Assigning drive letters in XP

Silent Assasin

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it possible to set drive letters for each media that I plug in? I have many external drives that I often switch between computers. I would like it so that the drive letter is the same every time I plug it into each computer. I'm running XP Pro.

As far as I know, the drive it's self doesn't remember what letter it was called. Each system will have to be told what letter to use for each drive, but then it should remember what it knew the drive as last time it saw it.

The only work around that pops into my head right now is an autorun file with the subst command in it, but thats honestly a bit of an odd solution.

Yeah, I don't think the drive can automatically grab the same letter. If you set the computer to use a certain flash drive as R, it should remember it, but you'd have to manually set it on each PC.

Well, even if I can specify to the computer what drive letter I want this drive to be every time. I basically just want the same drive to be the same letter on the same computer. Then I can set up the other computer the same way. The drive doesn't need to remember which letter it was.

Well, even if I can specify to the computer what drive letter I want this drive to be every time. I basically just want the same drive to be the same letter on the same computer. Then I can set up the other computer the same way. The drive doesn't need to remember which letter it was.

1. Locate the "My Computer" icon, and right-click it with your mouse.
2. Choose "Manage" from the menu that appears.
3. Once the console comes up, locate the part of the tree for disk management.
4. Each drive/partition will be represented and labeled. right-click on a drive and select the appropriate menu item to get to the options to change the drive letters.

Back