Apple Seeks Patent on Operating System Advertising

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gene Quinn, patent attorney and founder of IPWatchdog, says Apple has file for a patent on “Advertisement in Operating System.” Sounds harmless at first but wait until you guys get a load of the wording on this one:

The operating system is configured to present one or more of the advertisements to users of the computer device. In some implementations, the operating system can disable one or more functions during the presentation of the advertisements and then enable the function(s) in response to the advertisements ending. That is, the operating system can disable some aspect of its operation to prompt the operator to pay attention to the advertisement.

WTF...No, just No. The day my OS starts forcing me to watch pop up ads is the day some building(s) get torched.

I am going to love to see the spin on this one:

Not only are you paying a premium for your hardware/OS but now you are going to be forced to watch advertisements.

*goes to get popcorn ready*

While were at it, lets patent a car that won't allow you to start or accelerate until you finish watching a 20 second ad which is displayed from your windshield. In addition, you won't be able to use your brakes until a 3 second ad is finished displaying.

Article said:
Potentially even worse than not being able to turn off the advertisement is a Big Brother operating system version that will keep track of whether you turn off the advertisement and then somehow penalize you for not watching long enough.

The moment my OS does that, I am finding the nearest rocket and flying into the sun.

This is why computer users should respect, promote, and donate to open source projects. This is why developers should continue to maintain and produce open source software.

My 2 cents.

Finally, the secret ingredient to linux succeeding on the desktop. Now if only they can convince MS to steal this feature, OSS can finally win!!!

I'm a glass is half full kind of guy today.

This is why computer users should respect, promote, and donate to open source projects. This is why developers should continue to maintain and produce open source software.

My 2 cents.

Wouldn't open source developers be more likely to use ads to stream revenues because they don't get any money from software sales?

While were at it, lets patent a car that won't allow you to start or accelerate until you finish watching a 20 second ad which is displayed from your windshield. In addition, you won't be able to use your brakes until a 3 second ad is finished displaying.

If I could get a $30,000 dollar car for $10,000, I would be willing to watch a twenty second ad every time I started my car.

Advertising isn't always a bad thing...

"I'm a Mac. . . sponsored by Coca-Cola, McDonald's, and Bank of America"

"and I'm a PC"

"What? That's it? You're just a PC? I have sponsorship."

"Oh, I don't have that." PC frowns. "Wait a minute, that's a good thing!" PC Smiles Mac looks confused.

What if this is only implemented into free or trial OS versions? Is it really bad then?

Wonder what they have planned for this?

We can only hope that this is one of those "We will patent it so no one can EVER use it" type of patents...

I doubt they are going to put this into their retail operating systems. They would only be screwing themselves over if they did that.

Let's hope they never use this.

One of the many advantages of Macs is that unlike Dells, HPs, Gateways, etc, they are not preloaded with sponsored adware or crapware to visually get in the way or bog down the system. When you get one you have a clean, uncluttered system that is ready to work.

Apple are going to catch a tremendous amount of shit from OS X users if they ever go this way. Its bad enough that Microsoft wants to have an ad supported version of Office, but an ad supported operating system? Puke.

Not only are you paying a premium for your hardware/OS but now you are going to be forced to watch advertisements.
Assuming Apple doesn't discount those machines if this gets implemented (which I'm guessing it probably won't -- Apple has tons of patents for concepts that are years old which have never seen the light of day). If Apple offers something like "We'll sell you this Mac mini for $199 if you agree to some in-OS ads", then they might do well with something like that.

I'd never buy into it, but there's probably a 0.4% chance of this happening to OS X as a whole. I'm not worried.

If I could get a $30,000 dollar car for $10,000, I would be willing to watch a twenty second ad every time I started my car.
Ditto. I'd be too annoyed to let it hamper my computing experience just to save a few hundred bucks, though.

We can only hope that this is one of those "We will patent it so no one can EVER use it" type of patents...

I suspect that you're right. If anyone is ever stupid enough to try this then Apple can sue, only real advantage to patenting this.

Now nobody is going to want to use Mac O/S. Most people hated it before, now they are digging their grave even deeper! Perhaps if they killed some of their retarded 'slam' TV commercials they could save that money to not force ads on their users. Furthermore, I'd love to be in the middle of editing someones wedding video only to have to take a break to watch some garbage ad. Not that I'll ever use a Mac in my entire life; this pisses me off even more than limited installations on video games. What kind of company would do such a thing? I'll leave it at that. Now I need a beer.

Dude, your analogy is upside-down. With Apple, you get a $10000 car for $30000.

If Apple offers something like "We'll sell you this Mac mini for $199 if you agree to some in-OS ads", then they might do well with something like that.

The only issue with that would be the loss of money. Yes they could, in theory, sell it cheaper with the ads, but what is stopping someone from just formatting and starting over.

But I will agree that it is very unlikely that it will ever happen, only time will tell.

Now nobody is going to want to use Mac O/S.
They haven't implemented it yet, and odds are they never will. No need to panic just yet.

The only issue with that would be the loss of money. Yes they could, in theory, sell it cheaper with the ads, but what is stopping someone from just formatting and starting over.
They'd probably have to chip the machines in some way so that only the ad-supported versions of the OS could be installed. The trick would be making it reasonably hack-proof, which is probably next to impossible.

My guess is the would use something like this on something other than a desktop/laptop. Maybe on the Apple TV?

Maybe this is for internet cafes and kiosks?

"Free computer usage down at the coffee shop! hooray! but they occasionally force you to watch adverts!"

And then with the advertising youd get a 10000 dollar car for 10000 dollars.

Hah, that's if they lower prices because of this. They won't.

But if it was 30k car for 10k, I'd take it. Then try to circumvent by removing it if possible.

They haven't implemented it yet, and odds are they never will. No need to panic just yet.

Indeed, but just the idea of it all; I can't help but scoff in anger. Like I said I'm not a Mac user but the fact that these ideas exist is enough.

or they are going to use it in their Iphone... anyways they can have it... never been intrested in the "Apple experience" ...

whats funny is microsoft is going to be preinstalling office 2010 on computers here before too long and there is a limited functionality somehow to office so you can have office 2010 for free but you have to have advertising for it.

See microsoft already has this idea in mind, and apple is just trying to patent it so microsoft has to pay them to use the idea they want to do.

Indeed, but just the idea of it all; I can't help but scoff in anger. Like I said I'm not a Mac user but the fact that these ideas exist is enough.

This sort of talk is actually pretty common. Microsoft will actually be rolling out an ad supported version of Office 2010. Its not as crap as an ad supported operating system but its crap nonetheless.

Like I said before, one of the many good things about Macs is that they don't come preloaded with sponsored adware and crapware like other PC manufacturers do, they're just clean and ready to use. Putting ads in OS X pisses all over a really good thing they have right now, stupid.

Ugh, really? more crap with Ads in them that you can't get rid of? The world is going to shit, I tell you. Patent suing everywhere, ads obstructing usage every turn...I really might go all open source by next year.

Maybe they'll release a low cost or free PC version of OS-X that includes the Apple ads?

Wouldn't open source developers be more likely to use ads to stream revenues because they don't get any money from software sales?

Yes, but since it's open source it would be easy for someone to release an identical product, minus the ads.

I could see Apple doing this and the fan boys loving it. Would probably claim that Apple is helping them find products they would never have seen before.

while your'e trying to rush to the hospital bleeding to death you must first watch this commercial about the car.

Advertising isn't always a bad thing...

Back