Asteroid 2012 TC4 Buzzed Earth on Friday

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Anyone hear a giant whoosh on Friday as an asteroid the size of a house passed by 59k miles above Earth? NASA says that the asteroid posed no threat. But what if it was a threat? The asteroid was only discovered on October 4th.

This one of several large comets that have passed by recently, which include the 2012 LZ1 asteroid that passed by in June.

Ah. TV News fearmongering at its finest.

"It was not a threat. BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN..."

If we don't end up killing ourselves first we NEED to get space travel down QUICK.

People don't seem to realize how dangerous being anchored to this planet really is. Besides more obvious global destruction events like a new ice age, nuclear weapons, etc people tend to forget about things that we can't prepare for like asteroids, solar flares, or super volcanic eruptions that can just as easily destroy everything and everyone.

Without space travel, space exploration, and being able to get off this planet we'd have no where to retreat were something uncontrollable going to massively alter this planet. I just think of how fast and how efficiently space could be properly used were everyone to stop paying for useless things and focus on this instead.

$100 billion dollars a year on the military? Imagine if NASA got that instead for the past decade.

We'd have bases on the moon, possibly a space elevator or very close to it, and possibly could even be on Mars. It would be amazing! Wishful thinking always is though!

Clearly we should cut even more budget to NASA. Wasteful spending. That way when we get hit by an asteroid we won't even have known it was coming at all!

It has to be at least 150+ feet after its passed through our atmosphere to truly pose a threat. If it impacted near a city it would be bad but if it air bursted over a city it would devastate it completely for miles on out.

Its good to know NASA is at least aware of the smaller Asteroids like ones the size of a house.

If we don't end up killing ourselves first we NEED to get space travel down QUICK.

People don't seem to realize how dangerous being anchored to this planet really is. Besides more obvious global destruction events like a new ice age, nuclear weapons, etc people tend to forget about things that we can't prepare for like asteroids, solar flares, or sup er volcanic eruptions that can just as easily destroy everything and everyone.

Without space travel, space exploration, and being able to get off this planet we'd have no where to retreat were something uncontrollable going to massively alter this planet. I just think of how fast and how efficiently space could be properly used were everyone to stop paying for useless things and focus on this instead.

Im with you on the solar flares and being prepared but i think you need to relax. Im sorry, but life comes and goes in a cyle here on earth and im certain humans will still be stuck here when the next ice age arrives. No need to worry though me and you will be fine. We can focus on space travel but honestly do you care about someone living 1000 years or more from now. I know i don't, even if they are related to me. Do my ancestors from 1000 years ago care about me? Id guess not.

Im with you on the solar flares and being prepared but i think you need to relax. Im sorry, but life comes and goes in a cyle here on earth and im certain humans will still be stuck here when the next ice age arrives. No need to worry though me and you will be fine. We can focus on space travel but honestly do you care about someone living 1000 years or more from now. I know i don't, even if they are related to me. Do my ancestors from 1000 years ago care about me? Id guess not.

Of course I care about people of the future...why wouldn't I? How selfish do you have to be to think that way? What the hell is wrong with you?!:eek:

Are you part of the government? Sure sounds like it...

Of course I care about people of the future...why wouldn't I? How selfish do you have to be to think that way? What the hell is wrong with you?!:eek:

Are you part of the government? Sure sounds like it...

I have enough to worry about. Im sorry, im not to terribly worried about people that live 1000 years after me. I think about people that have lived and will live and hope they are happy but maybe you need more problems in your life. Maybe you can be of some use to the ones around you (now) instead of sitting and speculating in the internet. Im not a fan of government.

Dont bother calling me for the same, i rarely get on the internet, my post count proves it.

Once again, the scumbags in Congress ... you know who you are.... are trying to get us all killed. :eek:

Oct 4th.... Hey what's that?

Oct 12th..... Phew that was close.

Instead of putting up a radar system to monitor all activity of a threatening size within the orbit of Mars, and developing the tools needed to respond to and neutralize any threat.... Hey lets go blow up Iraq for a cool $2 Trillion. :rolleyes::mad:

Ever hear of the fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper? People, it is time to kill the Grasshoppers.... before they get us all killed. :p:cool:

To put it in perspective. Felix Baumbartner was 24miles from the surface of Earth :D

Back