Apple dumping 17" iMac's :)

PLmatt91

Limp Gawd
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/rumor/ap...imac-for-beefier-20-and-24-inchers-262477.php

PERFECT!

I'm totally waiting now for a different iMac now. Now that it'll probably have a faster processor, hopefully a better video card, then more people will buy iMac's more often.

I just have a question though, if I get that iMac with Tiger still on it, can I just go to the Apple store, under a warranty or not, and ask for an upgrade to Leopard and just pay that amount they ask me to?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/rumor/ap...imac-for-beefier-20-and-24-inchers-262477.php

PERFECT!

I'm totally waiting now for a different iMac now. Now that it'll probably have a faster processor, hopefully a better video card, then more people will buy iMac's more often.

I just have a question though, if I get that iMac with Tiger still on it, can I just go to the Apple store, under a warranty or not, and ask for an upgrade to Leopard and just pay that amount they ask me to?

I think they give out coupons or something? But then again they never admit release dates, I think I remember hearing they do give discounts to people who buy a new machine within x days or y months of a new OS or whatever.

Right now is NOT a good time to buy an iMac anyways. Rumor has it that Apple is going to revamp the iMac in late June. Check out MacRumors for their "Buyer's Guide".

Right now is NOT a good time to buy an iMac anyways. Rumor has it that Apple is going to revamp the iMac in late June. Check out MacRumors for their "Buyer's Guide".

I don't mean to be a prick, but the OP already determined that. He's asking whether or not to buy THAT slightly revamped iMac in June with Tiger installed WITHOUT waiting for Leopard. Try to read carefully next time.

And to the OP, I think it's within a month or two that you can get like a coupon or something for that upgrade to Leopard, because my friend had Panther for about a month until they released Tiger and with the help of complaining he got his Tiger upgrade for a good fraction of the cost.

I think that the 17 inch iMac should stay in the lineup. A lot of people don't even have room for a 20 inch iMac, much less the budget required for one of those things. I think it's getting way too limited, and the 20 inch iMac makes it cheaper for someone looking to buy a basic Mac to buy a Macbook. Apple needs to be making sub-$500 computers, and broadening their market share, I do not think that they will have the 17 inch out of the lineup for long as there is going to be a lot of upset people.

I think that the 17 inch iMac should stay in the lineup. A lot of people don't even have room for a 20 inch iMac, much less the budget required for one of those things. I think it's getting way too limited, and the 20 inch iMac makes it cheaper for someone looking to buy a basic Mac to buy a Macbook. Apple needs to be making sub-$500 computers, and broadening their market share, I do not think that they will have the 17 inch out of the lineup for long as there is going to be a lot of upset people.

Apple knows this. I'm sure pricing will be adjusted accordingly. Look at the Macbook. Its specs increased, and the price didn't. The longer you manufacture somethign the cheaper it gets.

I'd agree. While ordinarily price drops and Apple don't go together, in this case I think they'd likely do so. Considering how LCD panels have dropped anyways, it wouldn't be a huge hit to their margins anyways.

I don't think however that what Apple really needs to do is "broaden" its marketshare. Obviously they'll pick up what marketshare they can, but changing their targeting strategy just to get a larger percentage of the market isn't good for their business, and they know that. Apple doesn't make computers that are alright for everyone - it makes computers that are great for a portion of the market.
That's why the mini has never been targeted as a "budget" Mac, but as an entry level, but still high quality machine.

They could make sub-$500 machines and sell a lot of them, but chances are they wouldn't be close to what most people would consider a true Mac quality, and eventually their business would suffer.

mac mini is $599... which isnt that horrible really...

or if you are bored you can just hack a mactv i guess

mac mini is $599... which isnt that horrible really...
You must admit that for the money you could get something a bit better. I'm very surprised that the Mini doesn't have a C2D in it while the rest of Apple's line does.

Hell, I've been waiting for them to update the Mini to something decent for a while now (7300 based IGP and a C2D).

Back