Apple Boot Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't installed XP on this thing yet, but tomorrow I'm going to put XP on my Macbook. if anything goes horribly wrong I'll post it up here.

Yeah, that boot camp thing by mac is pretty sweet. When the final version of bootcamp comes out, then i'm going to look more into it and then maybe think about getting a nice mac laptop down the road. I've never used the mac OS but I could start and being able to use the laptop with windows would be the best of both worlds. Its like haveing two computers in one.

yeah, i can't wait until I can actually play FEAR on my MBP!

the funny thing is the only thing i'm going to use windows for is games!

cnet.com has a video up that shows it adds an icon to the control panel for startup disk and looks very slick.

Just a word of warning:

I completely hosed my osx partition on an iMac Core Duo 20" (128mb vram). One other person has had the same thing happen, so it's rare, but not unique.

First I applied the firmware patch successfully (it said that it was up to date upon reboot), and updated osx to the latest version.

Then the fun began. I partitioned using boot camp, and made an 80gb partition for Windows, and left 150gb or thereabouts for osx, with about 20gb of space used in osx. I rebooted and started windows setup, then noticed that it had my osx FREE SPACE listed as a partition. It did not show 130gb free and 150gb total, it simply showed the free space as a partition by itself.

I figured something was up, so I rebooted into osx (holding down 'option/alt'), and double checked my partitioning. Boot camp said that it was already partitioned correctly, and I rebooted and tried to install again, and the same thing happened. I was hesitatant to install windows on what I was almost certain was my osx partition, so I rebooted again and attempted to boot into osx.

Attempted is the key word here.

My osx partition was GONE. I tried a few things, and ended up trying to format and install over the osx partition, just to see how well windows ran. XP setup got to the first reboot, then... strangely it started setup all over again. Thinking it was booting from the cd mistakenly, I held down option/alt at bootup so that I could boot from the newly created and formatted Windows partition.

It was GONE.

I'm still at this stage, and while I'm sure using the osx restore dvd would work fine, I really want to get xp working, so I'm waiting for a response over at Apple's forums.

Good luck to anyone who tries this, and make sure to back up your files. Luckily there was nothing of value on the iMac. :)

Based on what novagamer192 said it might be worth it to wait until 10.5 comes out. I wish this was a more bulletproof solution though I find it weird Apple caved in so soon, maybe they'll be selling Windows soon.

benamaster said:
Based on what novagamer192 said it might be worth it to wait until 10.5 comes out. I wish this was a more bulletproof solution though I find it weird Apple caved in so soon, maybe they'll be selling Windows soon.

The majority of the people that have tried it say that it works wonderfully, and I would imagine once you get xp on the mac that it's pretty solid. I'm planning on getting an intel mac to dual boot with even though I've had a bad experience already (the iMac is not my personal machine). Just back up your stuff ot be safe :)

It would be fantastic if they partnered with Microsoft to bundle windows, in exchange for Microsoft offering phone support, but I doubt it will happen.

personaly i just want a native version of osX on my PC w/o dropping the money for a macbook pro (though running windows on it, and doing it well, will really increase the odds of buying on in the future)... also do you have to have osX on it to run windows or can you have a single partition HD?

benamaster said:
Apple DID not cave in soon AT ALL.

I work at Intel and my boss is the director of a test lab of about 75+ iMacs/PowerMacs. THey are constantly testing and re-testing things in there. It's amazing the power they've got in that lab.

So do not say Apple caved in, they've been doing this shit since August.

I installed Windows XP on my macbook pro earlier today (512mb of ram 1.8ghz core duo) if you read the little instruction guide it basically says ignore all of the other partitions and only install Windows XP on the C: partition which is what I did and everything worked well. The drivers disk is pretty damn helpful installing all of the drivers for you. The only thing I've had problems with is hitting ctrl+alt+del to log in, I had to pull out a usb PC keyboard that I had lying around. It boots up pretty quick and moves pretty quick once you're in it. I will try installing Oblivion and C&C Generals Zero Hour probably tomorrow.

ShimmyT said:
I installed Windows XP on my macbook pro earlier today (512mb of ram 1.8ghz core duo) if you read the little instruction guide it basically says ignore all of the other partitions and only install Windows XP on the C: partition which is what I did and everything worked well. The drivers disk is pretty damn helpful installing all of the drivers for you. The only thing I've had problems with is hitting ctrl+alt+del to log in, I had to pull out a usb PC keyboard that I had lying around. It boots up pretty quick and moves pretty quick once you're in it. I will try installing Oblivion and C&C Generals Zero Hour probably tomorrow.

You can remap the keys somehow, the onmac.net people have more information about that (they ran into the same issue obviously).

The process is indeed very streamlined and straightforward, I just wish my osx partition didn't show up as the only one (and therefore c:\) in the xp setup! :p

Enjoy gaming on your mac. :) I might try to install xp on my core duo mini tomorrow if time permits, though I doubt the intel graphics will give me any kind of decent gameplay.

I just never invisioned Apple making this utility. I'ved used macs for the past 12 years and remember the clones and the mac that had Windows 95/98. I just never thought we would see that again. I'm glad though, I think I might get a MacBook Pro and dual boot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back