Aren't you guys sick of the panel type guessing game?

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
When are companies going to start disclosing panel types with their monitor specs? Every one of us has gone through this BS of figuring out what panel type a certain monitor is, one person says tn, one says something else, don't know who to believe. Some are known for fact, some we aren't sure about. Why does it have to be a big secret?? I can understand a few reasons why some companies don't, HELLO DELL, since they like to swap in different panels depending on supply, but still it seems like a hassle us consumers shouldn't have to go through, especially with the large sums of $$$ we are putting down for these things. The least they can do is tell us what we are buying without having to do all this research.

They don't disclose it because the average joe blow that walks in to buy an LCD looks at one thing. Price. End of story....

We assume, as [H] regulars and enthusiasts, that the rest of the guys would have a clue, but sadly, they don't.:p

As a techy, this is something I particularly dont want to be bothered with.
I am unhappy with all LCDs as non of them give as good a picture as a CRT and I despair that many problems with the technology have not been sorted yet.
Then as the OP pointed out, the manfacturers/resellers hide details that are important.
Some even change vital parts, hence changing the quality of the display while keeping the same model, this practice should be banned.

Even though I like to know everything about anything, this one I let slip by and just pick up the pertinent facts when I come across them or need them.
Its more of an annoyance than an interest.

I am unhappy with all LCDs as non of them give as good a picture as a CRT and I despair that many problems with the technology have not been sorted yet.
Then as the OP pointed out, the manfacturers/resellers hide details that are important.
Agree, and there's lot more which stinks.
Sure they advertise things like response times which are pretty much too obscure to tell anything real but for example what about input lag?
If display needs to wait time of many frames (like in worst cases) before deciding to output that first frame there's something wrong in design.

Also FED/SED would work similarly to CRT so they should solve most problems of "flats" but where are those technologies?
Instead we just get sh*tloads of ad crap about current really immature technology.

"Advertising is legalized lying."
-H. G. Wells

"If advertisers spent the same amount of money on improving their products as they do on advertising then they wouldn't have to advertise them."
-Will Rogers

I would also like companies to start disclosing panel type/manufacturer in their documentation. They're probably not going to though. But come on, at least they should change the model number when they switch to a completely different panel technology!

I would like to see companies test and disclose input lag. This specification will be mostly meaningless for anything except marketing (similar to how response time is advertised now), but at least monitor reviews will be more inclined to test input lag.

I would also like companies to start disclosing panel type/manufacturer in their documentation. They're probably not going to though. But come on, at least they should change the model number when they switch to a completely different panel technology!

I would like to see companies test and disclose input lag. This specification will be mostly meaningless for anything except marketing (similar to how response time is advertised now), but at least monitor reviews will be more inclined to test input lag.

They should, but I have not seen that in any of the reviews I have read lately. They should tell you what adjustments are available and what they actually do; if anything. How about disclosing which chip or chip set is inside the display. This matters in both TVs and computer monitors. Dell has refused to disclose what scalar is in the 3008WFP even when asked by the people that did the ExtreamHW review.

The hole markey is pretty shadey, and yah I guess that is a pun.

Dave

As a techy, this is something I particularly dont want to be bothered with.
Then you're no techy! The panel type is so important that it surely belongs in the tech specs. Look at how many other specs are currently listed and yet unimportant to me, using a Dell as an example:

Pixel Pitch: 0.282 mm
Horizontal Scan Frequency kHz: 30 kHz to 83 kHz (automatic)
VESA, 1680 x 1050 – 65.2 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, 146.3 MHz
VESA, 1680 x 1050 – 64.6 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, 119.0 MHz
Dimensions (Height x Width x Depth): 360.24 mm x 511.41 mm x 138.50 mm (14.18” x 20.13” x 5.45”)
AC input voltage: 100 to 240 VAC / 50 or 60 Hz +/- 3 Hz / 2.0A (Max.)

It sure is nice to know the dimensions down to within 10 microns.

A couple of days ago I went out to buy the best 22" LCD out in the market. Even though I knew that the one I wanted was a TN panel, I looked at the display of each monitor at Best buy and compared the strengths and weaknesses of the lot I was interested. Then I went to this 24" monitor that was gutted between an array of 22", which surprisingly had better black levels, no back lighting and vibrant colors. I found out that it was an Acer x241 that was slashed from 560$ to just 292 and I ended up buying it. Later on I did a couple of tests and found out that this panel was indeed an S-PVA which Best buy was selling on clearance to make way for the new series.
So just by comparing and looking and with a lot of luck I managed to pick a brilliant display in only 294$. And considering this is my 3rd display therefore I can very well distinguish the difference from my previous TN panels.

this panel was indeed an S-PVA which Best buy was selling on clearance to make way for the new series.

Had to get rid of the S-IPS's to make way for the S-PVA's, and now its time to ditch the S-PVA's for the TN's. We are approaching image-quality hell! The end is near!

I really do wish they'd list the panel type. Its just getting more and more misleading with TN's being listed at 16.7m colors and 3000:1 contrast ratios now.

Then you're no techy! The panel type is so important that it surely belongs in the tech specs. Look at how many other specs are currently listed and yet unimportant to me, using a Dell as an example:

Pixel Pitch: 0.282 mm
Horizontal Scan Frequency kHz: 30 kHz to 83 kHz (automatic)
VESA, 1680 x 1050 – 65.2 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, 146.3 MHz
VESA, 1680 x 1050 – 64.6 kHz Horizontal, 60.0 Hz Vertical, 119.0 MHz
Dimensions (Height x Width x Depth): 360.24 mm x 511.41 mm x 138.50 mm (14.18” x 20.13” x 5.45”)
AC input voltage: 100 to 240 VAC / 50 or 60 Hz +/- 3 Hz / 2.0A (Max.)

Hmm, I think you've misunderstood him. What he is saying is that he doesn't want to have to waste time with this guessing game and would instead prefer to have manufacturers accurately say what types of panels they're using. Imagine if you had to do this with the video card industry!

On the opposite, while response time specs are meaningless because of obscure definitions and measuring methods input lag is something very precise, delay between receiving of image from graphic card and showing it on screen, and there aren't ways to mislead in that except by direct lying.

They want to be sure you know exactly that display fits on to your desk...
Also that AC input spec is rather funny, tolerance is +/- 3Hz, then it accepts either 50 or 60Hz. :rolleyes:
(and as SMPS it probably accepts also much higher frequency)

...which surprisingly had better black levels, no back lighting and vibrant colors. I found out that it was an Acer x241...
Later on I did a couple of tests and found out that this panel was indeed an S-PVA which Best buy was selling on clearance to make way for the new series.
Probably to be replaced by TN panel display...
(at least there's P241Wd which has TN panel)

I guess only way to get makers to tell truth would be pointing them with "business end" of firearm.

I bet those ambulance chaser (lawyers) have already tried to find a case for suing, but failed to find any grounds for doing so.

On the opposite, while response time specs are meaningless because of obscure definitions and measuring methods input lag is something very precise, delay between receiving of image from graphic card and showing it on screen, and there aren't ways to mislead in that except by direct lying.

I'm sure marketing departments will find a way to spin those numbers. However, I don't care so much about the numbers that the manufacturer or company claims. My main concern is about manufacturer and consumer awareness regarding input lag. It'll be relevent to some people such as hardcore FPS games.

Back