Are my temps too high?

Hostile

Gawd
My CPU temp at boot is currently 102F at idle. Is that high for the processor that I have? It's a retail processor with the retail heatsink/fan.

Specs:
Case: Tsunami Dream
Power Supply: Sunbeam SUNNU550 550W SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+
Motherboard: eVGA NF4 SLI
Memory: 2 x 1GB PC4200
Videocard: 2 x eVGA 7900GT
Soundcard: SB PCI512
NIC: Onboard
Optical 1: LiteOn 16x DVD-ROM
Optical 2: NEC 3500A
Hard Drive 1: Seagate 250GB SATA 7.2k rpm
Monitor: Dell 2407WFP
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech MX700

I've been having heat issues since summer hit the area and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to keep the inside of the computer cool. Is that CPU temp normal? Or do I need to look at a different cooling solution?

TIA

That isn't too bad for aircooling. Have you cleaned up your cabling so you have proper airflow through the case?

thats not too bad. mine was up around there when we got hit with the heat. i had to drag out the ac to keep the room cooler. what does it get up to under load? and what is the system temp at?

WoW kept locking up on me tonight so I shut down, pulled all the cabling and re-connected it all. The cables were done ok before, but I got the case a little cleaner. Also...I had a TON of dust in the case, the filter over the intake was covered. Now that it's cleaner I've put the side panel back on. Getting all that dust out should make a huge difference.

I have a Pentium D 805 OC'd to 3.4Ghz and i idle at 46C and load at less than 60C. You shouldnt worry about your setup at all.

I have a Pentium D 805 OC'd to 3.4Ghz and i idle at 46C and load at less than 60C. You shouldnt worry about your setup at all.

The differences is your cpu is a Pentium D which tends to release more heat than a AMD x2.

I'm currently idling at ~47C/113F (Core0) and ~37C/97F (Core1).

I fired up WoW and my temps immeidately jumped to 49C/120F (Core0) and 41C/111F (Core1).

I'm using Core Temp 0.95 for measuring.

• CPU Max Temperature

AMD Althon, Althon,Opteron, Duron & Sempron Series
    AMD Athlon (socket) upto 1Ghz 90°C
    AMD Athlon (slot) all speeds 70°C
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz+ 95°C
    AMD Athlon MP 1.33Ghz+ 95°C
    AMD Athlon XP 1.33Ghz+ 90°C
    AMD Athlon XP T-Bred upto 2100+ 90°C
    AMD Athlon XP T-Bred over 2100+ 85°C
    AMD Athlon XP Barton 85°C
    AMD Duron up to 1Ghz 90°C
    AMD Duron 1Ghz+ 90°C
    AMD Duron Applebred 85°C
    AMD Opteron 65 - 71°C
    AMD Athlon 64 70°C
    AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 939, 1.4 volts) 65°C
    AMD Athlon 64 FX 70°C
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 71°C
    AMD Sempron (T-bred/Barton core) 90°C
    AMD Sempron (Paris core) 70°C
    AMD Mobile Sempron 95°C

AMD K6 Series
    AMD K6/K6-2/K6-III (All except below) 70°C
    AMD K6-2/K6-III (model number ending in X) 65°C
    AMD K6-2+/K6-III+ 85°C

Intel Pentium III Series
    Pentium III Slot 1 500-866Mhz 80°C
    Pentium III Slot and socket 933Mhz 75°C
    Pentium III Slot 1 1Ghz 60 - 70°C
    Pentium III Slot 1 1.13Ghz 62°C

Intel Celeron Series
    Intel Celeron 266-433Mhz 85°C
    Intel Celeron 466-533Mhz 70°C
    Intel Celeron 566-600Mhz (Coppermine) 90°C
    Intel Celeron 633-667Mhz 82°C
    Intel Celeron 700 - 850Mhz 80°C
    Intel Celeron 900Mhz - 1.6Ghz 69 - 70°C
    Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz and Higher 67 - 77°C

Intel Pentium II
    Intel Pentium II (First Generation "Klamath") 72 - 75°C
    Intel Pentium II (Second Generation, 266-333Mhz) 65°C
    Intel Pentium II (350 - 400Mhz) 75°C
    Intel Pentium II (450Mhz) 70°C

Intel Pentium 4,Pentium M (notebooks)
    Intel Pentium 4 64 - 78°C
    There are no specific stats for Pentium 4 CPU’s as P4’s have an ability to slow themselves down when they are getting too hot and thus, in theory they should never be able to burn themselves out. To get specifics consult Intel’s specifications for your particular model.

Intel Pentium M (notebooks) 100°C :eek:

Intel Pentium D (dualcore)
    Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) 63°C
    Intel Pentium D 830 & 840 (3.0 - 3.2Ghz) 69.8°C

Intel Pentium Pro
    Intel Pentium Pro. 256 or 512K L2 Cache 85°C
    Intel Pentium Pro. 1MB L2 Cache 80°C

• CPU Max Temperature
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 71°C

• Well I guess I should be relieved that my processor isn't going to burn up...but a processor is going to exhibit instability well before it's max temp threshold. Right?

if that list is from Intel saying what the max temps should be, then its safe to run up until that point. there ***should*** be no instability or problems up until that point. if your processor has been mistreated/overclocked/racked up thousands of hours, you might see some problems at lower temps.

That list was complied from AMD and Intels websites. Ive had it sitting on a txt for quite some time and i just remembered it. :D

i wish my 4200+ x2 idled at 38c
mine is at 30c right now, with the system at 27c. i have an antec 900 with all fans on low, and a zalman 9700 on the slowest speed (1394rpms). but today is a cold 75f outside. last week when it was 90 outside with no ac in here i was 38-40 idle, but it never got above 51 under full load. im running it at 2.5.

Forgot to add I'm not overclocking and have never overclocked any of this hardware.

same here...i redid my thermal and now i idle around 45c wid the case open...

with my setup below and having my panaflo on at half speed and my case fans set to medium I idle at 34c with room temp of 23c.

I came home from work tonight and my computer was off. I had been off most of the day.

Twice since I've been home it's shutdown while I've been playing WoW. The BIOS is reporting a core temp of 107F and a system temp of 102F.

I hope not.

Something I should have mentioned and it just slipped my mind. All these problems started happening about 2 weeks ago after we came back from going out of town for memorial Day weekend. Apparently my wife turned the AC in the apartment off and I had left my computer running. Upstairs in the loft it was about 95F when we came home Monday morning. My computer was on but I had horrible graphical glitching so I rebooted the computer. When Windows loaded back up I was still seeing the glitches so I shut the machine down for about an hour to let it cool off. After that it appeared to be ok...but after a day or two it started acting up which was when I took the side off and pointed a fan at the inside.

I have a Q6600 with a TR ultra-120 extreme that's about 48-54C average atm, (fluctuates depending on what temp monitoring program i use) but it's also been in the 90's the past few weeks and very humid. (Florida weather) I
Is it true that quad cores run fairly hot? And if so is there any way to get temps lower after reseating the heat sink, arranging cables and dusting?
Probably going to reseat the ultra as i suspect it's not on right, but atm i'm running fine with no problems so not TOO worried atm. :eek:

Back