As apache compiles....

millhouse

Limp Gawd
*sigh* I am going to make a new sopa opera called "As Apache Compiles..."

So damn boring. Anywho, off to watch the paint dry!

I guess that's how the cookie crumbles. Slowly.

It sounds like Gentoo is not for you. :p

You know you can still use your computer while you are compiling something. Though I guess you know that already since you posted here. :D Nevermind.

puck said:
Compile OpenOffice if you want some real fun.

*shudders*.
I always get that sinking "I might as well paint the house ... twice" feeling when I see what ports has to say about it.
"NOTICE:
To build OpenOffice.org, you should have a lot
of free diskspace (~ 4GB)."

For the time being I think I'll stick with binaries for Oo_O 2-devel. It has the same notice, but with 8.5 GB instead.

puck said:

Or complete KDE (Good times). Apache is a lightweight compared to these two; my system compiles Apache 2 in about 10 minutes, takes 8 - 10 hours to complete Oo_O and KDE.

Then I just switched to binaries. :p

Tomahawk said:
I only thought I wanted a java plugin.

Ooh. Famous last words, and all that.
(Sun's policy on downloads and redistribution should be taken out and shot.)

HHunt said:
Ooh. Famous last words, and all that.
(Sun's policy on downloads and redistribution should be taken out and shot.)

Actually, I do have java/jdk14 installed. Its just I had to endure installing all that "other stuff" first. ;)

this is wot overnight is for

IF this is Gentoo and there is a load of packages I dont bother unless a few (and not bigies)

IF a Xorg,GNOME (version bump and all its little packages),OO appears in the list I just kick off the emerge/compile overnight

BillLeeLee said:
Or complete KDE (Good times). Apache is a lightweight compared to these two; my system compiles Apache 2 in about 10 minutes, takes 8 - 10 hours to complete Oo_O and KDE.

Then I just switched to binaries. :p

Ugh...Please dont get me started.

Apache shouldn't take more than a couple minutes on a decent machine.

Now for something to kill time, try doing a FreeBSD world build. Although, the last one I did was well under an hour.

no kidding on the couple of minutes thing. i built about a beelion different versions of the blasted httpd rpm today. ... stupid rpms ... *pounds head on wall* :D

JTY said:

Now for something to kill time, try doing a FreeBSD world build. Although, the last one I did was well under an hour.

Yeah, make buildworld takes suprisingly short time on a recent machine.
(The 433 MHz Alpha is more of an overnighter.)

puck said:

OMG yeah, no kidding. And distributed compiling is disabled for that package as well. My 400mhz pentium II lappy took 40 hours to compile it, since it couldn't get the usual help that my Dual PIII 800's provide. I hate distcc-disabled packages.

JTY said:

hm, I did an x64 buildworld (-j6) on a dual opteron 246 and it was 21 minuteish. Not too bad :) Just abouth enough time to watch a show on tivo while skipping the commercials ;)

The BIG BIG BIG help for compiling world are:
1) Got a ton of ram? Make an mfs. Put your source tree on there.
try this:
2) "time make buildworld" vs 3) time -j3 make buildworld

with the j3 in there it should be MUCH faster. My rule of thumb is 3*numprocs for the number to go next to J.

Rob

LazyBastard said:
Try a bootstrap compile of GCC.

Yeah that's a pain too. But at least I can distribute-compile with that, so my 400mhz pentium II doesn't have to do it alone.

Robstar said:
hm, I did an x64 buildworld (-j6) on a dual opteron 246 and it was 21 minuteish. Not too bad :) Just abouth enough time to watch a show on tivo while skipping the commercials ;)

The BIG BIG BIG help for compiling world are:
1) Got a ton of ram? Make an mfs. Put your source tree on there.
try this:
2) "time make buildworld" vs 3) time -j3 make buildworld

with the j3 in there it should be MUCH faster. My rule of thumb is 3*numprocs for the number to go next to J.

Rob

I've had strange, random breakage with -j on buildworld, but I guess I tried at an unlucky time. (Last attempt was somewhere early in 5-CURRENT, I think.)

Eva_Unit_0 said:
Yeah that's a pain too. But at least I can distribute-compile with that, so my 400mhz pentium II doesn't have to do it alone.
You need to learn how to use "emerge --buildpkgonly", and move it to the other machine!!

HHunt said:
I've had strange, random breakage with -j on buildworld, but I guess I tried at an unlucky time. (Last attempt was somewhere early in 5-CURRENT, I think.)

I've had it break too :) However if it breaks, try again without a j- :)

Rob

Back