Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe & OCZ 520W PSU

starfury6

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have this board running with dual 6800 Ultras and an OCZ 520W Powerstream PSU running okay at default speeds? I have that setup and I am getting major artifacts in 3d apps I can only put down to power since I have had no stability problems and I believe I have adequate cooling.

I'd like to know how you have connected the board, drives and cards up with which cables from the PSU. That would at least help me track down my problem if it's not psu related. At the moment I can't even get through 3dmark05 and the 1003 bios doesn't appear to be on the FTP anylonger (which makes me think I wont use it even if I find it, it must have been yanked for a reason).

Thanks

I don't have that PSU, but did you connect the extra power connector that is supposed to feed extra juice to the PCI-e slots in order to power SLI setups?

I did indeed, the EZ-Plug you mean.

Curently I have:

PCI-e connection to card 1
2 shielded Molex leads to PCI-e adapter to card 2
SATA wire has only 1 SATA device connected
Molex wire connecting 3 fans, 2 optical drives and floppy
Molex wire connected to EZ-Plug

For all I know this might be a bios issue since I'm using 1002 but the others lose the Maxtor SATA drives.... 1002 was setting my HTT to 4X when on auto so I upped that to 5X manually. Can THAT cause problems? Overclock something else that it shouldn't?

I was running 1.003 until the other day, now I'm running 1.004-1 beta. Your HT should be 5x unless you're wickedly overclocking your FSB.

Hmmm, none of that should be a problem with regards to your video cards. Artifacts are often RAM related. I have heard of people running dual Ultra's having problems with cooling, but I'm running 6600GT's so I can't help there. Have you tried underclocking the videocards just to eliminate that from the loop?

Hmmm...at least we can keep this bumped while we mull it over.

By the way, the 1.003 BIOS is available via the web, click here to download it.

I might give the 1003 a go tonight and make sure I have a disc with 1002 on just in case. Thanks for the link.

I thought it might be heat so I left the control panel open in the background, at idle I have 42C card 2 43C card 1 and under load they were 63C and 62C something like that. Way within the limits.

My processor goes up into the 50's under load and about 43 idle.

Heat doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll take some DMM readings tonight to check what the PSU is actually putting out just in case, but these PSU's are supposed to be pretty rock solid.

The SPD for my memory is pretty slack and I have it running manual settings at the recommended stats (from the Corsair PDF sheet) so I know I'm not overdoing it.

I'm hoping the newer BIOS helps. FWIW, so far I've had NO problems with the 1.004-1 beta, either.

There's an excellent FAQ for this board over at Harware Analysis in their Motherboard forum (another long read) but someone in there had a report back from asus saiying that a new bios is coming soon which fixes SATA boot problems amongst other things. Can't be long until the next one, although it may be worth my while to try 1004.001 beta....

I'll let you know!

*large bang is heard from the UK where sf6's PC explodes* :D

Bios 1003 has solved the problems. I just hope it doesn't drop the Maxtor SATA after a few reboots like it has other peoples.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=595558

Thats more like it 9353 in 3dmark05
biggrin.gif

The loading screen for 3dmark still got 'wobbly' when it reached the 2 cpu tests but there was not one iota of texture tearing or artifacting and the temps were fine under the load:

57C CPU
42C Chipset
52C Card 1
42C Card 2

Funny this wobbling effect, definitely CPU related, it happened during the cpu tests on 3dark03 too. Maybe the core voltage is running low or something. Everything else is rock solid.

Try taking your v-core up just a knotch, i was getting anomlies that i attribute to the on core memory controller that were resolved by the slight boost in v-core. Teh board does not appear to accurately furnish the1.5 to my chip. I had to set it to 1.5125 to get 1.5 true.

You board may be doing the same. you may want to experiment.

Back