Asrock Z87 Extreme 11/ac High LSI Heatsink Temps

evaseeker

n00b
Hello

I got the Asrock Z87 Extreme 11/ac and i have yet to overclock or even use the LSI Controller ( even turned it off for now ),

and i have it setup in a NZXT 630 with good air flow and even having a 140Fan in the HDD Bracket blowing at the GPU and the LSI Heatsink. and 2 x 200 at the top, 1 x 140 at the back, 1 x 200 at the front and 2 x 140 at the bottom.

my load is some simple gaming nothing extreme, long Diablo 3 sessions and very short Titanfall sessions ( short as in 5 to 10 Min )

paired with I7 4770k which idle at 34 and peak at 50 with bad seated NZXT Havik 140, i say bad because on my first try it was idling at 31 but cant bother to re do it again.

no idea what is the room temp but it is normally hot.

my MSI 780Ti Gaming idle at 34 and load at 50.

my boards power circuitry Heat sink ( next to the CPU ) idle at also 34 and load at 48.

my problem is with the LSI Controller Heat sink ( the one next to the SAS-SATA ports ), it idle at 60:eek: and load at as high as 77, of course this heatsink does cool both the LSI Controller and the LSI Switcher in addition to the Z87 Chipset.

i know that mostly these temps are OK, but it seems to me as being high, and it is obviously too hot to even touch, anyone got the board who can shed some light on his temps, i asked around in a few review sites and i have yet to hear a reply with others temps.

both the small 40mm fans are operating normally and regulated using asrock Atuning software.

Thanks!

Raid controllers do get hot... However on my server I have a LSi 24 SAS controller and max op temp lookin at the manual says max ambient temp 60c or 55c with upgrade. SSH'd in the box shows raid controller temp of 41C.

Now I'm not sure how accurate the thermal probes are for measuring that controller on your mb. I would be confident enough to say that it's max ambient will be 60c just like mine is. Question is, how accurate is the board reporting it's temp?

How come you aren't using that controller?

Last edited:
Raid controllers do get hot... However on my server I have a LSi 24 SAS controller and max op temp lookin at the manual says max ambient temp 60c or 55c with upgrade. SSH'd in the box shows raid controller temp of 41C.

Now I'm not sure how accurate the thermal probes are for measuring that controller on your mb. I would be confident enough to say that it's max ambient will be 60c just like mine is. Question is, how accurate is the board reporting it's temp?

How come you aren't using that controller?

Thanks for your reply!

i have yet to receive my SSDs they are still on route.

also to be honest :rolleyes: i failed to even boot from it in a a formatted SSD, since i don't have much exp with controller drivers etc, windows couldn't install the drivers for it to install the windows in my old SSD, but i plugged few WD drives just to test if it is working and it is working fine and no difference in Temps with it ON and OFF.

i will be waiting for my new SSDs and Digg up some noob post about installing windows in a raid :p

though one point is, no idea how accurate but as i said it is too hot touch, i mean when i do touch it i cant leave my finger for even one sec, but on a good note, there isn't any burn smell :eek:

Thanks for your reply!

i have yet to receive my SSDs they are still on route.

also to be honest :rolleyes: i failed to even boot from it in a a formatted SSD, since i don't have much exp with controller drivers etc, windows couldn't install the drivers for it to install the windows in my old SSD, but i plugged few WD drives just to test if it is working and it is working fine and no difference in Temps with it ON and OFF.

i will be waiting for my new SSDs and Digg up some noob post about installing windows in a raid :p

though one point is, no idea how accurate but as i said it is too hot touch, i mean when i do touch it i cant leave my finger for even one sec, but on a good note, there isn't any burn smell :eek:

Looks like a badass board none the less. How's the Overclocking on that sucker?

One thing about raid controllers and stuff is setting them up properly. Also using the right type of drives for raid (enterprise level drives). Lsi has a ton of options so be sure you become very familiar with the PDF manual. I was following a guy using a X79 version of this board and even he felt a bit overwhelmed on the controller option and such. Goodluck!

Looks like a badass board none the less. How's the Overclocking on that sucker?

One thing about raid controllers and stuff is setting them up properly. Also using the right type of drives for raid (enterprise level drives). Lsi has a ton of options so be sure you become very familiar with the PDF manual. I was following a guy using a X79 version of this board and even he felt a bit overwhelmed on the controller option and such. Goodluck!

Thanks!

Using the preset and much like almost any review i read, i can go as high as 4.4 only using it.

4.6 and it is not stable after few min on prime95.

though i am also not experienced with overclocking and it is tend to be hot always here so i don't really bother with OCing, i got this board for sheer storage options-thunder stuff and will be using 2 GPUs on slot 1 and 3 for the extra space between them :p

Please let us know how that board is. I been looking at it for a file server board since it's almost a best bang per buck there is.

Please let us know how that board is. I been looking at it for a file server board since it's almost a best bang per buck there is.

well adding to what was said, i really like it, i was afraid with the high price and chance of a dud since i really dont like the hassle of returns:eek: but none the less, it was exactly what i imagined and more.

as Venomous said, the controller does have an enormous amount of options.

i like the Dual bios-Dual Thunder-Dual Lan-Dual Msata:eek:, Hell if i feel brave i am going to test two cheap 256 GB Msata in Raid0 just for the heck of it and use the partition as a 2nd download dumb location.

The only major grip with the board is the bottom LSI Heat sink Fan, it is actually a little noisy:( and if tune it a down i dont feel safe with the already 60c idle temps, but this gave me an idea, to test the real temp of the Heat Sink with an external temp prob, i think i have one from an Aerocool controller under my Bed:eek: will update once i test it.

Though no one felt brave to suggest removing the Heat Sink and re applying thermal paste?? or is it too dangerous :eek: i would love to hear everyone opinion about it ( not including warranty issues :p )

Back