archiving divx files?

maademperor

[H]ard|Gawd
So here is my issue...I have a collection of .avi's of tv shows that have started to get a bit out of hand as far as storage is concerned. Storage cost is as low as ever, but I dont want to buy an additional drive just for this purpose until I have to.

So, my question to you guys: is there any zip/archive program that will do any level of compression to shrink and wrap up a 4 gig season of The Unit? WinRAR at Best compression setting did nothing, ditto for Winzip...

is just that divx files cant be compressed or these apps arent suited for this purpose?

I wouldn't think that Divx files could be compressed very much, if at all. If you have them in 4 GB segments, why not just burn them to a DVD disc?

You aren't going to get much in the way of compression on a lossy format compression. Same concept as trying to compress an MP3.

Personally, I switched to using Raid5 arrays. 2TB of TV shows and growing.

I wouldn't think that Divx files could be compressed very much, if at all. If you have them in 4 GB segments, why not just burn them to a DVD disc?

I'm considering that too, I just didnt want more discs to keep up with or have to sort through when my Dad sees an episode of Supernatural and is like "get me every episode. Today." But its still a good option, just take a little organization and good pen-menship on my part...I can barely read half my home burned discs as it is :p

Dew said:
Personally, I switched to using Raid5 arrays. 2TB of TV shows and growing.

wow, 2tb,,,I was considering a nas enclosure with a large array like that for whenever I get my htpc project underway...

The problem is they are already compressed because of being in divx format so you cannot really compress them anymore.

Back