Are there future 1066 MHZ Penryns or only 1333MHz ones?

umgill45

Limp Gawd
Hi, just as the subject line says cos i'm looking to upgrade my mobo (if i have to ) and CPU come jan. 08 :rolleyes: Thanks to all those who answer in advance. Peace

If your mobo is 1333 enabled, the first gen 45nm ones which run @ 1333mhz should be compatible (Provided mobo manufacturer, Asus in your case releases bios updates ).

Im expecting that only high end mobos will get the new bios update as they also have to think about sales ;). But if they have published that its compatible, I dont see any problem, most you might have to do is to update the bios.

There is at least one 1066MHz FSB Wolfdale CPU coming early next year: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3069&p=2
In Q2 2008, Intel will push Penryn even further down the line and introduce a Wolfdale based E4xxx successor. This version of Wolfdale will have a 1066MHz FSB and drops support for Intel Virtualization Technology and TXT.

But as mentioned above, Asus and other manufacturers of *965 boards have unofficial support for 1333MHz FSB CPUs, so that part really isn't the problem.

As it has been said, Penryn-based CPUs will be built on 45nm technology. Their rated FSBs are 1066MHz, 1333MHz and 1600MHz (for now, I don't know if a 2GHz FSB is planed before the switch to CSI-based CPUs...).

For now, there are news of one 1066MHz "Penryn-based" CPU, the E4700. Probably most 1066MHz-enabled mobos will be able to handle it with a BIOS upgrade, since Penryns are not that different from Core-based CPUs in the first place. Just look at the "ConRoe1333" mobos from ASRock, which can handle dual-core Penryns with no hardware updates.

Most dual and quad-core Penryn-based CPUs will have a 1333MHz FSB. Again, motherboards that can handle 1333MHz on the FSB (just about anything from the 945, P965 and 3x series - not the G965, it seems it scales pretty bad) should only require a BIOS update to work with 45nm CPUs, and only because they have different microcodes... Also, 3x series chipsets were designed with Penryn in mind, so they shouldn't even cough if you dropped a Penryn in there right now.

Lastly, there will also exist 1600MHz FSB Penryns. There is at least an Extreme Edition Quad planned (if it's not out already...), but it is likely others will follow before Q4 2008, when the transition to CSI-based CPUs (and systems) is expected to start. Officially, only X48 chipsets (not really sure about X38, but since AFAIK X48 are hand-picked X38s, you should be fine) have support for 1600MHz FSB CPUs, but since 3x series chipsets (G33 and P35, G35 is unknown for now, G31 is limited to ~333MHz and Qxx are seldom used...) are more than able to hit 1600MHz on the FSB (for the most part, at least), they will probably handle these CPUs as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Miguel

So there's the E4700 which will be dual core probably. Is there a quad core 1066MHZ Penryn too? \Will the P35 give better overall overclocking potential over the 965 if paired with a Penryn based CPU? I mean is it worth changing the mobo if you're goin Penryn?

So there's the E4700 which will be dual core probably. Is there a quad core 1066MHZ penryn too?
I think you're more likely to see a LGA775 1066MHz FSB QC Xeon Penryn than a Core 2 branded one. If there are any i'd guess it would be the lower end models.

So basically any 965 mobo has to be replaced in order to run Penryn's? (replacement would most likely be a P35 or X38)

I'm confused because on ASUS's website it says "Support Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-core CPU" even though my mobo (its in the sig.) is a 965 chipset.

heres a link :

http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&l4=0&model=1347&modelmenu=2

Your mobo can handle 45nm, don't worry. ;)

http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/

Whether it would be able to overclock a 1333FSB Penryn a substantial amount is another story. To get a Q9450 to 3.6GHz would require a 450FSB, which is pretty though on the chipset.

Has anyone here overclocked a Q6600 on a P965 board? How are you guys faring?

Will the 680i A1 from evga support penryn? I read somewhere that it will with a bios update. I want to hear it from here as this is the only place i trust.

Will the 680i A1 from evga support penryn? I read somewhere that it will with a bios update. I want to hear it from here as this is the only place i trust.

yes it will, its up on anandtech, All A1/T1 Evga 680i boards will support Penryn Cpus

Your mobo can handle 45nm, don't worry. ;)

http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/

Whether it would be able to overclock a 1333FSB Penryn a substantial amount is another story. To get a Q9450 to 3.6GHz would require a 450FSB, which is pretty though on the chipset.

Has anyone here overclocked a Q6600 on a P965 board? How are you guys faring?

Thanks for the link that was some great info.

Yup i want to know whether the q6600 is overclockable (to atleast 3Ghz) and/or the penryn q9450 will be a better cpu upgrade.

then again i read this on anandtech "The support for the 945GC chipset will be based on the supplier and there will not be official support from Intel for the P965 chipset."

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3138&p=5

What's important is the last line " Nehalem will need a new chipset and a mobo" if thats true i'm sticking to my 965 and getting a q6600 or q9450 (again i really wanna know which one is better) :p

anyone with a 965=q6600 please now is the time to speak up.
Oh how much i hope it'll touch 400 FSB with the q6600 installed.
Oh and a noobish question "if i have BIOS 1201 do i need to upgrade to 1501and then to 1601 or can i just go straight from 1201to 1601" ( i think i can go straight but just wanna confirm.

any word on 1066mhz quad core yorkfields? asking since they'll come with higher multipliers than 1333mhz cpus.

Oh and a noobish question "if i have BIOS 1201 do i need to upgrade to 1501and then to 1601 or can i just go straight from 1201to 1601" ( i think i can go straight but just wanna confirm.

Heh, you can jump as many BIOS revisions as you want. ;)

Btw, speaking of that AnandTech review, take a look at this:
Anandtech said:
Elsewhere in the land of Intel chipsets, we have several manufacturers that will offer a combination of Wolfdale and/or Yorkfield compatibility on their 945GC-based motherboards. While this chipset does not specifically support 1333FSB operations, a couple of manufacturers have worked their BIOS magic to provide support
Now I'm confused... Does this mean the 945G/GC chipsets can handle Quads? I'm a HUGE fan of the 945G/GC chipsets, but to this date I've never seen Quad-core compatibility being advertised, not even on the "CPU support list"...

What gives? I always thought it would be a chipset limitation, or some sort of "Intel embargo", since even the 865G can handle Q6x00s...

Does anyone have a 945GC board to check this? Thanks.

Cheers.

Miguel

Back