Apple 'Pinch-to-Zoom' Patent Invalidated

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple isn't having much luck with its patents lately. :eek:

The agency declared invalid the entirety of Apple's patent on Wednesday, according to a document issued by the patent office that was filed by Samsung in federal court in San Jose, Calif. The document lists portions of the patent that were struck down on reexamination, on the basis that prior patents covered the same inventions.

So about that Wizard of the Coast patent.... it should be invalidated as well...

Good to see the patent office is doing something about the absurd abuse of its system by tech companies. Keep it going.

The world really must be coming to an end...someone at the Patent Office devloped a brain (sorry, couldn't resist).

The what, now?

Wizards of the Coast has a patent for flipping a card on the table to change it's status in play.

The world really must be coming to an end...someone at the Patent Office devloped a brain (sorry, couldn't resist).

Nope. This was the ITC that invalidated it, long after the patent office validated it. Still no brains in the USPO.

Disregard my last quote. It wasn't the ITC. Multiple browser windows.

"on the basis that prior patents covered the same inventions."
Apparently, not because it's an absurd patent overall. Not at all something to praise the Patent Office over.

do the companies get the money back they paid for these invalid patents. it seems as soon as there is some pressure..the patent office says oops..no way should we have given the patent. seems off they could not have arrived at the same conclusion at the get go.

do the companies get the money back they paid for these invalid patents. it seems as soon as there is some pressure..the patent office says oops..no way should we have given the patent. seems off they could not have arrived at the same conclusion at the get go.

The same machine that rubber-stamped all of the wrong foreclosure notices sent to people? Same machine got repurposed by the USPTO.

Apple's patent was invalidated because other patents on the same thing ALREADY EXIST. So, this is NOT a case where the idea behind the patent was rejected or nullified.

Wizards of the Coast has a patent for flipping a card on the table to change it's status in play.

Yep, I think it was a turning of a card 90 degrees though... when you "tap" it.

Ugh, thinking about such stupidity... still annoys me.

I wish I had bought Aplle Stock back in the mid 90s when it wasabout 5 ashare, if I had Id have dumped it by now before it crashes again . Apple without Jobs is going to crash hard.

yes you tap your mana cards to cast a new card to invoke its effects . I usedto love that game.

Yep, I think it was a turning of a card 90 degrees though... when you "tap" it.

Ugh, thinking about such stupidity... still annoys me.

There's plenty of other CCGs that use those functions. Maybe it was either invalidated or Wizards of the Coast doesn't actively pursue any infractions on that patent.

Or, more likely, all those CCGs are owned by Wizards of the Coast....

Zarathustra[H];1039441812 said:
Is anyone able to read that article?

I just get the headline when I click through.
Pinch to zoom. :D

or

"You must be using an Apple device." :D

In all seriousness I can't read the article either. :p

pinch to zoom has a patent? jeeze, does mouse clicking?

It's one of if not the most important patent they are trying to injunction Samsung with, this screws up pretty much the entire nuclear war plan, And this only happened because Samsung asked the patent office (paid them) to see if there was prior art to this.

Back