Are you worried abouterrible reliabity on next gen consoles?

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
As the topic says, are you?

it got me thinking. seeing as the 360 were terrible, could we expect the same for the ps4 and xbox one?

reliability is a big concern for me as it is a hassle sending shit back to MS/sony and it is unaceptable for stuff to have terrible QC.

Not really a big deal. If the console can be bought with an extended warranty, I'm set.

Not really. They all seem to be very modest compared to cutting-edge tech.

As the topic says, are you?

it got me thinking. seeing as the 360 were terrible, could we expect the same for the ps4 and xbox one?

reliability is a big concern for me as it is a hassle sending shit back to MS/sony and it is unaceptable for stuff to have terrible QC.

Last gen was built on fairly new manufacturing processes and ended up with heat related issues. The new systems are being built on stable low power low heat processes. We should see much more stable systems this time.

Yar, I'm thinking MS lost quite a bit of money with the first generation heat issues of the 360 and won't want to repeat the same mistake.

It's hard to tell right now... It does have a bit fan thing, but the venting doesn't look great. It also depends on if there are yield issues as is rumored.

Last gen was built on fairly new manufacturing processes and ended up with heat related issues.

Meh yeah but no. PPC has been around for a long, long time.
Die shrinks don't typically cause as many issues as they had; the reason there were hardware problems before (mainly) was because of heat and a shitty R&D job on adequate cooling. The stuff ran too hot, boards were warped, the chips cooked. Their solution was gluing the chips to the board until they were able to do another die shrink and get them to run cooler on the shitty cooling system they implemented in the first place.

As for the question in the OP - hell yes. The technology is ages old (as it was before), but let's see more $$$ spent on R&D and fundamental thermal processes (which I think will happen this time, due to the glaring mistakes made in the current gen). That being said, I'm probably several years off from buying a new console and by the time I do buy one (Ps4) they'll probably already be into "slims" or at least a redesign or die shrink.

Meh yeah but no. PPC has been around for a long, long time.
Die shrinks don't typically cause as many issues as they had; the reason there were hardware problems before (mainly) was because of heat and a shitty R&D job on adequate cooling. The stuff ran too hot, boards were warped, the chips cooked. Their solution was gluing the chips to the board until they were able to do another die shrink and get them to run cooler on the shitty cooling system they implemented in the first place.

As for the question in the OP - hell yes. The technology is ages old (as it was before), but let's see more $$$ spent on R&D and fundamental thermal processes (which I think will happen this time, due to the glaring mistakes made in the current gen). That being said, I'm probably several years off from buying a new console and by the time I do buy one (Ps4) they'll probably already be into "slims" or at least a redesign or die shrink.

Meh yeah... Rrod caused by video chip failure heat causes the new at the time lead free solder to come loose same with ylod in ps3 both coupled with poor cooling solutions and shitty paste on ps3. Both systems the CPU was never an issue since both used proven IBM CPUs processes.

The weak point will continue to be the disc drives in any system. Why I like digital model better. Hard drives are pretty damn reliable and you can always replace and download again.

If i worried about shit breaking I'd never buy anything.
approximately 80% - 90% of YLOD and RROD issues are caused by Chip Separation of the GPU from the motherboard.

Chip separation happens over time when the solder between the Graphics Chip and the motherboard becomes weak and brittle. The console heats up and cools down, expanding and contracting until the solder eventually cracks. These cracks are very tiny, but it is enough to make the console lose its connection.

Source
http://konsoleking.com/11.html

Last edited:
It's hard to tell right now... It does have a bit fan thing, but the venting doesn't look great. It also depends on if there are yield issues as is rumored.

If you're referring to the Xbox One, why do you think the venting doesn't look great? I'm just curious, since it looks like nearly half the enclosure is vented.

As for the original question, I'm not really concerned with either of the next-gen consoles. Microsoft ended up devoting a billion dollars to repairing 360's and I don't think they want to do that again. It looks like they're doing a lot more to ensure proper cooling and ventilation. Sony hasn't shown their hardware yet, but I'm sure they'll be fine as well.

Not worried about Sony... Microsoft on the other hand really screwed a lot of their customers with the 1st gen 360. However, I think Microsoft learned their lesson in the millions of dollars that went to refunding people for red rings and for fixing the consoles for free.

If you're referring to the Xbox One, why do you think the venting doesn't look great? I'm just curious, since it looks like nearly half the enclosure is vented.

Because the airflow looks like it is at right angles to the venting. It's generally accepted in PC cooling that you want a "wind tunnel" kind of setup where it blows in one side, through the hot stuff, and out the other keeping stuff as simple as possible avoiding "3d" airflow where possible.

With the Xbox One the fan fires down (or up?) but the venting is side on, so though air will get drawn in there's a chance that pockets of heat will form and the fans strength wont be used to its fullest (plus it looks like it's going to get full of dust quickly).

I think PS4 and One are going to be very reliable. In PC's, how often do CPU's and GPU's fail? Most of the time it's the hard drive or something.

As long as these systems are quiet. I fired up my 360 for the first time in a while to finally play Mass Effect 3. That system is LOUD, and I'm playing on the 2nd gen model, too.

It's generally accepted in PC cooling that you want a "wind tunnel" kind of setup where it blows in one side, through the hot stuff, and out the other keeping stuff as simple as possible avoiding "3d" airflow where possible.

Thats just one way of cooling. There are other ways to do it and I'm sure both companies considered what was the best for their design. They probably spent less time considering their options in the last design becuase they intended you to shut them off. I'm not sure either company really expects the console to be powered off anymore, so they will ramp up the cooling.

People have to take some of the blame for consoles dying, too. I know there was a flaw in the MS design, I'm not talking about that. However, lots of people still put them in an entertainment center with no airflow, or stack stuff on top of it. I'm sure many 360's died early because of this.

Chip separation happens over time when the solder between the Graphics Chip and the motherboard becomes weak and brittle. The console heats up and cools down, expanding and contracting until the solder eventually cracks. These cracks are very tiny, but it is enough to make the console lose its connection.

This is part of the problem that makes things seem like they don't last as long. Years ago, regulations changed and the contents of solider were changed. The "new stuff" has a lower melting point and is much more susceptible to damage now.

Just ship the x1 and ps4 with a modified corsair H60:D

But being serious, the first Xbox 360 had an inferior cooling set up (heat sink and fan too small if I remember right) and the first ps3 had a fan that would recirculate hot air in the unit.

I think that they would invest more in a better cooling solution that they failures are not a big issue....
...but I also know a way for your shinny new next gen console not to fail...wait a year until the version 2 "slim" is released that fixes all (or most) of the early adopter woes.

In PC's, how often do CPU's and GPU's fail? Most of the time it's the hard drive or something.

Not so much when it comes to CPUs, but GPU failures is one of the most common in PC parts IMO, at least from what I've experienced and heard other people say.

APUs this powerful is new tech as well, Xbone is already having issues with it's unique ESRAM design, I hope neither console will face issues with the APUs.

Because the airflow looks like it is at right angles to the venting. It's generally accepted in PC cooling that you want a "wind tunnel" kind of setup where it blows in one side, through the hot stuff, and out the other keeping stuff as simple as possible avoiding "3d" airflow where possible.

With the Xbox One the fan fires down (or up?) but the venting is side on, so though air will get drawn in there's a chance that pockets of heat will form and the fans strength wont be used to its fullest (plus it looks like it's going to get full of dust quickly).

I see what you're saying. I've only seen one photo showing the inside of the system, and maybe that's all they've shown. There's a possibility that in the image(s) they've shown some stuff has been removed, so you can see more of the guts, and that they have things in place to channel and create more of an air-flow. The 360 has plastic cooling fan ducts to channel air... although a lot a good it did with those original systems.

Not really a big deal. If the console can be bought with an extended warranty, I'm set.

No need to buy extended warranties if you have a card that does it for you

http://usa.visa.com/business/why-pay-with-visa/security-benefits/bft-purchase-security.html

The Visa Business Purchase Security and Extended Protection benefits automatically protect many of the new retail purchases that you make with your eligible Visa Business card. The benefits—available at no additional charge—protect your eligible purchases in two ways.

What are these benefits?
Purchase Security
Within the first ninety (90) days of purchase, Purchase Security will, at the Benefit Administrator's discretion, replace, repair, or reimburse you for eligible items of personal property purchased entirely with your eligible Visa Business card up to a maximum of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) per claim and fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00) per cardholder in the event of theft or damage.

Extended Protection
Extended Protection doubles the time period of the original manufacturer’s written U.S. warranty up to one (1) additional year on warranties of three (3) years or less up to a maximum of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) per claim.

Last gen was built on fairly new manufacturing processes and ended up with heat related issues. The new systems are being built on stable low power low heat processes. We should see much more stable systems this time.

360 was not killed by heat, it was killed by a missing metal layer in the chip...that leads to additional stresses being placed upon the unit from heating and cooling cycles. The lead free solder would crack resulting in failure.

AMD relased the x1800 Radeons on 90nm and there were no wide spread failures of those parts....(the first AMD GPU that was released on that process). That chip was available at time of 360 release...and everyone knows those run very hot...

In theory it should be more reliable with an APU(Eliminating possible points of failure). If the psu or motherboard quality is bad then prepare for bad news. Anything is possible mostly.

I seriously doubt it both companies saw how bad the RROD fiasco was so I wouldn't be surprised to see something similair to putting a Megahelems on a Core i3 2100.

the cooling is essential. these consoles need to be beasts for them to cool properly but the average joe will not be happy about a large console.
if average joe had it there way they would want there consoles to be as small and thin as tablet devices.

the cooling is essential. these consoles need to be beasts for them to cool properly but the average joe will not be happy about a large console.
if average joe had it there way they would want there consoles to be as small and thin as tablet devices.

Well average joe needs to pull his head out of his ass and realize milk comes from cows and oil comes from out of the earth.

Back