are product keys linked to the physical install CD for Windows XP?

pookguy88

Gawd
I've got a client site that has an older Dell Optiplex with a COA for WinXP on the case but I don't have the CD.. is it possible to just use another Windows XP install CD but just input that product key from the COA? Or do I need to find/get that original install CD?

thanks

They aren't linked to the physical CD, but you will need the proper license type. For example, since this is a Dell computer, it has an OEM license key on the COA. You'll need an XP OEM disc in order to use that key. You'll also need to match up the version of XP, either Home or Pro.

You can usually buy an OEM version, or you can get it from the OEM directly, sometimes for a small fee. If the Dell reinstallation disc has the same version of XP as the COA is valid for, it should work just fine. You'll probably have a lot of crap and drivers to remove, but it should work, unless it is for that specific model computer.

when you say 'same version', does it matter if it's SP1 vs SP2? I've tried installing that Dell reinstallation disc before and when it copies the files over for setup in that initial blue screen setup on a fresh Windows setup there are some files that it says are corrupted or something, is it ok to skip these files? I know the CD is fine because it's a fresh copy and I've tried other Dell reinstallation discs and they have the same problem

No, SP levels don't matter, as the same key will work for any SP level. If you are using an older version, previous to SP3, I'd use AutoStreamer and turn that disc into an SP3 disc.

An XP installation CD is not specific to any machine and does not include any drivers or software.
You can use it to make a fresh XP install on any machine as long as you use the correct combination of OEM versus retail and Home versus pro.

A restore CD is specific to a model. It includes drivers that are for the hardware on that machine. You cannot restore that onto any machine. It is actually an image that you restore only on that specific machine.

Edit:
Well, you can restore it on any machine. But, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to do anything with it.
Just extract the contents of that CD and recover the i386 folder.
Then, follow the instructions on this link to build your own XP installation CD.
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

Last edited:
Back