Artifacts! They're everywhere!

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a 9800xt and about a month ago I managed to rip the power cable off the fan on the default heatsink, and couldn't repair it. So I took out my Zalman heatpipe cooler and attached it without incident. At my home it worked fine, no artifacts or anything. So I brought my computer to school (in tennessee) and it started having problems. I started seeing artifacts on my boot screen for windows (it's modified to say something else), but none in windows. Occasionally, when playing CS:S i would see a random line. But recently it's gotten worse...there are entire artifact "walls" when I play and many other random artifacts. I also get them in windows; when my mouse turns to a cursor there is a virtical line just to the right of it.

Overdrive (which isn't enabled) says my vid card is 58c which seems a little higher than normal. I have all the vid card 3D settings to optomized and it's not overclocked.

When I fire up ATITool this is what it looks like:

wtf9800xt.jpg

Help?

Maybe the heatpipe cooler slightly shifted when you were moving your computer. Try reseating it?

theres no artifacting dude unless u mean that graphic...whatever that is??

o nm had to lean in

thats nothing compared to my 9800 pro artifacting i had...so i just bought a 6800 gt and sold the 9800 for 125$$

powerade said:
theres no artifacting dude unless u mean that graphic...whatever that is??
yes there are, it has squares of vertical lines that aren't supposed to be there. :(

Do you have active cooling (a fan) attached to the zalman? Is the temperature of the environment at your school significantly hotter than the computer's previous location? Have you checked to see if the zalman is still installed/seated correctly?

thevampirelord66 said:
i think you definitly need to get a fan on that zalman before anything, thats what i did.

I have a fan on it. It's the default 80mm slim fan. I just took off the zalman and reseeted the zalman and looked over the card to make sure there wasn't any thermal paste screwing anything up. Didn't see anything but I carefully put the zalman back on.

I have a small (but high powered) air fan a little smaller than my case and I have it on high blowing right into it...and my card temps are down to 51c, which seems normal.

I'm on a different OS now to make sure it's not software, but so far everything seems the same....

wtf?

Will ATI take back this card? I haven't overclocked it or anything. Will they take it back if I can find a stock cooler for the card?

Thanks people!

dont tell them you took off the stock cooler. sure i dont see why not

Hey, look on the brightside, you're getting higher framerate than on my x800 in atitool. hah Sorry.. couldn't resist.

bboynitrous said:
Hey, look on the brightside, you're getting higher framerate than on my x800 in atitool. hah Sorry.. couldn't resist.

haha well that's good to know...

but really. this is rediculous. what the hell..

anyone have a stock 9800xt cooler i can buy?

actually i do, its a asus 9800xt. i took off the stock cooler, slapped on a zalman heatsink. sold the 9800xt but didnt give them the original cooler.
14-121-500-05.JPG

Boozer said:
actually i do, its a asus 9800xt. i took off the stock cooler, slapped on a zalman heatsink. sold the 9800xt but didnt give them the original cooler.
14-121-500-05.JPG

Well mine didn't look much like that, but what the hell I'll buy it from you. I've got non-cc paypal ready name your price (as long as it's reasonable...)

Back