Apple LED Cinema Display Question

Hi, I've got a PC that runs Windows Vista Ultimate. I'm interested in purchasing a 24" lcd monitor. I was thinking of getting the Apple LED Cinema Display. Does this monitor only work with apple notebooks or does it also work with PC's?. Any info is greatly appreciated. thanks

Wow, that is ridiculously stupid on Apple's part.

Make a 24" display that only works on their newer laptops?

Yep, that's so you can connect the Macbook to a normal DVI display.

They literally force you to find a female mini-displayport to DVI adapter... which I didn't find in my quick search.

Kinda ridiculous... Why the hell would they limit themselves like that... ?

Wow, that is ridiculously stupid on Apple's part.

Make a 24" display that only works on their newer laptops?

Pretty much. As another poster mentioned in the other Apple Cinema Display thread, Apple isn't interested in being a consumer monitor manufacturer. They only care about their new MacBooks having monitors.

Frankly, I think its a good move to push DisplayPort. Keep giving people options and it will never take off. And its not like another, actual monitor manufacturer won't release a more consumer friendly model using the same panel.

Yea but half of the "Apple" appeal is the appearance (not just the quality of the panel inside of it)

I can understand pushing Display-Port but it's kinda silly to just cut-off DVI... I mean I could understand cutting off VGA, but DVI too?

If video-cards started coming with DisplayPort, and came with Display-Port to DVI adapters, and more monitors started coming with DisplayPort + DVI ports it'd make for an easier transistion, if nobody is producing anything it's sorta hard to transist... heh... Once you have both a new monitor and new computer/video-card you can make the switch to DisplayPort... Whatever you upgrade first should have both options...

apple has always been all or nothing. your old system may work fine but this is what the newer generation brings to the table. upgrading macs has always been more limited than their PC counterparts, if you want this new monitor buy a new mac book. if your old one works fine buy an older monitor

Back