Are there any good PVA displays available?

klezmer41

n00b
I'm mostly wanting 24", but I can go higher. I play a lot of FPS, but also do a lot of programming, graphics work, database and information architecture work. I might actually want 3 monitors for productivity but I'll start with 2.

Hm. Why not just go IPS?

Anyways - PVAs that I know of:
Dell 2407 (lottery, might get an IPS)
Dell 2408 (PVA as far as I know)
Dell 2405 (PVA)
Samsung 244t
HP LP2465
I believe Soyo also has a lottery 24" that has either a PVA or TN panel.

There are a number of Samsung models that use cPVA panels, and a new NEC is coming out in July. They all appear to be 23" 1080 monitors, though there was a smaller one at one point. The Samsung panels have extremely high contrast ratios, some may suffer black crush (but see:http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036917388), and they have relatively high response times -- not typically the characteristics of a FPS monitor, from my understanding.

That's not to say they are bad monitors -- they are excellent monitors for office work and some media. I use two for programming and development work, and have two more, one at a laptop workstation and one on my linux box.

In the > 24" PVA range, you're limited to Eizo monitors, all pricey, and none well set up for gaming.

There are some MVA monitors out, from BenQ iirc, with similar panel characteristics.

c-pva are really bad for any kind of fps
you wanna get a s-pva for that

i don't know any good s-pva widescreens though

The latest and the greatest--that's what it's about here. When the latest is NOT the greatest, not much of substance to say...

As is true with LCD displays since about two years ago.

The latest and the greatest--that's what it's about here. When the latest is NOT the greatest, not much of substance to say...

As is true with LCD displays since about two years ago.

I actually had some Dell U2410s, and they got sent back.

the 2333t is terrible for fps

Havent had any complaints here Ive recently played through Duke Nukem forever / Portal 2 and currently playing Alice Madness returns, Using DVI on the 2333T sure it ghosts more than my TN panel but the 2333T looks nicer and its good having an LCD with actual good black levels for once.

Havent had any complaints here Ive recently played through Duke Nukem forever / Portal 2 and currently playing Alice Madness returns, Using DVI on the 2333T sure it ghosts more than my TN panel but the 2333T looks nicer and its good having an LCD with actual good black levels for once.

Input lag and ghosting doesn't matter in single player.

Battlefield 3 + Benq 2410T = Win.

Input lag and ghosting doesn't matter in single player.

Battlefield 3 + Benq 2410T = Win.

Input lag definitely isn't a factor with the 2333T, it feels just as responsive vs. my TN panel.

The PX2370 on the left was tested @ 3ms input lag vs. a CRT on digitalversus
px2370_2333T_1.JPG

px2370_2333T.JPG

Back