, where to begin. First of all, you got 'talk' and 'walk' backwards.

Secondly, I have already shown pics, on multiple occasions. When I first got this monitor over a year ago, when I was one of the very first in the entire world to have it, I posted on the fact that it could be driven from a PC using a Quadro FX 3400 card at full res. That was the origin of this very thread, and the 110k views it has had, and the >645 replies. The pictures I posted at the time were linked in hardware blogs all over the world. To my knowledge, I was the first person in the global community to prove that it could be driven by a PC.

This summer I replaced the Quadro with two 7800GTX cards. Again, I was I think the first to show that the card could drive this monitor at full res, either singly or in SLI. Come to think of it, I think someone else showed SLI first, as I was in Indonesia for a few weeks when the cards were first coming out. You ask me to describe how I did it, but what is the mystery? Get SLI motherboard. Get two 7800 GTX cards. Insert. Enable SLI. Done. You claim to have talked to someone at nVidia and they said it won't do SLI. If that is true, then that person clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. In my experience, tech support monkeys often don't. Maybe you could try again, and try to get someone higher up, or better yet an actual engineer with experience with the system in question.

I have posted screenshots of BF2 running in SLI at full res. The images are 2560 x 1600. If you look at them, at distant objects, you will see single pixel aliasing on edges. Thus there is no way they could have been upsampled from a lower resolution.

I use this computer almost entirely for my scientific research, analyzing mass spectrometry data and modelling protein structures. The cost of the entire system, monitor included, comprises less than 2% of my research equipment cost. Why would I want to lie or exagerate about a computer? So I can pretend to have a 30" monitor? Please.

If you still doubt me, well, that's your problem. I'm not here as a public service for you, and I've already done more than anyone else to define the technical limits of using this monitor with a PC.

Carth said:
Ok...first off I'm not a teenager. I'm a 30 year old man. And if you walk the walk...then talk the talk. Quit your blabbing and just show us proof then. If you say you so-called have an SLI setup using a 30" display AND AT FULL RESOLUTION. Then prove it to us. Show us pics. How did you do it? Be more specific. Now! If you right back saying something like.....

I DON'T NEED TO SHOW YOU OR ANYBODY S**T!!!!

Then that automatically goes to show that you're already full of it.

Just be nice, kind and mature and shows us how you did it. Teach us! Don't be greedy and selfish. Don't take pics of your so-called 30" display with SLI setup and taunt us like that. Hope to hear from you soon. Good day sir.

Blethrow said:
Lol, where to begin. First of all, you got 'talk' and 'walk' backwards.

Secondly, I have already shown pics, on multiple occasions. When I first got this monitor over a year ago, when I was one of the very first in the entire world to have it, I posted on the fact that it could be driven from a PC using a Quadro FX 3400 card at full res. That was the origin of this very thread, and the 110k views it has had, and the >645 replies. The pictures I posted at the time were linked in hardware blogs all over the world. To my knowledge, I was the first person in the global community to prove that it could be driven by a PC.

This summer I replaced the Quadro with two 7800GTX cards. Again, I was I think the first to show that the card could drive this monitor at full res, either singly or in SLI. Come to think of it, I think someone else showed SLI first, as I was in Indonesia for a few weeks when the cards were first coming out. You ask me to describe how I did it, but what is the mystery? Get SLI motherboard. Get two 7800 GTX cards. Insert. Enable SLI. Done. You claim to have talked to someone at nVidia and they said it won't do SLI. If that is true, then that person clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. In my experience, tech support monkeys often don't. Maybe you could try again, and try to get someone higher up, or better yet an actual engineer with experience with the system in question.

I have posted screenshots of BF2 running in SLI at full res. The images are 2560 x 1600. If you look at them, at distant objects, you will see single pixel aliasing on edges. Thus there is no way they could have been upsampled from a lower resolution.

I use this computer almost entirely for my scientific research, analyzing mass spectrometry data and modelling protein structures. The cost of the entire system, monitor included, comprises less than 2% of my research equipment cost. Why would I want to lie or exagerate about a computer? So I can pretend to have a 30" monitor? Please.

If you still doubt me, well, that's your problem. I'm not here as a public service for you, and I've already done more than anyone else to define the technical limits of using this monitor with a PC.

I was told by all these companies that I spoke to that having 2 Nvidia 512mb cards in SLI setup using a 30" display was possible. But that I would NOT get FULL RESOLUTION. So the question still stands. If you are getting Full Resolution, how did you achieve that? Did you use a special driver? Or did you just hook up the monitor to the computer and that was it?!

Damn! I even went to www.experts-exchange.com and many gurus there said the same thing. That I can do the 30" display but that I would not get full resolution with a SLI setup. That in order to get full resolution I would have to stick to just ONE card. Not TWO!

The question still stands like I said. How did you acheive this?

Cool, it sounds like you definitely tried hard to find out, and I can understand your subsequent skepticism. However, there seems to be a lot of bad info out there since very few people, even the relevant engineers, have actually used one of the monitors with a top end graphics subsystem. I think a lot of the time they just pass on whatever conventional wisdom they've heard, and usually it's really just speculation.

Anyway, no special driver was required, the cards are functional in SLI at full res with all the nVidia drivers that have been current since the I got the cards in mid summer. I know that near the release time of these cards there was a lot of discussion that SLI might not be possible at full res, but I went ahead and rolled the dice and they work. I suppose it's possible that it is something specific about the version from eVGA, which is what I have, but that seems pretty unlikely to me. FWIW, my motherboard is an Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe.

Carth said:
I was told by all these companies that I spoke to that having 2 Nvidia 512mb cards in SLI setup using a 30" display was possible. But that I would NOT get FULL RESOLUTION. So the question still stands. If you are getting Full Resolution, how did you achieve that? Did you use a special driver? Or did you just hook up the monitor to the computer and that was it?!

Damn! I even went to www.experts-exchange.com and many gurus there said the same thing. That I can do the 30" display but that I would not get full resolution with a SLI setup. That in order to get full resolution I would have to stick to just ONE card. Not TWO!

The question still stands like I said. How did you acheive this?

Blethrow said:
Cool, it sounds like you definitely tried hard to find out, and I can understand your subsequent skepticism. However, there seems to be a lot of bad info out there since very few people, even the relevant engineers, have actually used one of the monitors with a top end graphics subsystem. I think a lot of the time they just pass on whatever conventional wisdom they've heard, and usually it's really just speculation.

Anyway, no special driver was required, the cards are functional in SLI at full res with all the nVidia drivers that have been current since the I got the cards in mid summer. I know that near the release time of these cards there was a lot of discussion that SLI might not be possible at full res, but I went ahead and rolled the dice and they work. I suppose it's possible that it is something specific about the version from eVGA, which is what I have, but that seems pretty unlikely to me. FWIW, my motherboard is an Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe.

Case: Digital Storm Twister Series (Black Edition)
Power Supply: Epower 650W EP-650P5-L1 Tiger (SLI Compatible)
Processor: AMD Athlon FX-57 (1MB Cache) w/HyperTransport Technology
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (Chipset: nForce4 SLI) (Dual 1GB Lan / 10 USB / 2 Firewire)
Memory: 2GB Super Talent at 400MHz (CL2 Low Lat.) (2x 1GB Dual Chan.) (Lifetime Warr.)
Floppy / Media: Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB SATA (10K RPM) (8MB Cache) (Model WD360GD)
Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB (By: MSI) (PCI-Express) 2 cards SLI

Well these are the specs for my computer. The only game I'm interested in playing right now is World of Warcraft. I want to play this game at full video settings. With very high FPS. And FULL RESOLUTION on a Apple 30" Display.

The system should be arriving to me soon. But I still do not have a monitor for this computer. And that's because I'm still doing research on wether or not I can have an Apple 30" display with this computer.

To be honest...I'm waiting on you to see if you can help me? Or at least verify that you are pretty sure this will work for me. Like I said...the computer will arrive soon and yet I have no monitor for it. Please get back to me. Thank you. If you like to reach me direct. You can E-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

have you folks heard about Dell's rumored 3007fwp display? same as apple's resolution and has DVI-HDCP+component input. anyone?

Carth said:
Yes.."he" is the guy that posted up pics of his SO-CALLED 30" display. Which I'm still saying its not a 30" inch display. I say this because I just came back from the neighbor 2 doors down. He has one and his giant ass keyboard looks likes a damn palmpilot compared to the size of this monster display. What "he" has is a 23" inch. Cannot be 30"

a palm pilot!..? i think not Carth.

How bout you take a few pics and show us the proof of that? hang on! i'll do it for you :mad:

Ive had the same Standard Keybord for a while now! which is good.......

A 20" Vewsonic in the middle with 15"s on the side.

The Keyboard Dwarfs the 20"

8ECV4154.jpg

A diff angle...same keyboard but with 17" side mons...

DSCF0020.jpg

The Same keyboard... now infornt of a HP 23" wide

DSCF0773.jpg

The same Keyboard again! but now infront of the ASD 30" with 1 x 20" wide ASD each side.

DSCF0012.jpg

Same setup again ....just a diff angle.

DSCF0002.jpg

I use this KB cause its actually smaller than standard ones................

Hi Everyone, this is a really long thread, its been a long time since anyone bumped it, anyways am in the market for a new screen, i already have a BenQ 30 but its been a pain since i bought it.

Am looking to the 30 Cinema display, i have a nice deal to pick one up for 1500 locally, but am worried about this resolution and Video cards combatability debate.

Questions:

1.I have an NVIDIA 7800 GTX 256, will this V.Card work?
2.Incase i upgrade my PC in the future, how hard is it to fin Dual Link DVI Vid cards in the market? is it a new technology or is it just a feature that showed up for some time?
3.Any recommendations for Video Cards that will maximize my experience with this display?
4.Do you like your 30's? :p

If i keep my current screen for a week i might throw it along with my eyes in the garbage, am suffering from Eye Strain.

Thanks for your time and support.
Mohammed

Hi Everyone, this is a really long thread, its been a long time since anyone bumped it, anyways am in the market for a new screen, i already have a BenQ 30 but its been a pain since i bought it.

Am looking to the 30 Cinema display, i have a nice deal to pick one up for 1500 locally, but am worried about this resolution and Video cards combatability debate.

Questions:

1.I have an NVIDIA 7800 GTX 256, will this V.Card work?
2.Incase i upgrade my PC in the future, how hard is it to fin Dual Link DVI Vid cards in the market? is it a new technology or is it just a feature that showed up for some time?
3.Any recommendations for Video Cards that will maximize my experience with this display?
4.Do you like your 30's? :p

If i keep my current screen for a week i might throw it along with my eyes in the garbage, am suffering from Eye Strain.

Thanks for your time and support.
Mohammed

1. Yes, this is the exact same card I am currently using.
2. Very easy, they are ubiquitous nowadays.
3. Any 8000-series or 9000-series NVidia card is highly recommended. The latest 3000-series ATI cards are also good but I prefer NVidia.
4. Absolutely.

Hope this helps. :)

Ok Guys, I bought the screen, colors and the resolution is amazing, BUT

am having trouble browsing sites :mad:

I use firefox and although i can make text bigger, everything else is tiny, even this box am using to post, is very small, any 30 inch users have a solution to this? firefox doesnt not zoom in, instead it just makes text bigger.

youv been running this screen for a long time, any tips, tricks, add-ons, browser reccomendation is greatly appreciated, this is my only issue so far, everything else is great.

Thanks

Ok Guys, I bought the screen, colors and the resolution is amazing, BUT

am having trouble browsing sites :mad:

I use firefox and although i can make text bigger, everything else is tiny, even this box am using to post, is very small, any 30 inch users have a solution to this? firefox doesnt not zoom in, instead it just makes text bigger.

youv been running this screen for a long time, any tips, tricks, add-ons, browser reccomendation is greatly appreciated, this is my only issue so far, everything else is great.
Glad you like the display. Well, other than using another browser, there isn't much I can recommend at this point. I use Opera, and it is by far the best browser for scaling. Nothing else approaches it. It does real zooming of the entire web page, and image scaling is phenomenal with little artifacting. Actually, I read somewhere that Opera employs a proprietary method for image scaling, and if true, I wouldn't be surprised. In any case, I suggest you DL and give it a try because the inconvenience you are reporting is best solved by using another browser optimized for sizing web pages.

Works very well, i need some time to get used to it, it lacks some of the add ons in firefox, such as chosing wich tabs to restore up to 100 tabs you closed, and the Crtl Click to open links in a new tab without transfering you to the new tab, just opens it with a Crtl + Click, am finding my way around it.

but the Text and page fit and layout is great, alot better than FF.

Thanks for the recommendations and your time.

Works very well, i need some time to get used to it, it lacks some of the add ons in firefox, such as chosing wich tabs to restore up to 100 tabs you closed, and the Crtl Click to open links in a new tab without transfering you to the new tab, just opens it with a Crtl + Click, am finding my way around it.

but the Text and page fit and layout is great, alot better than FF.

Thanks for the recommendations and your time.
No problem. Opera is extremely configurable, probably more so than all other browsers combined. If you go to their forums, you'll see links to sites with add-ons, skins, toolbar buttons, etc. Pretty much what FireFox can do, so can Opera, maybe more. The tab feature you mentioned is probably a setting somewhere in the browser.

Hmmm...
I just bought this screen as well!
It's great, however i seem to get this flickering of pixels on black pixels.

When I was testing it in store, it was working fine with a macbook pro. Blacks came out fine and no flickering at all.

But when I plug it at home, i get the flickering.
Has anyone else got this problem? I'm going to try it out with my other PC box. Hoping it'll work.
I'm running an X1950pro....and I don't think that's the problem....I was running a dell 2407WFP-HC before.

Does this display work best with Apple products only or something???

It's REALLY annoying when i'm watching movies and such.

Hmmm...
I just bought this screen as well!
It's great, however i seem to get this flickering of pixels on black pixels.

When I was testing it in store, it was working fine with a macbook pro. Blacks came out fine and no flickering at all.

But when I plug it at home, i get the flickering.
Has anyone else got this problem? I'm going to try it out with my other PC box. Hoping it'll work.
I'm running an X1950pro....and I don't think that's the problem....I was running a dell 2407WFP-HC before.

Does this display work best with Apple products only or something???

It's REALLY annoying when i'm watching movies and such.

Get powerstrip and turn the vertical refresh rate down a very small amount, apparently that's the fix Hazro are suggesting for their monitors which have the same problem.

Get powerstrip and turn the vertical refresh rate down a very small amount, apparently that's the fix Hazro are suggesting for their monitors which have the same problem.

Awesome!
Thanks alot, I will try it tonight after work....can't wait!

Yeah, my guess is the new 30" will be coming out in January.

Anyways, I got the powerstrip running and it solves all the black flicking when i'm on my desktop and such.

However, i get those lines back when I enter a game. Is there a way to transfer the refresh rate of my screen to specific games??
:(

Sucks to have such a huge screen not doesn't work for my games....

Back