are LGA 775 mobos predominantly micro-atx?

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a machine I built a few years back that's a Core2Duo E6300 in a Foxconn mobo (I don't recall the model number, it was alright but I've had a few issues with it and probably wouldn't give foxconn another try.) I'm building a new rig but I was thinking about just buying a replacement mobo and keeping that PC around as a backup/secondary for the occasional multiplayer FPS bout. I looked on Newegg and when I pick Intel/LGA775, I'm seeing almost all micro-atx motherboards and there is not even ONE with 5 eggs. Not that I base a decision totally on newegg's ratings, but after the quirkiness I had with the foxconn, I am NOT looking to take a gamble and buy something that people have reported occasional issues with.

Am I missing something?? Aren't there any decent, reliable, regular ATX mobos out there that will fit a C2D E6300?

775 is an old dead platform. I would sell the E6300 and buy a cheap 1155 board with a G530 or G620. The total spent will be very similar if you compare. Most 775 boards I have seen are also DDR2 which is very expensive and may make the 775 path more expensive.

Okay but the thing is, I am looking to just spend 50 bucks or so on a mobo and then that's it, I have EVERYTHING else. I already have 4gb of decent speed ddr2 in it. Literally all I would be doing is swapping out the mobo because it has a few stupid quirks and the LAN port is dead. I'm not looking to overhaul the pc just replace the mobo - I am already building a new PC which will be an i5-2500k.

Or try someone else other than Newegg. Mwave, Tiger Direct, Frys, Micro Center, etc.

Sadly your best bet is Ebay (Larger Selection) or the FS/FT Forums (Better Sellers/Often Better Condition Equipment) here on [H] for a full ATX Board. Newegg has stopped carrying the 775 Full ATX's mainly due to the fact 775 is a discontenued technology and MATX Boards are cheaper/easier to produce.

Something like the P5Q Pro by Asus or EP45/ EP35 Series from Gigabyte are gona be your best bets for being found used & reliable.

If you search Core 2 Duo's and core 2 Quad you will only find 1 of each. Likely because of 1 of 2 reasons. 1. They simply still have stock left and will discontenue the product when their stock runs out, or 2. They keep a small supply of these CPU's for people who want to upgrade from something like an old 1.8 C2D to something with a little more pep without having to buy a whole new core to their system (Mobo/cpu/ram).

Aside from the fact they are cheaper to produce another likelyhood is as people upgrade from their C2D Systems they find themselves with a reasonably powerfull cpu that is not worth much money going to waste. So things like HTPC's are born from them.

Or say someone's 775 ATX Full featured Motherboard dies and they dont want to invest $150+ in another mid/high end 775 board just to get back what they had, when they can get an entry level sandy bridge setup (i5 2400) for about $275 with Mobo/CPU/ram and easily double their speed. So they buy the new guts and later decide to build a HTPC from their dust gathering CD2 cpu/ram in which again they want a 775 MATX motherboard with integrated gfx.

Long story short. 775 lead a VERY VERY long life as far as the computer industry goes. From early 2004 till depending on when you considered dead either about mid 2010 or till sometime in the not so far off future from now. The only socket i can think of that spanned as long of a life as from mid 1994 to sometime between about 2001 and 2002 and that was the Socket 7.
It lead a full life cycle but has been set out to pasture.

I understand what you are trying to do, and it's the easy path, but let's do the math.

You can probably sell the E6300 for $30, the 4GB or DDR2 should go for $35.
That's $65.

A G530 is $40 at microcenter, and 4GB of DDR3 for $18.
So that's $58, and you need to pay tax, so let's say it's $65. Same as what you get for selling the old stuff.

You already realize a 775 board will be about $50. An H61 is about $55 at microcenter.

Overall maybe you spend a few dollars more, but you get an up to date platform and cpu with more features, and it's the same 1155 platform as you are building now so you could swap parts around for testing or whatever. To me it makes sense to go through the trouble to sell the old stuff and buy new.

I didn't think it would be that cheap to pick up an 1155 cpu and ddr3 ram. Sounds like a plan.

Back