Apple TV

Sean

[H] for Life
I have the opportunity to get the new Apple TV for nothing. However I don't have a HD TV and I get hefty discounts with my cable company for ondemand programing. Other than streaming YouTube, Flickr etc and video and music can anyone tell me if this is even worth getting. It's not free as in someone gives it to me, but an incentive reward.

Just so we're on the same page, you basically said "other than every major feature of this device, can anyone tell me if this is even worth getting?"

I have the opportunity to get the new Apple TV for nothing. However I don't have a HD TV

You're SOL since the Apple TV doesn't have analog/component outs. HDMI only. The mavens at HDNation weren't impressed with the new Apple TV. IMO, the Roku HD beats it in so many areas. (and it still has analog/component out)

But if you're married to iTMS- you have to have this for rentals on the big screen.

That answers that. Thanks!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The previous AppleTV + Broadcom crystal HD in the mini pci-e slot + xbmc makes a far more useful system than the new AppleTV imo.

I think airplay makes the appletv really interesting, just stream anything you're playing on the ipad or iphone wirelessly to the tv at the press of the button

I read somewhere there are a few cheaper/diy/easier alternatives to the AppleTV.... the best was the PS3, it can do everything streaming, youtube, internet, and still plays games nice. Another cheaper $99-199 box is mentioned above (Roku) which has a few more items then the appleTV box.

Check out this though, has a simple comparison chart with features

http://newteevee.com/2010/09/01/comparison-apple-tv-vs-roku-vs-boxee-box/

I read somewhere there are a few cheaper/diy/easier alternatives to the AppleTV.... the best was the PS3, it can do everything streaming, youtube, internet, and still plays games nice. Another cheaper $99-199 box is mentioned above (Roku) which has a few more items then the appleTV box.

Check out this though, has a simple comparison chart with features

http://newteevee.com/2010/09/01/comparison-apple-tv-vs-roku-vs-boxee-box/

The PS3 has pretty limited format support. I have everything in h264/ac3 in mkv with soft subs on some of it which never plays nice with the PS3 or PS3 media server and the interface leaves much to be desired vs plex and xbmc with a good theme such as Alaska. A $200~ ion nettop + xbmc is probably hard to beat unless you want iTunes integration.

Back