Apple has 95% of tablet market

srangara

Postposterous
heh, so much for it becoming the failure that so many people here predicted it would. I cant say that I'm real surprised honestly. Apples computers are a little rediculous at times, but their mobile devision are hitting home runs like crazy lately.

it figures, but i honestly have one reason fo rever even thinking of getting an iPad....to use as a remote for media center (very clever), but with the 10" Androids coming out, well ya you see where i'm going ;)

Did they indicate how they come to that stat? Because from what i've been observing, android china slates are saturating the market. They're mostly crap, but they're selling. An iPad is about two months salary, china pads are being snatched up by the *real* mass market and i'm not quite clear on how you're supposed to track them outside of a controlled environment like the US.

I've been holding out for something with real quality but the common users around me are already getting theirs.

HAHAHA, SLOOOOOOOOOOW tech news day when this fodder gets posted. Even sadder is the writer who threw this together.

Apple invents new device, and a new market. No one bothers to compete. Apple has 95% share.

Guess what ? I personally have a 100% market share on computers with black cases sitting under my desk. Yeah, its tuff being numbero uno and all but I think all the stress is worth it. Theres been a few competitors mentioning possibly putting another black cased pc under my desk but with my marketing wit and business suave I keep their numbers pushed way down:rolleyes:

this is no true surprise, since the iPad is the first major release of that product type. for now Apple has first mover advantage. The HP Slate, RIM Playbook, and Acer models are in the latter stages of the new product development cycle.

I predict that as the other major personal computer makers move in, their market share will fall, and prices will fall also. I also reckon that tablet sales would supplant desktop and some to some extent laptop sales. Tablets probably are the future of personal computers, and personal computing in general.

HAHAHA, SLOOOOOOOOOOW tech news day when this fodder gets posted. Even sadder is the writer who threw this together.

Apple invents new device, and a new market. No one bothers to compete. Apple has 95% share.

Guess what ? I personally have a 100% market share on computers with black cases sitting under my desk. Yeah, its tuff being numbero uno and all but I think all the stress is worth it. Theres been a few competitors mentioning possibly putting another black cased pc under my desk but with my marketing wit and business suave I keep their numbers pushed way down:rolleyes:

Let me guess, you mocked the ipad and said it would fail? The reason other companies aren't competing is because they were to short-sighted to know what the market wanted, and now they're scrambling to package some garbage together and call it an "ipad killer". Then when it doesn't sell because it's obviously a piece of shit, everyone will say it's because people who bought an ipad were brainwashed sheep.

Tablets probably are the future of personal computers, and personal computing in general.

Do those numbers count desktop OSes like Windows? The thing is that there are millions of Tablet PCs out there simply because they've been on the market for 8 years. Even if Tablet PC's are just 1/1000th of total PC sales there'd still be millions of them out there. Considered that HP, Toshiba, Fujitsu and others have been selling them for around close to a decade they have to be a few out there otherwise I seriously doubt that this many companies would have bothered.

I'm not an iPad fan but I've been big into slate Windows devices even before Tablet PCs launched in November 2002 and the success of the iPad is no surprise. Slate form factors simply allow for computers to be used in nontraditional ways and we love computers these days in all shapes and sites, desktops, laptops, phones and now slates.

I can sit back in my chair and with a pen handwrite this post, something you can't even do on an iPad. I LOVE the option of inking and siting back after typing all day while surfing.

But it's just another device, could replace other things but at the same time desktops and laptops still have their place and a slate experience is just one of many. The way we interact and use computers will continue to change and slates while seeming new are really an old idea, the iPad is just the most successful. consumer implementation of the form factor to date.

Do those numbers count desktop OSes like Windows? The thing is that there are millions of Tablet PCs out there simply because they've been on the market for 8 years. Even if Tablet PC's are just 1/1000th of total PC sales there'd still be millions of them out there. Considered that HP, Toshiba, Fujitsu and others have been selling them for around close to a decade they have to be a few out there otherwise I seriously doubt that this many companies would have bothered.

I'm not an iPad fan but I've been big into slate Windows devices even before Tablet PCs launched in November 2002 and the success of the iPad is no surprise. Slate form factors simply allow for computers to be used in nontraditional ways and we love computers these days in all shapes and sites, desktops, laptops, phones and now slates.

I can sit back in my chair and with a pen handwrite this post, something you can't even do on an iPad. I LOVE the option of inking and siting back after typing all day while surfing.

But it's just another device, could replace other things but at the same time desktops and laptops still have their place and a slate experience is just one of many. The way we interact and use computers will continue to change and slates while seeming new are really an old idea, the iPad is just the most successful. consumer implementation of the form factor to date.

I agree that tablets have been around for a while, and that the iPad is the most commercially successful tablet to date. However, because of this success I cannot see HP, Dell, Acer or even Lenovo sit back and watch Apple take the glory. It's simply not how markets operate.

I was reading recently that since the launch of the netbook, desktop sales have fallen relative to other personal computer types. As tablets and laptops have the advantage of portability, and similar functionality, it's just my opinion that desktops will in time be superseded.

Let me guess, you mocked the ipad and said it would fail? The reason other companies aren't competing is because they were to short-sighted to know what the market wanted, and now they're scrambling to package some garbage together and call it an "ipad killer". Then when it doesn't sell because it's obviously a piece of shit, everyone will say it's because people who bought an ipad were brainwashed sheep.

A lot of truth to this. But don't do the same thing and sell other devices short. The iPad is a great device but it has plenty of shortcomings and while other individual devices won't anytime sell as many units as the iPad, collectively they should do well and one day eclipse the iPad in total sales.

The HP Slate in certain areas is a better device than the iPad. Note taking, media playback, office productivity, artistic creativity and full web support are areas where the HP Slate is very strong against the iPad.

But the IT media seems to be focused only battery life and touch optimized UIs.

@ Ryan - I believe you didnt understand my post. Straight from this webpage http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/ comes this "It’s a whole new kind of device" The easier version where I fill in the blanks for you is as follows. Company A(pple) invents semi-new product. A year later, after no one else makes anything similar, bored writer decides that new product with virtually no competition and 95% market share is newsworthy.

Its like saying Ford has a 99% market share on all blue F-150's manufactured.
Well of course they do killer, theyre the only ones making a F-150 arent they?

Guess what, Apple also has almost all the market share for portable media devices called Ipods. Remarkably they also have nearly 100% market share for all portable computers named Macbook. They also, (I know, friggen amazing huh??) almost have the market closed on all in one computers named Imacs . In fact......get this....they even almost have the market on computers that use the Mac OS.:rolleyes:

The thing is that there are millions of Tablet PCs out there simply because they've been on the market for 8 years.

+1000

It hurts my feelings people call that "thing" a tablet. It would be like calling a iPhone, EVO, etc a small tablet.

...or do we now call convertible laptops...convertible laptops?

I'll be happy when this "touchscreen only" fad dies. I just hope they don't try to replace it with something goofy like voice control.

I'll be happy when this "touchscreen only" fad dies. I just hope they don't try to replace it with something goofy like voice control.

Yeah, touchscreen only isn't really all that fun for a lot of stuff but it is great for web browsing and eBooks and basic control. But people who actually think that something like the iPad is a good note taker? There are some ok apps out there trying to be wannabe OneNote replacements but seriously those things are toys. Some are slick looking and then you realize how little they actually do.

I really do blame Microsoft of this. They CLEARLY had the right idea in the Tablet PC and added incredible handwriting recognition that no one is going to replicate ever on an ARM based device but like a lot of things they do, they create a technically sophisticated product and then just kind of drop it. Now they can't so my guess is that Windows 8 is going to unleash some hellacious tech, some more Surface and Courier probably. And Kinect, that actually would be useful on a tablet, scrolling and zooming without even touching the device, that's the kind of thing Microsoft needs to get into Windows 8 and put some distance between it and ARM devices that don't have the power to drive these types of experiences.

And Intel and/or AMD needs to get more power efficient x86 platforms out the door. But I do give Apple all the credit for jump starting the slate form factor.

A lot of truth to this. But don't do the same thing and sell other devices short. The iPad is a great device but it has plenty of shortcomings and while other individual devices won't anytime sell as many units as the iPad, collectively they should do well and one day eclipse the iPad in total sales.

The HP Slate in certain areas is a better device than the iPad. Note taking, media playback, office productivity, artistic creativity and full web support are areas where the HP Slate is very strong against the iPad.

But the IT media seems to be focused only battery life and touch optimized UIs.

First up: yes, the analyst figures include Windows tablets. The total Windows tablet PC market for 2010 is estimated to be 1.25 million (a decline from 1.5 million in 2009). Apple sold that in just over a month, and Samsung will have sold that many Galaxy Tabs between October and early 2011.

I would agree the HP Slate is better for certain kinds of work and certain kinds of art, but for media playback and the web, an iPad is better. No Flash is a definite limit, but if you're not going to have a mouse, you want as much multi-touch and natural gesturing as possible. The media playing apps on the iPad are designed for touch; trying to control Windows Media Player, Winamp or (yes) iTunes with a finger or a pen is a hassle.

Battery life and a finger-friendly UI are important because of what a touch-only tablet is supposed to do for the mainstream user, i.e. not you. If it's going to always be with you, it can't die in less than five hours like the HP Slate will or virtually call out for another hardware peripheral (the iPad benefits from it, but it's much less essential).

I'll also add this: HP is refusing to give out review units for the Slate under the pretense that this doesn't happen for enterprise devices. Much in the same way that a movie studio refuses to give advance screening for a terrible movie.

Tablet PC numbers have always been held close to the vest, they are not easy come by so an official estimate doesn't mean that much, especially with the best Windows slate to be released the year, the HP Slate not counted, who could they estimate a pre-order? From what I've heard HP has already pre-sold it's first two batches of Slates and the lead times are increasing. Then there's the Exo devices. If the Tablet PC is just slightly off that's actually a bit of a moral victory considering the iPads enourmous sucess. But there are Tablet PCs that are bucking those numbers. HP has sold a TON of tm2s and I'm hearing that it's do for it's THRID refresh later this month in less than a year on the market. Are those numbers probably aren't counting convertibles

And sorry web browsing and both Windows Media Player and Center are totally touch capable. I can browse just as fast ot faster on my tm2 and play back media just as easily as I can on an iPad, the actuall interaction isn't all that different but the iPad does have a better zooming. But a tm2 or even a W100 simply CRUSHES an iPad at page loading speeds. And with IE 9 scrolling is very smooth, not at the level of the iPad but very enjoyable. Plus I could use FF or Chrome and use the same extensions that I have on the desktop. And Windows supports all media formats, no conversions necessary.

But the iTunes and Zune client are not finger friendly I give you that.

I've talked to several people that have use the Slate pre-production models. Most of them are very impressed with it. It's pretty zippy, the screen is nice and bright and the inking experience is top notch. This device is really top notch apparently, no iPad killer but when people see how well this thing works with note taking even some iPad owers will pick it up just for that purpose.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioning the IBM ThinkPads. The one I had years ago was just amazing, open the lid and its a laptop, flip the screen and you got a tablet, stylus and all, with all the functionalities it had as a laptop in addition to being able to draw on the screen.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioning the IBM ThinkPads. The one I had years ago was just amazing, open the lid and its a laptop, flip the screen and you got a tablet, stylus and all, with all the functionalities it had as a laptop in addition to being able to draw on the screen.

thats what a convertible PC/Windows Tablet is......and I love my 2740p(HP's elitebook like the Lenovo X201)

Heh, it should be changed to Apple has 95% of Apple table market. 95% because it gives them an excuse to say that grew by 5% whenever they need to say they got growth. :p

The problem is that most apple consumers are told what they want by steve jobs as opposed to the other way around.

The problem is that most apple consumers are told what they want by steve jobs as opposed to the other way around.

lol The simple truth is that Apple was able to build a better functioning device at a better price point than their competition and now they're reaping the benefits. Perhaps if HP/DELL/ASUS/etc would of listened to consumers a few years ago instead of focusing on underpowered netbooks, they wouldn't be playing catchup right now. The market was there long before rumors of an 'iPad' even started to circulate. Until the ipad was released, most (if not all) slate, tablet and MID devices were way out of the average consumers price range. They were a luxory toy at best.

Love or hate Apple, they saw an untapped market, invested in it and it's paying off for them. Dismissing its success as nothing more than "being told they want it" is illogical.

lol The simple truth is that Apple was able to build a better functioning device at a better price point than their competition and now they're reaping the benefits. Perhaps if HP/DELL/ASUS/etc would of listened to consumers a few years ago instead of focusing on underpowered netbooks, they wouldn't be playing catchup right now. The market was there long before rumors of an 'iPad' even started to circulate. Until the ipad was released, most (if not all) slate, tablet and MID devices were way out of the average consumers price range. They were a luxory toy at best.

Love or hate Apple, they saw an untapped market, invested in it and it's paying off for them. Dismissing its success as nothing more than "being told they want it" is illogical.

I guarantee you if some other company made the ipad (with of course different name / looks), the same people who bought the ipad would not have bought this other product.

I guarantee you if some other company made the ipad (with of course different name / looks), the same people who bought the ipad would not have bought this other product.

perhaps, although you have to admit that Apple did a great job of getting the word out too.... something that not many electronics companies do well (or at all) these days. I was telling my father about the Archos 10" and the galaxy tablet and he had no clue what the hell I was talking about until I told him that they "were like an ipad"

He's never used one, but he knows what it does and the purpose it serves. Most consumers probably fall into that same category. Us geeks are a very small minority. Not many people follow electronics as closely as we do.

Probably some wouldn't, but how many of these mythical devices would have been sold to those who's hatred for Apple is so visceral? While there are "Apple Fans", there are "Anti-Apple Fans" who will never buy anything from Apple ever.

You can't tell me that many of them wouldn't have bought the Not-an-iPad?

This is not Apple's fault. they simply are skilled in promotion and communicating their products. another aspect is the success of the iPod and iPhone. Apple's brand name sets it apart, and that is to Jobs' credit, not faulting.

Probably some wouldn't, but how many of these mythical devices would have been sold to those who's hatred for Apple is so visceral? While there are "Apple Fans", there are "Anti-Apple Fans" who will never buy anything from Apple ever.

You can't tell me that many of them wouldn't have bought the Not-an-iPad?

Not an Apple fan, not a hater though but I did by the HP Slate and the W100 this year as soon as they were on sale. I talked to and see people are various forms that have iPads and are getting the HP Slate because of the digital pen.

Why do iPad people not see the value in having a FULL FUNCTION computer in the size on an iPad? Why does everything on a touchscreen have to be a UI heavy functionally neatured app? I LOVE running Office of my W100 and will on my Slate. And why do they feel that pens are failures? Is the Mona Lisa a finger painting?

The bottom line is that slates come in losts of different forms, sizes and price points TODAY and that's only going to change over time, just like laptops and desktops.

I don't give any merit to this because it is easy to become number one tablet when there is no real competition. I mean, the Samsung Galaxy Tab just released, and by this holiday there will be such a large selection of tablets available that people won't know what to get.

However, for Apple I think this will be a unique position for them to be in because other than their ipods (or even their ipods depending how you look at it) have always been slightly out of reach for most consumers because their laptops are more expensive than similar speced laptops, the ipod nano is waaay over priced given it's capacity, but the iPad is within the price range of similar Android and Windows tablets coming out. So I think Apple for once is in a unique situation with the iPad and many people may just go with the iPad for the brand itself... who knows.

Saying the iPad holds 95% of the tablet market isn't saying much when there is no similar competition to speak of. It's like if Ford were the only ones making trucks, they could say that they are 90+% of the truck market, but there are other companies who will have competition soon.

Tablets in the iPad's form factor are too new and this holiday season will be the season of tablets. I'm more curious where the market will be a year from now, but not at this moment because it's too soon.

And... I completely agree with the above post. Having a full function Windows slate with a stylus or pen, would be immensely more useful than the iPad. I sold my iPad after 3 months because it was no more functional than a giant ipod touch. My ideal tablet would be full Windows 7, front and rear cameras, touch and stylus/pen capable, WiFi, expandable storage, and with great battery life.

Last edited:
in a year from now, most of the major PC makers will have a tablet released. I doubt that Apple will still retain 95% of the market then. there may even be an iPad 2, who knows? I don't think tablets are just a fad, since they suit the casual user well (well, this is the reason why netbooks are popular, and i reckon tablets may eat into netbook market share).

If a person is a gamer, or a programmer/designer, then a desktop may suit their needs. but for persons who surf the Web, send e-mails, use Facebook/Twitter, etc., then tablets are right up their alley.

Not an Apple fan, not a hater though but I did by the HP Slate and the W100 this year as soon as they were on sale. I talked to and see people are various forms that have iPads and are getting the HP Slate because of the digital pen.

Why do iPad people not see the value in having a FULL FUNCTION computer in the size on an iPad? Why does everything on a touchscreen have to be a UI heavy functionally neatured app? I LOVE running Office of my W100 and will on my Slate. And why do they feel that pens are failures? Is the Mona Lisa a finger painting?

The bottom line is that slates come in losts of different forms, sizes and price points TODAY and that's only going to change over time, just like laptops and desktops.

Most people don't need a full function computer with them when they travel, or when they go out, the iPad is perfect for 99% of everyone out there, the "limited" function Is pretty exaggerated when it does just about everything you could ever need in such a small device.

Everything I need when I travel is all within the iPad, I can transfer my photos to my iPad, crop/edit my photos, upload them. Work on presentations, documents on the go, browse the web, have all my media at hand. Read my books, check out my magazines, download schoolwork off the web, play a few games, draw a few sketches, and still have battery for the next day. That's enough for 99% of the world, and apple knows that. The iPad is marketed for consumers, not business savvy people, but even then, plenty of businesses have absorbed the iPad into their workflow and it's now indispensable.

Everything I need when I travel is all within the iPad, I can transfer my photos to my iPad, crop/edit my photos, upload them. Work on presentations, documents on the go, browse the web, have all my media at hand. Read my books, check out my magazines, download schoolwork off the web, play a few games, draw a few sketches, and still have battery for the next day. That's enough for 99% of the world, and apple knows that. The iPad is marketed for consumers, not business savvy people, but even then, plenty of businesses have absorbed the iPad into their workflow and it's now indispensable.

I can do all these things some as well, some not as well, and some even better than the iPad with my W100 and HP Slate. And I have spare batteries for my W100! Of course that's a very pricey piece of hardware but its even more portable than an iPad.

All I'm saying is that yes the iPad has a beautiful UI but it seems that iPad folks feel the need to somehow claim that anything else is just junk on a slate and that's just not the case.

This is what I mean: http://www.macworld.com/article/155158/2010/10/ipad_hpslate.html?lsrc=mod_rel

MPG devices are far more intuitive because they use the finger to control what’s on screen without any intermediary devices such as a mouse or pen. And on-screen movement mimics the movement of objects in the real world, a fact that subconsciously delights the mind.

But what if I just want to write on it? It is call an iPad after all. Guess that pen get's in the way when you want to write something down.

And Windows PCs need to be maintained with defragging, registry maintenance and other chores or else they increasingly get slower and less stable over time.

This is bullshit. You almost never have to fucking touch a Windows 7 computer like what he's saying and he would know that but then again he's never even touched a HP Slate. Sure Windows has it's issues, but people screw around and jailbreak iPads and that can be a LOT worse than touching the Windows registry. And when was the last time an SSD needed to be defragged?

There's just a TON of lies out there from the pro iPad folks who don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Tablets are a new market? Apple invented the tablet? Okay, I will take your word on that one.

Everybody I know who had an iPad hasn't been terribly happy with it... they carried it around for a few days, and now I rarely see them anymore.

A ton of hype on a product that entered a nearly non-existent consumer entertainment market (tablets have generally not been geared towards entertainment) and of course it's going to get 95% market rate...

Oh well. I'm glad somebody opened the market up - now there's a demand for some proper non-closed OS tablets. :)

I don't think it is any surprise that Apple has most of the market. They figured out how to do it right and revived a previously dead segment. So they essentially have everyone else playing catch up now.

It looks good going forward with polling showing high interest in Tablet purchases and high satisfaction with the iPad.

http://www.investorplace.com/21922/tablet-demand-hurting-netbook-market/
ipad_satisfaction.gif

Why do iPad people not see the value in having a FULL FUNCTION computer in the size on an iPad? Why does everything on a touchscreen have to be a UI heavy functionally neatured app?
Not every iPad app is "functionally neutered". Take StepPolyArp, for instance. It's not "neutered", but it's highly optimized: It serves one basic function and is designed to do that one function well with only touch interaction. The single hardware spec and single display size results in apps that can be designed with thoughtfulness, something obviously very important with touch.

I don't do any real interface design work, but as a user, I do understand what works and what doesn't, and simplicity is important. I can't imagine going back to Dreamweaver after having gotten used to Espresso, for example. Espresso is more limited and offers fewer functions than Dreamweaver, and its interface is very simplistic and very basic, but Christ is it just so much more enjoyable to work with. It's unburdened by the complexities of more capable applications and infinitely more pleasant to work with as a result. The functions it offers are well-designed and well-integrated: It isn't just about having a massive list of features that are overcomplex and difficult to use. It makes me want to work when I'm using it.

The iPad is like that. Turn it on and you have a screen with your apps. You tap and you're rolling. They're all full screen, they're all optimized for 1024x768 and they're all designed, fundamentally, for mulit-touch interaction. They're simple because the interaction paradigm demands simplicity for optimal interaction.

I can see the value in a slate/tablet with a desktop OS, but that just isn't what I want. As a consumer, that doesn't appeal to me as much as something that's purpose-built, highly-specific and highly-distilled.

Is the Mona Lisa a finger painting?
Some of the most valuable, most prized pieces of art are some of the most simplistic.

What you describe as the iPad experience in many ways just isn't that different from a Tablet PC. Turn on my W100 and in about 40 seconds from a cold boot I get this:

Screen%20Shot-01.jpg

At most two thumb taps away from most of what I do with my W100. Open it open from sleep, I never turn off my primary machines, and usually within 10 seconds my WiFi or WiMax automatically reconnect and away I go.

I'm a HUGE fan of choice and I'm glad that you love your iPad and I can appreciate that, it works for you, and I'd never expect you to like a "complex" device and while I can see your point Tablet PCs are simplicity itself, they are PCs are don't work any different and since I've been using them for 8 years, yeah, no big deal.

As yes there is beauty in simplicity. You have you'r simplicity and because my software platform is the same across my desktops, laptops and slates I have my style of simplicity as well.:)

This is kinda sad actually. There are so many better products out there, yet they will probably disappear as the companies wont see it worthwhile to invest in them. I don't get why apple products become so popular. The ipad is not the first or only of it's kind like they seem to try to make people think.

I did mock it when it came out, but somehow, I still knew it would succeed the way it did. Anything Apple makes will become super popular no matter what, it seems. I have to give them kudos for it though, guess they just really know what they're doing when it comes to marketing.

I also used an Ipad a bit and it is pretty cool, though I probably would not buy one. If I was in the market for something like that, I'd look at a PC based tablet that will run Linux or Windows. Then I can use all my every day apps. Of course I'd have to want it for a particular app that makes sense on a tablet, maybe a HTPC remote software or something.

Back