ArmA: Armed Assault - Absolutely Amazing!

default is when you hold (not click) the right mouse button, it'll zoom in a bit and steady the cursor. If you hold it too long the cursor will get a little extra jumpy as though you are out of breath.

I've been learning how to use the editor more lately and also scripting. its a really powerful editor. At first I thought arma was just a realistic army versus army, attack each other and kill them all. But with how flexible the editor is you can pretty much design any scenario that could happen in real life and its extremely easy to implement. I'm actually designing some stealthy cooperative missions inspired by splinter cell for 2 - 4 players to go through. some random pics I've taken lately.

arma-sunset.jpg

arma-attack.jpg

arma-moto2.jpg

arma_dsf.jpg

I agree; the editor is really awesome.
I’m a bit of a dummy when it comes to scripts but I’m sure I could pick it up. I have spent the last 2 days taking a break from the campaign to play with the editor and I really had some fun.
I set up a night time mission involving my forces (30 – 50 men) holding at a town with a Huge (200-260 man) OPFOR trying to take the city. It’s Very unrealistic but also really, really fun.

I then turned the tables and started way out in the boons from the city and set it so that a convoy of armor and HMMV’s on a course towards the city, as the pockets of bad guys got thicker and thicker the closer I got. That also turned out to be a lot of fun. I started to build a Splinter Cell style mission last night, where I needed to sneak past a large amount of guards, only taking out the guys I can safely get past. The goal is to bomb a target at the end that I haven’t finished yet and then to escape to the landing zone.

The Editor is really powerful, I just wish the AI were a bit smarter, since you more or less have to tell them to do everything. I still haven’t figured out how to make a person Patrol an area. Creating waypoints is a bit annoying also, I can’t seem to get armor to stay in formation, as soon as they come across a target they get all bunched up or lost and then things fall apart.

Still I am really enjoying the game, still a bit annoyed it wasn’t coded a bit better, but overall awesome game!

The Editor is really powerful, I just wish the AI were a bit smarter, since you more or less have to tell them to do everything. I still haven’t figured out how to make a person Patrol an area. Creating waypoints is a bit annoying also, I can’t seem to get armor to stay in formation, as soon as they come across a target they get all bunched up or lost and then things fall apart.

To get armor to stay in formation simply assign each armor unit a different rank...higher the rank determines who's first in formation and next highest = next tank etc. then select appropriate formation and safe mode to have them driving casually (turned out).

I really like this game, though It takes a few tries to get through the missions (At least for me). Seems to play fine on my computer.

While it's hardly playing well on my computer, it's okay enough that I can deal with the odd shutter or delay in texture loading.

I really am getting into the Multiplayer with this game!

Bump for the 1.08 patch that went out the other day!

I absolutely love the patch. Performance was increased pretty solidly, and they changed some of the missions for the better. They also added a little 'armory' mode that's a sort of sandbox with random mini-objectives and unlockables. And the way helicopters fly has been changed for the better.. something about changing their pivot point to their center of gravity?

The only bad thing I've noticed is that there's some sort of lighting bug when piloting the A-10 (and maybe other aircraft/vehicles?) in the cockpit view.. it makes it completely impossible to see out some of the windows, depending on how you are in relation to the sun.

This means the US and international versions are matching now, right? No more 1.06 vs 1.05 to worry about..

I played this game, I thought it was absolutely horrible (the demo) the speech was all cut together from different speakers, and everything just seemed bad.

HOWEVER... it seems VERY familiar... I think this game is nothing more than a graphically beefed version of Operation Flashpoint (which was a fantastic game).

HOWEVER... it seems VERY familiar... I think this game is nothing more than a graphically beefed version of Operation Flashpoint (which was a fantastic game).

That's pretty much what it is.

That's pretty much what it is.

After reading through the thread, it seems I was right on target with the OFP similarities.

I love that game very much, I still have my copy actually. I will probably pick the game up just based on my love of OFP... I just hope it isn't as unprofessional and cheesy as the demo I had tried... it looked like an alpha of a first time mod team.

the patch is good. many misc bug fixes i found that weren't even listed too. better performance as well.

If you have Atari's download version, you better check for the patch on Atari's website. For the DVD version, links above work great.

By the way, is anyone running this game on Vista 32bit smoothly? Works great for me in XP, but in Vista I get an annoying stutter every few seconds.

Love this game, so immersing. The patch 1.08 made it even better. The demo does not do the game justice at all, it is well worth $39.

THANK YOU JEBEZ!

I love this game but the shuttering at times drove me crazy!
I have 8800GTX in SLI and I had most of my settings on Normal and a few on high. I can't wait to get home!

If you have Atari's download version, you better check for the patch on Atari's website. For the DVD version, links above work great.

By the way, is anyone running this game on Vista 32bit smoothly? Works great for me in XP, but in Vista I get an annoying stutter every few seconds.

Love this game, so immersing. The patch 1.08 made it even better. The demo does not do the game justice at all, it is well worth $39.

get the same thing with my 8800gtx, in XP it runs great but stutters in Vista

well that was fun, about 20 fps, essentially unplayable. i tried low settings, turned vsync off, nada. latest patch too. :rolleyes:

Runs great for me w/ medium & normal (just without AA/AF) at 1280x1024! :confused: But that's on XP. I remember when I tried it on Vista, it ran shittier.

well that was fun, about 20 fps, essentially unplayable. i tried low settings, turned vsync off, nada. latest patch too. :rolleyes:

At what setting and resolution?

I play at 1680x1050, with textures at high or very high, AA set to low. Posprocessing set to low - this one is a killer, and shaders set to normal - another killer. Shadows at very high, AF at very high. More than playable.

Don't expect this game to run at crazy rates, if you get 30fps, this is more than enough as the play is not quake style quick.

Come check out Shadow Company Elite server, we are testing newly made team deathmatch maps, and assault and defend maps - similar to BF2 style play. Other time we run coop maps, like Evolution or [re]volution.

1680x1050
well i set everything to low, got about 40. it still felt really jerky. when i turn around quickly the FPS drop to about 10 fps.

Probably vista then somehow.. :(

Running it in XP, I can basically stick it on 16x12 all v.high/high and it'll be playable.

Before the Patch I was suffering in this game.
1KM view, lowest settings, lower Res.

Now after the 1.08 patch I am running awesome with no slow downs ever and I think I can go higher.. but I'm happy.

3.5KM view distance
Very High AF
High AA
High Terain Detail
High Post Processing
Very High everything else
1680x1050 Res

The game is far more enjoyable now.

I have been playing a lot of R[e]valution online.
Do a few water patrols and then once your a Colonel it's party time.

3 or 4 regulars and I were taking A-10's and Cobras and clearing citys the fast way!
Bombing the shit out of everything!

Great fun!

Anyone else wish the Bots were smarter?

I think everyone does. Something so fundamental I'm afraid likely won't be fixed with a patch or a mod.

We'll see though, I like to think some of the mods that are striving for realism may address some of the behaviors, if that's even possible.

The modding tools will be coming out over the next few weeks - the first tool was released today. This game will only continue to get better and better with time.

anyone else running this game on vista v64? I cant belive how shitty it runs on me setup. :(

Steam is now publishing the game! $30 and SecuROM-free for the Steam version. But the thing that sucks is you can't install beta patches unless you had the CD retail version, while my server runs it.

I forgot how much fun this game could be, just wish I hadn't stopped playing it and forgot everything I learned.

I'm getting back into it now and have to say, I really like the way it's going!

Playing with the editor is fun.
I set up a really nice senario last night.
Had a city filled with Opfor guys and I set my team up on a hill over looking the town. I was up on the hill as a Sniper with 3 other snipers and an AT or two for protection from the Armor I was giving to the Opfor team.
My team started to move down the hill and stormed the town, the gun fire broke out in large numbers and my snipers went to work picking off random targets. Then the Armor moved in and smoked about 20 of my guys in under 3 min. But the Armor made the mistake of getting too close to the hill and my AT guys laid waste to all 3 armor. 20 or so mins later my team had won and taken the town.

Back