Are all new c2d cpu fans the same?

greasedneut

Weaksauce
Mainly comparing the Q6660 and the E8400, would I be good to use the E8400 fan on the Q6660, or not? Thank you.

Last I heard, the Q6600's come with thicker heatsinks than the others do.
For duals, Intel switched to a "smaller" heatsink recently.

why use the stock at all? especially on that quad... runs much hotter than the e8 series.

Last I heard, the Q6600's come with thicker heatsinks than the others do.
For duals, Intel switched to a "smaller" heatsink recently.

I think it's that older 65nm CPUs use the larger ones and the 45nm use the low profile ones. This due to the heat produced by the respective technologies. Using the big instead of the small would be fine, but I would not recommend going the other way.

My most recent E2160 came with the smaller heatsink.
Ordered it in May, it came in the new fancy blue box (Like the box the 45nm's use) and not the regular light-blue ugly box.

The two previous E2160's I've ordered came with the large one, which I believe was the same size as the one that came with my Q6600. I've not compared them directly, but I do know for sure the newest heatsink is significantly smaller than any of the previous ones I've ordered.
:(

The Q6600's might be larger than all of them, or the same size as the "old" Intel heatsink... Don't know, exactly.

No, it would not be good to use the E8400 HSF on the Q6600.

65nm chips come with the smaller HSF, too. My E2200 that I bought in Nov./Dec. of last year came with the smaller HSF.

I stand corrected - I had an E6600 and Q6600 with the large ones and only saw the small ones in reviews with the 45nm - hence my assumption.

Anyone see any reviews comparing the two Intel coolers?

Nah, and I'm too lazy to look. Though, I'd test it out for you if I had a spare board layin around.

i saw a review comparing the e6600 heatsink with the e8400 heatsink, the e6600 one is bigger. the e8400 runs cool enough at stock to not need one as big

Back