AS5 vs. Intel Thermal Paste

Gemini1706

n00b
Can I just use the stock heat sink for my 6420 with the 'stock' thermal paste that comes with the retail processor?

am planning to overclock a little (maybe up to 3GHz) so I am not looking for crazy overclock.

I would rather save the AS5 money if it is not that much needed.

(By Th Way, I remeber in my last system about 4 years ago, I used Arctic Silver also on my Athlon XP+1700, and so just 1 degree C drop in temp comapred to stock thermal paste, so I am not a big believer in AS. At that time it was not AS5, but still AS
And YES, I did apply a thin layer with razor surface+ multiple reseatings + multiple trials etc etc.).

Is it THAT critical?
Am I looking into 5C drop? More?
I never flet it did much anything :(

Yes, I doubt there will be any differences between the stock paste and as5. Im sure their stock paste is decent quality. Dont waste your money.

You might be stretching the limits to what the stock cooler can do going up to 3ghz, but it is probably fine.

Chances are you'll be just fine. Intel stock stuff really isn't that bad.

AS5 may be a tad better, but it's probably not worth it for you. 3ghz isn't insane anyways, and I'm sure you know that.

With the Intel OEM cooler you won't see a difference of 1C swapping the paste in a controlled environment.

All of these people swearing by AS5 usually come to that conclusion because they apply it, their temps drop like a rock but they forget to mention that they also changed the heatsink and fan at the same time.

I switched the paste on my Intel heatsink and didn't gain anything. Not one degree difference so save your money and get a new cooler someday when you want to do some more aggressive overclocking. 3000 MHz will barely warm up a C2D.

the stock stuff should be shin-etsu microsi, and it's pretty good stuff. don't worry aboot it. ;)

Back