Asus 1000HE Memory speed issue

joudbren

n00b
Is Asus pulling a fast one here? I've tried 4 different sticks of ram in this thing and all of them including the original 1GB stick provided by Asus are showing 533mhz /CL4 on bootup in the bios screen. My understanding was that the 1000HE is supposed to have a 667mhz FSB and the ram provided by Asus is also clearly marked as a 667mhz stick and should be booting up at 667mhz /CL5. I have also updated to the new 0605 bios, no change.

Memtest86+ ver 2.11 is also showing the ram running at the slower speed. I've tried everything that I can think of and I cannot get this ram to clock up faster and I cannot see any other bios settings to do this either. I thought maybe faster 800mhz ram would do the trick and then clock down automatically to 667 but no go. Bios boot still shows 533mhz /CL4 for the ram.

Have any of you 1000HE folks seen this? I'm curious if you could disable your quiet boot in the bios to get rid of the Asus splash screen on startup and let me know what speed is showing up for your ram in the boot info. Much appreciated and cheers!

P.S. Also tried CPU-Z and it shows the correct fsb of 166mhz for the CPU but it won't display the clock frequency for the ram. I'm pretty much thinking the ram is running in an async mode and is running slower than the FSB.

P.S.S. I've brought this up on a couple of other Asus boards and a couple of people have confirmed also that their ram is booting at the slow speed. Really interested to see if everyone else is having the same issue.

James

I wonder if the quick boot utility from the bios could be causing an issue. Have you tried going into the bios and checking what it says the memory is in there?

Ok, I've done a lot more digging on this ram thing and it seems NOBODY is getting 667mhz on their ram with the 1000HE. If you disable the Asus splash screen in the bios (quiet boot = disabled) then the bios boot info clearly shows the ram booting as DDRII 533/CL4 instead of the expected DDRII 667/CL5.

I've tested several sticks of ram now including the original and including an 800mhz stick and ALL of them boot at 533mhz. You can check out my thread on the 1000HE forum at Asus and pretty much everyone is confirming the same thing.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...20&model=Eee+PC+1000HE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

It's become clear from the vague Asus literature/specifications that they have never actually confirmed the speed of the ram, only the fast 667 FSB speed for the CPU but EVERY review I've read so far seems to think the ram is also at 667mhz but nobody has confirmed that. Every review just assumes the ram is matching the CPU bus speed and Asus seems quite content to let everyone keep assuming that.

I have tested the memory with both CPUZ and Memtest86+ ver. 2.11 and both show the correct FSB of 667mhz for the CPU and both show the slower timing for the ram.

I'm still curious as to what others are seeing on their HE's when you disable the splash screen and hopefully someone can still shed some light on this? Something I'm missing (hopefully)? Cheers!

James

The 1000HE does scale the ram speed based on performance mode, in power saving mode it clocks the processor and ram down quite a bit. Um some screen shots..

3354808597_ef3bc78bae_o.jpg

3354808585_2e3f735fba_o.jpg

I'm well aware that the performance/energy saving modes are changing the FSB. It's changing it for the CPU, not the memory. The system is booting the ram at 533mhz at CL4 and CPUZ clearly shows the ram staying at CL4 regardless of the speed mode selected on the 1000HE.

Again, CPUZ CLEARLY shows the ram at CL4 REGARDLESS of the bus speed selected on the 1000HE. As CL4 is unsupported at 667mhz (has to be CL5) and CPUZ is showing CL4 in any mode, it's quite obvious the ram speed is NOT changing with the bus speed and is in fact running asynchronously at 533mhz as indicated by the bios at boot time. Thanks.

J.

Y'know, it probably doesn't make a lick of difference performance-wise unless you're really pushing your netbook and doing something with it that it wasn't intended for. :p

I'm not telling ya it's wholly irrelevant, as I've even done lightweight video encoding on my Acer Aspire One; such as breaking a TiVo file's DRM then re-encoding the MPEG2 files to H.264 for my iPod before a flight (while on vacation & away from my main PC)... But for daily usage the RAM's speed is probably not noticeable at 667 vs 533 and whatever timings.

Back