Arctic Silencers in @ new egg.

and out of stock. i wonder how many they actually had in stock.

JHefile said:
You guys problem is you want to the the first.

I disagree competly. I dont care if I am the 1st to own one, im not gunna brag about having a new GPU cooler, i just want to overclock higher, and he sooner I get this the sooner I can do so...

they went up from 39.99 on the 20th to 52.99 on the 23rd, newegg is being so gay lately

you guys crack me up. You take for the granted the positive benefits of a capitalistic/consumer driven economy. A wide variety of products, a wide variety of retailers, a plethora of places to gather information on product comparisions, but then bitch when you have to deal with the most essential part of a consumer driven economy...supply and demand.

Quit your bitching already about newegg or any other site adjusting their prices as they see fit...you dont like it, buy it somewhere else, or egads wait a little while! Somehow I don't think youre gonna die when your $400 video card used exclusively for entertainment doesn't have the latest and greatest cooling system.

first impressions

Stock Cooler with AS5

idle 40c max Load 71c

Arctic silencer rev 4

idle 33c max load 58c

room temp 72.5 F

That's all very cool (sorry for the pun) but what difference did it make to your OC?

tamislan said:
That's all very cool (sorry for the pun) but what difference did it make to your OC?

well it takes time to test that but right now I am 5 mhz higher on both settings..

more importantly I just ran a 3dmark with ZERO visual anomalies.

before there was the random jit and jot in certain tests at 5 mhz slower...

so the ramp up begins...

at max oc i exited 03 at 56c....

Well good luck and keep us posted. I must say that the dramatic decrease in temperatures you've experienced is rather impressive to me. I have the older silencer (rev 3) on my ATI 9800 Pro and I didn't find it increased the OC much but it did drop the temperatures a heck of a lot.

Anyone put it on a 6800 ultra yet? Seems like it wouldn't fit without modifications - due to the dual slot cover thing, nothing a hack saw or dremel wouldn't fix though, but you would think that arctic-cooling would have thought of and provided a dual slot cover for 6800 ultra owners?

you can un-install the thing by removing the risers by the dvi outputs, than unscrew the bracket. and runn it through a band saw :)(it what id do if i had an ultra)

X800 pro card oc'd using ATI tools. I can only push mine to 515/560. I have two 80mm fans on the side of the case blowing air to both sides of the card. Not sure as to the temps of my card, but it runs stable. Does anyone think the Artic cooler will make a difference? It looks like a cheap marketing ploy to get enthusiastic/foolish gamers to spend more money.

vga silencers are not ploys. they are vary good products. the new ones(i guess you could call them the "Rev. 4 line") seem to preform vary well. now to mee it sounds as if your headroom limited(your card wont go much further). but i could be wrong

HIS Excalibur X800 Pro IceQII VIVO was able to be pushed to 550/580 and it uses the Arctic Silencer 4. It is supposedly stable at that speed, but I hear it gets mighty hot. I imagine if you already have a realy good flow in your machine, you can pull 545/575 all the time without worry. I guess it all depends. I will post my results on Friday after i receive mine.

My answer was in the review -

2) Double bracket problems
Regarding the NV Silencer 4 and 5 there were indeed problems with double bracket cards. We add from now on in the production an extra single bracket for the card. That means that in about 7-8 weeks the NV Silencer 4 and 5 will also fit double bracket boards.

But also from that review it seems like it's not worth it for the ultras anyway. Oh well, money saved.

bvincent said:
My answer was in the review -

2) Double bracket problems
Regarding the NV Silencer 4 and 5 there were indeed problems with double bracket cards. We add from now on in the production an extra single bracket for the card. That means that in about 7-8 weeks the NV Silencer 4 and 5 will also fit double bracket boards.

But also from that review it seems like it's not worth it for the ultras anyway. Oh well, money saved.

Yea, I hear the Ultra's have a very good solution already attached. The only thing you are buying at this point would be a quieter fan. If you were looking at more performance, you're staring at water cooling.

Well my screws heads on the back of m y pcb are screwd so i cant unscrew them off.. Neone wouldnt happen to know how to take them off without a screw? x800

booGamiHXC said:
Well my screws heads on the back of m y pcb are screwd so i cant unscrew them off.. Neone wouldnt happen to know how to take them off without a screw? x800

Who made it, Pro, Pro VIVO or XT? Got any pics?

Mutalys said:
Yea, I hear the Ultra's have a very good solution already attached. The only thing you are buying at this point would be a quieter fan. If you were looking at more performance, you're staring at water cooling.

My ultra runs pretty cool and I have much louder fans on my system than the ultra fan so thats not an issue for me. I'm about maxed on air so yeah water cooling is my next venture.

booGamiHXC said:

hmm you are in trouble.....you could drill them out then reverse tap them then remove...but thats jewelers level work...

One problem with the current VGA Silencer 5, they DO NOT come with a double bracket mount for the 6800 ULTRAs. Meaning that you basically block the exhaust from the fan if you do not cut away the second bracket, its useless. Arctic is aware of this and plan on having them in 7-8 weeks.

Clearance.JPG

Well they provide you with adequate instructions. The main worries are:

- Make sure you get the card manufacturer's thermal paste/tape/crap off the RAM and the GPU
- Don't screw things in too tightly because you can crack/break/mess up the card and/or components
- Ensure you have good thermal paste between the heatsink and the RAM+GPU (i.e. throw out whatever comes with the silencer and get yourself some Arctic Silver 5)
- Make sure you know how to apply thermal paste
- Make sure you have good flat contact between the heatsink and the RAM + GPU to ensure good thermal conduction with the minimum of thermal paste

If you're any way technically minded, you shouldn't have any problems. It's surprisingly easy as long as you are careful. Just remember you're probably kissing your warranty good bye when you do this, so don't enter into it lightly.

I would recommend that you run the card with the default cooler for a period of at least a month before you put a silencer on it. That way you're reasonably sure the card isn't going to go belly up because of a defect any time soon. It would be a shame to have the card mess up through no fault of yours or the silencer and not be able to claim the warranty.

If you are using AS5 be very careful where it goes...

You will end up with a borked card if you get it in places like traces and between bga and board...

theelviscerator said:
If you are using AS5 be very careful where it goes...

You will end up with a borked card if you get it in places like traces and between bga and board...

Good God, its not that hard to appy properly. Quit have a hard on hissy fit about it. :rolleyes:

how would you be voiding the warranty? if the card has a problem you can always put the old heatsink back on with thermal pads on the ram instead of AS5.

Just got mine in from FrozenCPU along with my Stacker Crossflow Fan. Should be having some fun tonight.

Really hard to find reviews on how loud the various 6800 GT's are. Anyone have any good links or info? Anyway... I don't have to have super quiet. Just don't want super loud. While the 6800GT OC seems like the way to go... I'm concerned about the noise I'll be creating trying to keep it cool.

Anybody that has one... how loud is the stock cooler? And could I get an aftermarket GPU cooler for the 6800 GT that will be quieter and as if not more cool than the stock fan?

:confused:

Thanks!

Back