ASROCK Z77 Ex4 won't boot with RAM in dual channel

I just got an ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4 to replace my MSI P67 that was having issues and it won't post if I have ram in both dual channel sockets. It will work if the RAM is in socket A1 and A2, but not if it's in A1 B1 or A2 B2.

I've tried 2 sets of RAM (Gskill f3-8500CL7Q-16GBRL and Samsung M378B5273DH0-YK0) and I get the same behavior.

If the ram is in the dual channel sockets it will just give error 55 which means no ram detected. Any ideas?

edit: fixed A-B Refs to match mobo naming scheme.

Last edited:
I've tried with ram in all 4 slots (same model) and gets the same error.

edit: I also mispoke, to get it to POST I need to put the RAM in the slots driectly next to each other. Like this;

[x][x][-][-] (post)
or
[-][-][x][x] (post)

NOT

[x][-][x][-] (no post - error 55)

edit2: reinstalled windows, not getting a bluescreen on win start any more.

Last edited:
I have seen multiple references to this issue on other forums. I checked for bent CPU pins and found none, so I reseated the CPU and tried again and got the same error.

I'll try setting up the XMP settings today on my lunch break and see if that helps, ASrock claims that it can, so I might as well give it a shot.

I think you may have a bad board. I have the same board and have no issues running ram in dual channel. Be sure to update to the latest bios as well, that fixed a few other issues I initially had.

Yep, I will try updating as well before I declare the board a gonner. Super frustrating though, I haven't gotten a board without issues in years, seems like everything is shit right now.

I updated the bios and dropped my ram down to 1333 and it runs. Starting my OC. Strange that it has so many issues with higher speed ram, but whatever, it's stable for now.

I would suggest the board has a problem and should be RMA'ed if the BIOS update hasn't fixed it for you. I just built my sister a PC in the last few days with that exact motherboard and it's worked flawlessly with dual channel DDR3 1600.

I would suggest the board has a problem and should be RMA'ed if the BIOS update hasn't fixed it for you. I just built my sister a PC in the last few days with that exact motherboard and it's worked flawlessly with dual channel DDR3 1600.

Well, the issue is that neither of the sets of RAM I have are exactly the ones specified on their supported RAM list. They're both variants with only 1 letter/number different in the part number, but I'm guessing that might have something to do with it. Since it works, I'm not going to go through the hassle of returning it right now. I've given up on having a motherboard that works flawlessly.

I have ram that is not on that motherboards list, 2X8gb corsair xms3. I used one stick to get into bios then set the timings manually. both work fine now, dual channel too

Back