Apple wireless and Linksys router

ProphetSix

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, gettign a Mac Mini here soon, and gonna spring for hte built-in wireless. I have a Linksys 802.11g router at home (the WRT54G model). I've read that Apple branded wireless cards and non-Apple wireless acces points have had issues in the past. I already have a WAP and don't wanna spring for an Airport Express base station.

Am I going to run into issues here? I have a 128-bit WEP encryption key on the home router. I've run into issues before with a G4 iMac and a Linksys router, but that was a couple years ago. Have things improved? Am i good to go?

Thanks.

I have a very similar setup, but I have not had any problems. You should be fine.

Running powerbook with airport. And same router with 128bit wep, the only thing i've noticed is you need to enter in one of the 4 keys, not just the passphrase (like you can do in windows)

I'm running an iBook with my Linksys wireless. The only problem I have is when I'm trying to transmit in anything other than B it won't pickup my router. Kind of a bummer because of the range reduction but it works.

i have the linksys WRT54G v3 router and a iBook G4 w/ airport and it works fine. I use WPA encryption and I have had no issues yet. As soon as I pulled my laptop outta the box and booted up, while in setup it found my network and asked for the WPA key.

Cool, thanks for the reply guys. I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens.

( /me goes back to hitting "refresh" on the UPS tracking page...)

If you have any issues, you might try putting a $ before the key. I've had some issues with certain Linksys firmwares and airport cards that were resolved by doing that.

-chris

another works great, I have WEP on, mac address filtering, ip filtering and my ssid isn't broadcast. Like everyone said, make sure you type the actual pass key and not the pass phrase

Back