Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 1, Revision 2 questions for an ATI AIW X800XT AGP

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=36&data=1&disc=

Here it says it is compatible with the AGP X800 (R420) AIW. Does this mean it works with the X800XT AIW AGP *WITHOUT* modification to the cooler? It shows a PCI-Express version that doesn't exist and has never been made as being compatible, too, hence why I am somewhat skeptical.

Also, will this offer a significant boost over the stock cooling of an AGP ATI X800XT AIW video card when it is overclocked or at stock? The only reviews that I canf ind are regarding the older, cooler-running 9800pro. I noticed that this version's heatsink is far smaller than the other models' such as ATI Silencer 2, 3, 4, and 5 (different revisions), and also does not cool the memory.

Another quesiton I have is, will this help solve an issue I am having with the system locking up if I run the card for awhile without giving it a break due to heat buildup? It has only occurred since this new video card was installed, and it is stable at stock and overclocked settings except if I let it run for a few hours, the temperature of both videocard and CPU rise a bit higher than they previously would with my old 9800pro normal w/ VGA Silencer on it.

Are these new models hard to install, or is it a relatively straight-forward process? Are the instructions good, and is there a place I can download them to look at them in advance?

Finally, is the thermal paste that comes with it better than Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Alumina? If not, should I just use the stock thermal paste that comes with the ATI Silencer, or buy Arctic Alumina/Arctic Silver 5? If I should go for the Arctic Silver/Alumina product, which one should I get?

IMHO the zalman vf700-cu is a far better option. i recently had to change from arctic silencers because of a space issue and my temps dropped another 8 degrees celcius over the nv silencers. a class product.

Arctic silver 5 is better than alumina. I'm not sure what compound ATi uses. Sapphire seems to be using Shin Etsu, which is about as good as AS5.

Back