Asus 1101HA vs. Asus 1201N

runev

n00b
I'm looking to buy a new netbook, since I'm tired of bringing either my 15" Asus G50Vt or 15" HP DV5000 along to school as they're both quite heavy to drag around. I'm not willing to go below 11" or a 1366x768 supported resolution.

I won't be watching much videos on that as I've got a home theater at my disposal for such, but it would be nice to watch 720p videos every now and then. Does the 1101HA handle this well? Primarily I'll use this netbook at school, but that doesn't mean just writing stuff in Word. I usually work with either Eclipse or XNA, and I fear that some of my courses over the summer might require some OpenGL programming in XNA. In addition I also work with several tabs open in either Chrome or Firefox. Other stuff such as Spotify, MSN Messenger and Outlook is also always open. In other words I usually have a lot of applications open at once, some of which are quite demanding.

I've been looking at the 1101HA for a few days, until i noticed that the 1201N can be ordered from Amazon. This got me thinking.

I can get the Asus 1101HA for USD $613 (EUR 423) tomorrow if I want, and I'd probably have to wait for months for the Asus 1201N, and even then I might have to order it from half-way around the globe. Think its about USD $500 from Amazon for U.S. residents only at the moment. I'm just wondering if its worth the wait? And even if the 1201N gets released in Norway any time soon, I have no idea what price range it'll fall under.

Any rumors going around about release dates for the 1201N in Europe? I'm willing to wait a few weeks, maybe a month. More than that and the whole idea of getting a netbook is gone, as I'll almost be done with my masters.

If you put yourself in my shoes, which one would you go for?

NONE of the netbooks out there really do video well...
Typically, the chipsets used are not video oriented, as the screens are small.
FYI: the Z series Atoms are slow - the 1101HA is slower than my 1005HA. (1.33ghz vs 1.6) and it shows.

Of the two choices, the 1201N will do the video much better, but expect to pay thru the nose, as there seems to be a premium on ION based graphics (claims are the Ion graphics are better than the intel 4500MHD chipsets - which can handle 720p fine)

The dual core Atom is nice... I bet it will perform well, at a cost of battery life

IF you can wait and afford it go with the 1201N

ASuS supposedly has the best reliability of the netbooks.

I love my 1005HA

What about the Inspiron 11z?

Pentium 1300 (dual core), $480 on Amazon w/4gb ddr2.

What about the Inspiron 11z?

As far as i can see it only supports 802.11a/b/g, atleast according to Dell.com, and I'd like to avoid having to downgrade my wireless at home just to support one g product. Other than that it seems like a pretty sweet deal, especially considering my great experiences with Dell customer service.

Do NOT get the 1101, it has the Z530 Atom cpu along with the GMA 500 videocard, terrible performance when those are pair together. I have an inspiron mini 12 with the Z520 (1.33ghz vs 1.6ghz Z530) and the performance is just terrible even browsing the internet.

Go with the 1201 if you have to choose between the 2 of the laptops you mentioned.

i just picked up the 1201n

it is a really nice gaming netbook!!
i can now play cod4,l4d,fallout3 at 1366*768

and re5 at 720p ( it doesn't support 768

and it can upgrade to 8gb max.. ( i have added to 4gb memory)
it run everything i throw at it pretty quick.
and can be overclock to 2ghz ( have to choose memory careful in here)

Okay.

I'm getting the 1201N. However Asus hasn't announced a release date in Norway yet. It is however available at Amazon both in the US and the UK, though they don't ship the 1201N abroad due to restrictions from Asus. So I'm probably going to pay by credit card and have it shipped to a friend in the UK, and have him ship it to me in Norway.

Can't be arsed to wait for Asus to announce a release date for Norway, as it can take everything from a few week to several months.

and I'd probably have to wait for months for the Asus 1201N, and even then I might have to order it from half-way around the globe. Think its about USD $500 from Amazon for U.S. residents only at the moment.

I just ordered one from Amazon about an hour ago. $484 total. no tax & free shipping.

Just got my 1201N from Amazon. Woot! It's still going through the initial setup process right now. Came with Win7 Home Premium on it.

eidt: I didn't realize Atom processor were hyper threaded until I opened up my task manager and saw it had "4" processors!

Last edited:
I just got a ASUS 1101ha.

The battery life is absolutely amazing. I get 9 hours with WIFI on and surfing. If I turn off everything I get a good 11 hours.

You can't watch HD videos on youtube if your running Windows XP but I heard you can if you install Windows 7, it will work flawlessly without a hitch.

Back