Apple Hopes to Re-enter the Living Room

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple may not be through with its world dominance just quite yet….there is still the TV market to capture. The once touted Apple TV was shelved, but looks like it may be in the spotlight again sooner than most think.

According to several people familiar with Apple’s television-related efforts, the company is working on an update to its television software, and will offer a completely redesigned interface for it. These people refused to be identified because they are not authorized to speak publicly about Apple’s upcoming products. And company officials declined to comment about any plans for the Apple TV or for other television-related products.

In order for it to be viable it has to be able to stream from PC's. Play divX, Xvid, MKV, Ogg, ect... And not be super expensive.

While I generally hate Apple and all of their proprietary crap, they stand a good chance of actually making a decent UI, etc for the TV. We shall see.

The UI won't be the problem. The problem will be the price and extremely limited capabilities, like all their crap products.

^This entirely sums up why it won't sell to anyone but the devout iFans.

Who cares about Apple in the living room, that's nothing compared to the fact that Steve Jobs changed his clothes!

Wow, Jobs is actually in a collared shirt. I thought he only owned sweat shirts and jeans.

Wow, Jobs is actually in a collared shirt. I thought he only owned sweat shirts and jeans.

No no,, he's got a closet full of black Mock turtle necks.

As far as the new Apple TV. IT'd better be pretty effing impressive to make me give up my Popcorn Hour A-200.

Ok, I can see why he wants to enter this market much like Bill Gates wanted to enter the console market ... BUT Steve Jobs doesn't have the type of money to waste to break into the market. The product will fail again.

It was previously revealed that there is a new AppleTV in the works, rumored to be iPhone 4 guts and capable of streaming data from your Time Machine (Apple's WiFi NAS/backup system) and iTunes to your TV. Price point was suggested to be $99.

Will this come with a feature of facial recognition, that when you look at it the wrong way it drops the HDMI signal to the TV???

^This entirely sums up why it won't sell to anyone but the devout iFans.

lol and in another thread you accused me of being a fanboy. The product hasn't been announced spec-wise yet and you're already hating on it.

On topic:

from article said:
If Apple does use the iOS software, it would allow people to download applications like the Netflix app, which allows streaming movies and TV shows; ABC’s TV player; or Hulu’s latest video streaming application.

It'll be interesting to see how Hulu gets implemented into AppleTV considering their refusal to abandon Flash and Apple's refusal to run Flash, which means one of three scenarios might happen:

1. AppleTV supports Flash
2. Hulu supports HTML5
3. Hulu will be transcoded into AppleTV

It'll be interesting to see how Hulu gets implemented into AppleTV considering their refusal to abandon Flash and Apple's refusal to run Flash, which means one of three scenarios might happen:

2. Hulu supports HTML5

You must have missed the Hulu Plus announcement - Hulu now has an iOS app.

You must have missed the Hulu Plus announcement - Hulu now has an iOS app.

I saw it tonight a couple hours ago when browsing Cnet looking for info on the HTC Aria. I was going by what Hulu said about 3-4 weeks ago when they said they weren't going to jump into the HTML5 bandwagon because Flash had what they needed. I think Steve posted it on here.

Apple will never be "entering my living room."

Apple products are officially banned from entering my home.

Will I be able to watch this from the left side of my living room?

And if I try to watch it from the left side of my living room, and the picture breaks up, and I contact support, will I be told "I'm watching it wrong?"

Likewise.
The iPhone was their last lifeline into my house. They ruined that last effort with their blatant lying this past week (Anyone see that they lied to the press about the Jobs' emails????)

Likewise.
The iPhone was their last lifeline into my house. They ruined that last effort with their blatant lying this past week (Anyone see that they lied to the press about the Jobs' emails????)

This.

What with all the shite we've had pushed at us there's absolutely no way I'm going to involve myself with such an organisation - I find their arrogance utterly offensive. I'll buy something else.

Anyone see that [Apple] lied to the press about the Jobs' emails????
I think you should spend some time researching the technical aspects of e-mail headers and how easily they can be faked or doctored. As someone at Gizmodo commented:
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE [to fake e-mail headers]! You would have to have some sort of keyboard device and a text editor of some sorts which is impossible to come by. And the likelyhood of having BOTH is next to none!

lol and in another thread you accused me of being a fanboy. The product hasn't been announced spec-wise yet and you're already hating on it.

On topic:

2. Hulu supports HTML5

Are you being foolish enough to not already realize it will be hundreds more than other non apple products that do the same fucking thing? I am not hating it I simply stated that people like me won't buy that overpriced feature locked tech that this will no doubt be.

While I didn't actually buy one, I did come pretty close to getting an AppleTV. I thought it was pretty nice if you already had an iTunes server setup. I was more put off by the outdated video out more then anything. But I thought the price was fair...it was $150 when I was looking at them.

Are you being foolish enough to not already realize it will be hundreds more than other non apple products that do the same fucking thing? I am not hating it I simply stated that people like me won't buy that overpriced feature locked tech that this will no doubt be.

ok, so by your logic, why aren't you hating on Popcorn Hour? Why aren't you hating on Xbox360 as a media exender? Why aren't you hating on.. hold on, let me find that list of media center devices..

More than half the media center boxes out there are locked in, various devices have the lack of ability to play certain files or formats.

Your comment about "no doubt" being locked in and pricy is another example of you judging before the product is released. But keep on defending your attitude against Apple if it makes you feel better. :rolleyes:

The only reason I even considered was the Apple TV was because of its integration into iTunes. The hardware can be worked with, having centralized media system is the more important part. I'm not saying iTunes is end all be all, but I already have it all setup in my house so anything that integrates with it is plus for me.

I would love to dump the Windows-based general purpose PC in my living room and replace it with an embedded device like the AppleTV that is quiet, has low power consumption, and a slick interface.

Unfortunately the AppleTV is missing a crucial feature: TV. That is the ability to DVR real live television; purchasing delayed low-quality content from iTunes at $1/episode doesn't count. It's a huge minus and the reason I haven't bought one yet.

In order for it to be viable it has to be able to stream from PC's. Play divX, Xvid, MKV, Ogg, ect... And not be super expensive.

Let's be realistic, all those formats you listed are all used exclusively by one group of users: pirates. Apple (or any other company for that matter) is not going to release a product that cannibalizes their other product sales.

I would love to dump the Windows-based general purpose PC in my living room and replace it with an embedded device like the AppleTV that is quiet, has low power consumption, and a slick interface.

Unfortunately the AppleTV is missing a crucial feature: TV. That is the ability to DVR real live television; purchasing delayed low-quality content from iTunes at $1/episode doesn't count. It's a huge minus and the reason I haven't bought one yet.

Let's be realistic, all those formats you listed are all used exclusively by one group of users: pirates. Apple (or any other company for that matter) is not going to release a product that cannibalizes their other product sales.

Yeah I wouldn't mind if AppleTV came with a CableCARD slot like TiVOs do. That would really cinch the deal. Everything else can be worked into. Even if it used iOS4, when jailbroken it can play just about every format you want it to. There's even a VLC player for jailbroken iPhones.

Yeah I wouldn't mind if AppleTV came with a CableCARD slot like TiVOs do. That would really cinch the deal. Everything else can be worked into. Even if it used iOS4, when jailbroken it can play just about every format you want it to. There's even a VLC player for jailbroken iPhones.

I thought I read maybe last year that (maybe) the Cable companies were trying to discontinue Cablecards...could be completely wrong though. Haven't seen many products, like TV's, with it recently.

I thought I read maybe last year that (maybe) the Cable companies were trying to discontinue Cablecards...could be completely wrong though. Haven't seen many products, like TV's, with it recently.

That's what our local cable technician told me too. I asked because I was leaning towards buying a Ceton unit when it launches later this summer and the technician said no, the local cable company will not hand out CableCARDs. I thought he was full of it because I've been reading in a lot of AV sites that cable companies tend to do this, and you have to find the right person within the company or be persuasive enough to get your hand on one.

I called the Comcast HQ and told them about our local Comcast technician denying me CableCARD and they said that my town DOES provide it and he will make sure I get them when I request one.

So we'll see. I'm still waiting for Ceton to launch their 6-tuner CableCARD card.

I find it strange that suddenly cable companies are phasing out CableCARDs right after CableLabs mandated that CableCARDs would be Windows 7-friendly last November.

ok, so by your logic, why aren't you hating on Popcorn Hour? Why aren't you hating on Xbox360 as a media exender? Why aren't you hating on.. hold on, let me find that list of media center devices..

More than half the media center boxes out there are locked in, various devices have the lack of ability to play certain files or formats.

Your comment about "no doubt" being locked in and pricy is another example of you judging before the product is released. But keep on defending your attitude against Apple if it makes you feel better. :rolleyes:

Oh please spare me. I have a Zotac ion/atom itx mounted on the back of my 50". About $300 in gear, and fully working windows 7 install that can do pretty much anything I ever want to do.

That set up is better than anything Apple will ever release on the limitations of 3rd party apps and blu ray alone. / discussion.

That's what our local cable technician told me too. I asked because I was leaning towards buying a Ceton unit when it launches later this summer and the technician said no, the local cable company will not hand out CableCARDs. I thought he was full of it because I've been reading in a lot of AV sites that cable companies tend to do this, and you have to find the right person within the company or be persuasive enough to get your hand on one.

I called the Comcast HQ and told them about our local Comcast technician denying me CableCARD and they said that my town DOES provide it and he will make sure I get them when I request one.

So we'll see. I'm still waiting for Ceton to launch their 6-tuner CableCARD card.

I find it strange that suddenly cable companies are phasing out CableCARDs right after CableLabs mandated that CableCARDs would be Windows 7-friendly last November.

I'm waiting for the 4 tuner version. All I have to do is call Time Warner ti set it up when I get the equipment, doesn't seem like a big deal.

Apple on the big screen, naw, no games, etc. Lame platform for a big screen.

I think you should spend some time researching the technical aspects of e-mail headers and how easily they can be faked or doctored. As someone at Gizmodo commented:
Could've been faked. However, a few things.
A) BGR is a legit blog. I highly doubt they'd publish something they KNEW was faked.
B) Apple is always silent on Jobs' rumor emails. They never comment on them. The fact they come out and decide suddenly to comment on THESE emails? I wonder why?
C) The fact BGR was so adamant about it... I don't see a place with as great of reputation as they've got sticking their neck on the line for something they even remotely might think could've been faked.

B is the big one there. The simple fact Apple felt they had to make a statement about it speaks volumes...

The difference there is that they actually do other stuff.
The 360 has fantastic gaming ability. The extender is a second-choice option for it, it's not the primary purpose.

So if I'm Average Joe. I see Apple's $500 POS on the shelves that just extends media... And a $100 360 setting next to it that gives me awesome gaming capabilities as well as everything else.... Which do I pick?

Could've been faked. However, a few things.
A) BGR is a legit blog. I highly doubt they'd publish something they KNEW was faked.
B) Apple is always silent on Jobs' rumor emails. They never comment on them. The fact they come out and decide suddenly to comment on THESE emails? I wonder why?
C) The fact BGR was so adamant about it... I don't see a place with as great of reputation as they've got sticking their neck on the line for something they even remotely might think could've been faked.

B is the big one there. The simple fact Apple felt they had to make a statement about it speaks volumes...

The difference there is that they actually do other stuff.
The 360 has fantastic gaming ability. The extender is a second-choice option for it, it's not the primary purpose.

So if I'm Average Joe. I see Apple's $500 POS on the shelves that just extends media... And a $100 360 setting next to it that gives me awesome gaming capabilities as well as everything else.... Which do I pick?

You're making the same mistake baconator is making. You don't know what it can do and you don't know how much it'll cost, but hey, let's just go with $500 and the fact that it can't do anything :rolleyes:

Your own personal doubts don't serve as any kind of evidence of Apple's "lying".

One potential answer is that this is the first time this has happened — the first time someone has faked an exchange with Jobs and the first time Apple denied the exchange took place, that is. Additionally, I believe Apple was reached for comment specifically about the e-mails. Their denial that Jobs sent the e-mails wasn't a press release.

Because it can't be proven either way. Such is the nature of e-mail correspondance. BGR gets a fairly juicy story; nobody can prove beyond any doubt that the story is an outright fabrication; everybody goes home happy.

I'm not saying they aren't legit — they certainly could be — but the fact that it's so trivial to doctor them should cast enough doubt for anyone to be able to say "I'm not sure". Naturally, you show your bias by boldly claiming that Apple was lying even though you're admittedly well aware that the story could be an outright fabrication.

Link to new Apple TV pricing details and specifications page detailing its features?

Nonsense. Matroska is a very feature-rich container format and functionally beyond the MPEG4 Part 14 container format. You can't pack DTS audio streams in an MP4, for instance, in a standards-compliant fashion (read: it won't ever work). That's a functionality a number of users are going to look for when it comes to ripping Blu-rays, HD-DVDs and DVDs. MP4's handling of multiple video, audio and subtitle streams also leaves a lot to be desired.

As for Ogg Vorbis, I've downloaded a number of netlabel Ogg Vorbis netreleases. Totally, 100% legal content released freely in Ogg Vorbis.

As for Xvid — that isn't even a format. Xvid is compliant MPEG4 ASP encoder. The current Apple TV model can play back Xvid-encoded video just fine.

You're making the same mistake baconator is making. You don't know what it can do and you don't know how much it'll cost, but hey, let's just go with $500 and the fact that it can't do anything :rolleyes:

Well lets look at Apple's latest gadget portfolio; iPhone, iPad and both do have $500 selling points. Would it be impossible to predict this would sell for $500? thats baseline too, I can fathom that.

Now lets see what Apple would want the product to do? TV tuner, NetFlix/Hulu portal, iTunes Portal ... anything else?

I can't see anything else this product would do, if its being touted as a media extender/portal device for your TV then its already beat in two very elegent solutions alot of people already have: Xbox360 and Playstation 3. They also have media readers on them (dvd/blu-ray), will the AppleTV have it? Apple COULD one up them with a SDC reader.

the only appletv in my house will be one with a 10pound hammer in it..

the only apple notebook will be one with a 10 pound hammer in it..

the only apple phone will be one with a 4 pound hammer in it..

why?

they lock too much shit down and make it near useless and a huge price tag.. no thanks

the 360 now plays xvid natively... and the extender i got mkvs to play just fine over the extender.. :) and also natively.. :)

to note family and friends know not to bring any apple products into my house i will destroy them.. its that simple, even my doormat says that too.. bring it i will destroy it.. too bad if it cost you money.. bring it and conceal it, dont ever show me..

and to note, my samsung 50inc can play h264, divx, xvid natively.. it has a network port on the back.. will accept wife usb dongles.. usb drives and play them back.. it also has optical audio out too.. so get 5.1 nicely thank you.. and it has an sd card slot.. my samsung bd 5.1 system has 2 optical ins and can also do the prev mentioned.

so what would be the point of this apple device??

more and more tvs can do the above natively.

Nonsense. Matroska is a very feature-rich container format and functionally beyond the MPEG4 Part 14 container format. You can't pack DTS audio streams in an MP4, for instance, in a standards-compliant fashion (read: it won't ever work). That's a functionality a number of users are going to look for when it comes to ripping Blu-rays, HD-DVDs and DVDs. MP4's handling of multiple video, audio and subtitle streams also leaves a lot to be desired.

Cool story bro. It's still not used prevalently outside of piracy.

As for Ogg Vorbis, I've downloaded a number of netlabel Ogg Vorbis netreleases. Totally, 100% legal content released freely in Ogg Vorbis.

You're going to defend OGG on the basis freebie released-to-internet music? Yeah, not exactly a solid foundation there bub.

No one outside of pirates cares about MKV, and no one outside of open source nuts cares about OGG. They're never going to be supported on the AppleTV or any other electronics device catered to the masses, so stop trying to act like it's some kind of critical "missing feature."

Back