Arcania: Easy, or is the game bugged?

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been playing through Arcania and I'm just wrapping up the Silverlake chapter. Up to this point, the game seems rather easy. It's still fun for me, but I'm questioning whether it's supposed to be this easy!

I'm level 17 -- at least, thats what the game things I am. I started at 17 tonight, and I swear I gained two levels, but I could be mistaken (even though I know I trained at least twice tonight!). Normal mobs go down in 2-3 swings of my sword, and the bigger bosses take 4-5 swings.

I played the game on default/Normal difficulty, and I've never died in the game.

Is it really this easy or is my character messed up?

You need to notch it up to Gothic level - yes it's too easy on normal. Gothic level is borderline frustration though, so be prepared for a tough time.

Anyone know if they plan on packaging the expansion with the main game in a bundle?

Anyone know if they plan on packaging the expansion with the main game in a bundle?

This is sketchy, but I thought... emphasis on thought... I read that a gold version will be released in April.

I played again last night. Why isn't this everyone's game of the year? I was enthralled by it and still am. Early next year I'll be playing again, as a Mage. I never play through titles more than once.

This is sketchy, but I thought... emphasis on thought... I read that a gold version will be released in April.

I played again last night. Why isn't this everyone's game of the year? I was enthralled by it and still am. Early next year I'll be playing again, as a Mage. I never play through titles more than once.

Really? I played the demo and didn't like it much at all. The voice acting was awful and the in game characters were so uninspiring. That witch, good grief! I couldn't stand listening to her cackling voice. The quests were so simple and straight forward, but they still had the goals all highlighted for you. The combat was okay I guess, I didn't fight a whole lot.

Overall I wasn't impressed. Certainly not enough to drop $50 or $40, or whatever it costs on the game.

Really? I played the demo and didn't like it much at all. The voice acting was awful and the in game characters were so uninspiring. That witch, good grief! I couldn't stand listening to her cackling voice. The quests were so simple and straight forward, but they still had the goals all highlighted for you. The combat was okay I guess, I didn't fight a whole lot.

Overall I wasn't impressed. Certainly not enough to drop $50 or $40, or whatever it costs on the game.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I was almost immediately turned off from the horrendous voice acting and dialogue. Characters seemed dull. It's just a mediocre RPG.

i found the game quite easy even on gothic level. If you are used to night of the raven difficulty, then there is just no way to make arcania a challenge. it is much more a console game than a true gothic game.

i found the game quite easy even on gothic level. If you are used to night of the raven difficulty, then there is just no way to make arcania a challenge. it is much more a console game than a true gothic game.

Excuse me?

As a pure melee fighter, playing on Gothic level, this game is an extreme challenge, to say the least. I'd go so far as to say there's even a balancing issue here. In Gothic 3, and in Risen, my character started off feeling weak, but became a killing machine near the end of the game.

In Gothic 4, on the Gothic level, it's a constant challenge. If you run across a pack of four scavengers then you'd better hit the quick save key immediately, because it's likely you'll be dead soon. I even started anew, after having leveled up my character improperly, and pumped every point into Clout, and then Verve, after I had maxed my Clout stat.

No way is Gothic 4 'easy' on the Gothic setting. Your game must be broken.

Best part about this game is the creative way they use the dreaded "fetch" quest design...every one of them has a "real-world" reason, and isn't just "get me this shit because I said so!" There's also some great humor in it, and the combat system is relatively engaging.

I wouldn't call it great, but I'd say it's worth playing through. It is definitely too easy on "normal", but that's why there are multiple difficulty levels.

Jeezuz I bit the bullet on this thing and it runs like crap on my sig rig. Crashes every few minutes, stuttering out the ass and the FoV is just atrocious. Ive been trying to mess with some of the xml settings but am still having no luck.

Jeezuz I bit the bullet on this thing and it runs like crap on my sig rig. Crashes every few minutes, stuttering out the ass and the FoV is just atrocious. Ive been trying to mess with some of the xml settings but am still having no luck.

Runs fine on my aging Core2duo and 4870. Must be something wrong with your computer or settings.

Runs fine on my aging Core2duo and 4870. Must be something wrong with your computer or settings.

Dont think its my PC. I just beat Singularity with no issues other than getting the FOV right, and before that James Bond Blood Stone and before that, Divinity 2. All that was since the first of December.

Yup, it's your PC. We have the same computer and Gothic 4 runs perfectly, maxed out at 1920x1080.

Yup, it's your PC. We have the same computer and Gothic 4 runs perfectly, maxed out at 1920x1080.

How can it be my PC when I have been running every other game flawlessly? Hell, I even went back and ran Crysis earlier today no problem. Ran the Haven benchmark a few times and did some stresses on the CPU. Nothing comes up.

If you can think of anything I may have missed, I'd be glad to hear them. I'd like to play the game. From what Ive seen so far it seems to be fun. Just gotta fix the FoV on it and get it to stop crashing.

How can it be my PC when I have been running every other game flawlessly?

How can it not be your PC when other people with similar or less powerful setups can run the game with better performance than you?

Did you patch it?

I have it set to auto update through Steam.

How can it not be your PC when other people with similar or less powerful setups can run the game with better performance than you?

I just dont see how it can be my PC though. I have done so many stress test earlier today and played quite a few other games and everything is running fine except that one single game.

I did manage to get past one hurdle. When I did play, I would have some bad shadowing effects, no matter what setting shadows was on. When I was digging through the XML files, I came across one line in particular that told the game how many cores to use if your a PC or an Xbox. PC was set for 1. I bumped it up to 8 for the threads and saved and restarted the game and no more bad shadow effects and all 8 threads are being utilized now.

Honestly, it sounds to me like the game isn't patched. This game received a small day one patch that addressed a multi core issue, which caused stuttering. It sounds to me like that's the issue.

I don't know why you're tinkering with XML files - it's not necessary.

I'm just shy of 6 hours in. I'm really, really enjoying it so far. More so than Two Worlds II. I'm playing on hard due to Wabe's advisement that Gothic difficulty is an exercise in quicksaving skills more than anything else. It's not overly difficult, but it's just enough to not be TOO easy. This is a great game.

I finished it on normal in around 24 hours and made it to level 29. It started to get a little difficult, but then I got the sword with the life leech ability and it made it pretty easy again. I'm going to play again with a mage because it really was one of the best games I've played in a while, even with all it's bugs.

I picked up Risen on the steam sale, so I'll probably play through that first... then back for another run of arcana.

I finished it on normal in around 24 hours and made it to level 29. It started to get a little difficult, but then I got the sword with the life leech ability and it made it pretty easy again. I'm going to play again with a mage because it really was one of the best games I've played in a while, even with all it's bugs.

I picked up Risen on the steam sale, so I'll probably play through that first... then back for another run of arcana.
Arcania still has bugs, even with the November update?

Risen is great! Remember to tumble. :D

I'm just shy of 6 hours in. I'm really, really enjoying it so far. More so than Two Worlds II. I'm playing on hard due to Wabe's advisement that Gothic difficulty is an exercise in quicksaving skills more than anything else. It's not overly difficult, but it's just enough to not be TOO easy. This is a great game.

And it just gets better.

I have to admit something though, that eventually I also notched it down to Hard. Three quarters of the way through, the Gothic setting became too frustrating. When you find yourself grabbing your hair and pulling on it, then it's time to do something.

My favorite area in this game, by the way, is the swamp level, known as Tooshoo. God I loved that place.

I'm going to be doing the exact same thing - second time as a Mage.

Arcania still has bugs, even with the November update?

Yeah; I was having an issue where all the textures were black. I updated to the latest video nVidia drivers and the problem went away, but that made it so the FMV sequences between chapters wouldn't play video. I just skipped the video and played them through Media Center... not too big of a deal.

Back