Apple Working on New Television?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
What’s Apple up to now? Rumors of a new TV abound, but why would Apple want to enter the already saturated television market? The only plausible reason would be Apple’s entry into the market would bring something new and innovative, making it almost impossible not to buy it. Those guys at Apple ain’t crazy, y’know. :D
Eagle-eyed bloggers at 9to5 Mac noticed a job listing today that Apple posted that leaves little doubt it's something the company is at least exploring.

my only qualm with apple "producing" a tv, is that they have constantly released inferior displays for their machines. Not saying that they would make a tv and give it first generation LCD or Plasma technology but they are known for "innovation" not "ass-kicking" hardware.

People would buy it cuz it has a i in front of its name iTV.

Fuckin lemmings.

my only qualm with apple "producing" a tv, is that they have constantly released inferior displays for their machines. Not saying that they would make a tv and give it first generation LCD or Plasma technology but they are known for "innovation" not "ass-kicking" hardware.

I thought Apple's Cinema Displays were supposed to have a really good picture? I've never had one, so I don't know for sure.

Not a fan of either Jobs or Apple & would never buy another of their products - did buy a used '84 model Mac in '86, w/which I was duly impressed & satisfied - just because I am turned off by the entire business model. Nonetheless, I will sure miss Jobs when he is gone. Watching that boy work is like watching an F1 pole-sitter: always exciting.

I thought Apple's Cinema Displays were supposed to have a really good picture? I've never had one, so I don't know for sure.

Slow response times across the board, which is shameful even for the smaller displays (sub 24 inch). Also they boast poor Contrast ratios. And lest we forget the lawsuits Apple has faced because of it's marketing team boasting "Millions of Colors" in their displays when it's really the dithering facade for only a few hundred thousand colors.

One thing to remember, Apple tends to wait and wait and wait to give into technology trends because they hope their version will pick up. For instance, ieee1394/firewire vs usb tech. Use of the "mini" version of video connectors versus standard size. Use of the IBM PowerPC CPu versus Intel/AMD x86 architectures. Or lack of built in SD card readers on their machines as Apple really has a lack of fondness for users plugging in anything that isn't Apple branded. (Naturally, these things after not catching on, finally changed for the better). But its a big reason why iphones/touches/pods/pads lack any sort of external storage slot. That and justification of charging more money for proprietary technologies.

IIRC it depends on the screen size; and that a few years ago their smaller monitors/iMacs went to cheap TN displays. Their laptops have always been TN because the power penalty for IPS makes avoiding it anywhere possible a major feature.

so they can over charge for 7 year old technology put pretty plastic on it and great marketing and people that buy it will think they're cutting edge.

5458788917_d3b596e6e5.jpg

There was a low power 1GHZ ARM processor 7 years ago?

The difference 7 years made was battery life and success. I don't think the HP tablet was a success was it? Not to mention it required a stylus.

It's a content play. They'd only make a TV to try and control content. Unless they have suddenly entered the display R&D market, which they haven't, they buy all their displays from Samsung and Toshiba.

IPS is inferior to what?

There are a lot of display types that are much better then IPS. Plasma is a lot better then IPS minus a few quirks like image retention.OLED is by far better and with a little more research it can be stable for over long periods of time. PLS display technology is said to be comparable if not better then IPS. There are others here that have been discussed as well that are far better then IPS but off the top of my head these are all that i can remember.

apple is not going to sell a lot of TVs on the basis of a better display tech.

you have to remember that the avg person has trouble seeing the difference between DVD and HD when they do studies.

Hell, most LCDs are actually inferior to CRTs in all but vertical resolution. It didn't stop ppl from buying them, they bought them b/c of the status and utility associated with thinness.

Oh I can't wait to pay a premium for antiquated technology with incremental upgrades that compel me to buy each new iteration so that I can stay on top of yesterdays hottest trend!!!

There are a lot of display types that are much better then IPS.
The thing with display technologies is that there is (currently) no 'best' at everything. For instance, IPS has poor response time in comparison to TN, but it excels in ways TN fails. It also lacks the contrast ratios of PVA panels but tends to have better response times. Manufacturers have to weigh the pros and cons of each technology when they intend to implement it in their products, which is precisely what Apple does (they use TN for laptops because they consume less power; IPS for desktops because it's higher-quality).

Plasma is a lot better then IPS minus a few quirks like image retention.
Better in some ways; not in others. It isn't a clear win for plasma by any stretch.

OLED is by far better and with a little more research it can be stable for over long periods of time.
Yes, that's what I keep hearing. I'm not seeing it happen, though. I have a device with an OLED display I bought a year and a half ago...guess how fucked up it is today?

PLS display technology is said to be comparable if not better then IPS.
According to Samsung, yes. It might very well outclass IPS in every category, but at this point, you have to take it on Samsung's word.

There was a low power 1GHZ ARM processor 7 years ago?

The difference 7 years made was battery life and success. I don't think the HP tablet was a success was it? Not to mention it required a stylus.

Hardly enough to justify its "magical" moniker.

The thing with display technologies is that there is (currently) no 'best' at everything. For instance, IPS has poor response time in comparison to TN, but it excels in ways TN fails. It also lacks the contrast ratios of PVA panels but tends to have better response times. Manufacturers have to weigh the pros and cons of each technology when they intend to implement it in their products, which is precisely what Apple does (they use TN for laptops because they consume less power; IPS for desktops because it's higher-quality).

Better in some ways; not in others. It isn't a clear win for plasma by any stretch.

Yes, that's what I keep hearing. I'm not seeing it happen, though. I have a device with an OLED display I bought a year and a half ago...guess how fucked up it is today?

According to Samsung, yes. It might very well outclass IPS in every category, but at this point, you have to take it on Samsung's word.

Yeah, true. My android phone has an AMOLED screen on it. I've had it for about 3 months now and all I can say is WOW. Even though it's only 4 inches I can say that it is far better then anything I've seen before. Mostly the contrast ratio. Blacks are black. iirc it's because the technology doesn't require backlighting and it can litterlly just shut off pixels to create true black. I read here a few weeks ago that a manufacturer ( I think it was LG) is planning on producing large screen OLED screens this year. Hopefully the trend will spread and catch on in the consumer world.

Hell, most LCDs are actually inferior to CRTs in all but vertical resolution. It didn't stop ppl from buying them, they bought them b/c of the status and utility associated with thinness.

When i changed from a 17" CRT to a 19" LCD, my back felt the difference :p

When i changed from a 17" CRT to a 19" LCD, my back felt the difference :p
That's what the textbooks you couldn't sell back at the end of the year were supposed to be for. Free monitor stands.

so they can over charge for 7 year old technology put pretty plastic on it and great marketing and people that buy it will think they're cutting edge.

5458788917_d3b596e6e5.jpg

Win. I've been saying this ever since it came out. The crapple tech puppets always think they are "a step ahead" of everyone else, when really they are paying double of what the item actually costs crapple to make in China.

They are good at hype & marketing, that's all I will admit.... otherwise its just regurgitated old tech with a fancy new designer style case, yep, 100% spot on.....

Win. I've been saying this ever since it came out. The crapple tech puppets always think they are "a step ahead" of everyone else, when really they are paying double of what the item actually costs crapple to make in China.

They are good at hype & marketing, that's all I will admit.... otherwise its just regurgitated old tech with a fancy new designer style case, yep, 100% spot on.....

Hmm.. you are aware that the HP TC1100 was $2299 at launch?

Say what you will about Apple, but they undeniably push technology forward. The wide availability of commercially viable touch screen smart phones can be traced back directly to the iPhone. It took years for the rest of the industry to catch up, even after they realized how successful the concept was. How long do you think it would have taken to materialize on it's own?

I welcome Apple's attempt at making a television, because I know they are willing to take risks on unproven markets and concepts. Risks no one else seems willing to take.

The fact it's the best selling tablet to date is "magical" enough. Apple doesn't care what YOU think. :p

And Apple is absolutely thrilled that you're fighting for them on a forum. Give the fanboyism a rest.

Say what you will about Apple, but they undeniably push technology forward. The wide availability of commercially viable touch screen smart phones can be traced back directly to the iPhone. It took years for the rest of the industry to catch up, even after they realized how successful the concept was. How long do you think it would have taken to materialize on it's own?

I welcome Apple's attempt at making a television, because I know they are willing to take risks on unproven markets and concepts. Risks no one else seems willing to take.

Palm would like to have a word with you.

Back