Apple Limiting iPhone Sales

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
In an attempt to curtail the sale of hacked or unlocked iPhones, Apple is requiring a credit or debit card and limiting the amount of purchase to two per person.

The new restrictions also are aimed at ensuring enough iPhones for increased holiday sales. Analysts estimate Apple's iPhone manufacturing capability is restricted to no more than 500,000 iPhones a month.

I get a hunch that they have a problem that they are trying to fix, and this is the excuse... so they don't run out of stock immediatley.

I get a hunch that they have a problem that they are trying to fix, and this is the excuse... so they don't run out of stock immediatley.

I have a hunch it's got something to do with the $11/month that Apple is getting for every iPhone active on AT&T's network. ;)

Is it legal to refuse US currency for a purchase in the USA? I always thought one had to accept US currency for goods sold in the States. I don't know, but there is that statement on most or all US paper money "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" if I recall right.

Is it legal to refuse US currency for a purchase in the USA? I always thought one had to accept US currency for goods sold in the States. I don't know, but there is that statement on most or all US paper money "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" if I recall right.
Yes, they can legally do that. Saw this over at craigslist legal forum earlier.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/generalinfo/faq/faqcur.htm#2

Is U.S. currency legal tender for all debts?

According to the "Legal Tender Statute" (section 5103 of title 31 of the U.S. Code), "United States coins and currency (including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues." This means that all U.S. money, as identified above, when tendered to a creditor legally satisfies a debt to the extent of the amount (face value) tendered.

However, no federal law mandates that a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services not yet provided. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills.

Some movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations as a matter of policy may refuse to accept currency of a large denomination, such as notes above $20, and as long as notice is posted and a transaction giving rise to a debt has not already been completed, these organizations have not violated the legal tender law.

^ when I worked in a supermarket back in high school they actually made us memorize a list of how many of a certain coin we were allowed to accept before denying a sale. So if a person tried to pay with more than 30 pennies we were told to refuse the sale regardless of the total bill amount. Of course it was more so a convenience for those waiting in line behind that person than for us workers having to count it all out.

Yes, they can legally do that. Saw this over at craigslist legal forum earlier.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/generalinfo/faq/faqcur.htm#2

This law irritates the hell out of me for the reason that my US currency should be allowed to be tendered anywhere regardless of posting to the contrary. For example, you walk into a Jack-in-the-Box and all you have on you is a $50 and they won't take anything larger than a $20 after certain hours. What the hell? My $50 bill is not good anymore at this location from some certain arbitrary time. I wish someone would challenge this statute.

This law irritates the hell out of me for the reason that my US currency should be allowed to be tendered anywhere regardless of posting to the contrary. For example, you walk into a Jack-in-the-Box and all you have on you is a $50 and they won't take anything larger than a $20 after certain hours. What the hell? My $50 bill is not good anymore at this location from some certain arbitrary time. I wish someone would challenge this statute.

You're proposing that you FORCE someone to sell something? Are you actually serious? They can challenge it all you want. You can't force someone to accept a contract. Every business in the country has the right to refuse a sale, theres no law that comes even remotely close to saying otherwise.

Once a contract is agreed upon then yes, they have to accept legal tender, but until that point it is nothing but negotiation. As far as the law goes they could charge double prices to people using $50 if they wanted.

Ummm...No they can't. Doing so would most certainly violate price gouging and/or extortion statues, maybe others.

Think of it from a business owner's perspective. If I were required by law to sell a pack of gum to every person who walked in with a $50 bill, I would have to keep a huge amount of cash in my till to ensure I could make change in order to comply.

What happens when I can't take even a $20 bill because I've run out of change because I've had a spate of customers that day with larger bills? Then I lose business. For most businesses, it's just not practical to take large bills for this reason.

Also, many stores have a one-way deposit slot for $20+ bills (that clerks cannot retrieve) in order to minimize loss in the event the store is robbed.

It's not just liquor stores that get robbed. Funny you should mention Jack-in-the-Box. The one near me has yardstick markings next to all the doors so employees can give a more accurate height description of any robbers dashing out.

Think of it from a business owner's perspective. If I were required by law to sell a pack of gum to every person who walked in with a $50 bill, I would have to keep a huge amount of cash in my till to ensure I could make change in order to comply.

What happens when I can't take even a $20 bill because I've run out of change because I've had a spate of customers that day with larger bills? Then I lose business. For most businesses, it's just not practical to take large bills for this reason.

Also, many stores have a one-way deposit slot for $20+ bills (that clerks cannot retrieve) in order to minimize loss in the event the store is robbed.

It's not just liquor stores that get robbed. Funny you should mention Jack-in-the-Box. The one near me has yardstick markings next to all the doors so employees can give a more accurate height description of any robbers dashing out.

lol They have those measurement stickers they put on the sides of the door in just about every store these days where I live. Its done as a precaution even in stores that have never been robbed. Gas stations, convenience stores, fast food, you name it. They are actually quite common.

Ummm...No they can't. Doing so would most certainly violate price gouging and/or extortion statues, maybe others.

100% flat out wrong. Price gouging? Are you kidding? Are you telling me that McDonalds couldn't charge $10 for a burger? Damn right they could.

Extortion? Do you even know the meaning of the word? Seriously, grab a dictionary and look it up, then explain how you could POSSIBLY, apply extortion to this.

Back