Asus A8N SLI Power Supply Issues?

dynamiks

Weaksauce
I just recently ordered my A8N on Thursday night and it should most likely be here by this Monday or Tuesday. Now I ordered this board before reading about the issues people seem to be having with Dual 12v Rail PSU's. Now I am worried because I have a Coolermaster Real Power 450W PSU and it has dual 12v rails. I am worried that this PSU won't run the new mobo stable, and that I'm gonna have to go and shell out more money on a new PSU after I just finish buying this one about a month ago. And I also spent a pretty long time sleeving the thing also.

Can you guys with A8N SLI's please post your setups, especially which PSU you are using. I want to see if anyone with dual 12v rail PSU's isn't having any stability problems.

dynamiks said:
I just recently ordered my A8N on Thursday night and it should most likely be here by this Monday or Tuesday. Now I ordered this board before reading about the issues people seem to be having with Dual 12v Rail PSU's. Now I am worried because I have a Coolermaster Real Power 450W PSU and it has dual 12v rails. I am worried that this PSU won't run the new mobo stable, and that I'm gonna have to go and shell out more money on a new PSU after I just finish buying this one about a month ago. And I also spent a pretty long time sleeving the thing also.

Can you guys with A8N SLI's please post your setups, especially which PSU you are using. I want to see if anyone with dual 12v rail PSU's isn't having any stability problems.

I didn't have a dual rail PSU, but I started with a 20 pin PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe, and had a lot of stability issues initially, lost most of them but still had an occasional lockup right after the Windows splash screen when I redid my wire management so that the video cards (Using 2x 6800 GT's) had their own molex plugs and didn't share anything.

Switched to a 24 pin PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI, which has two six pin PCI-E video card plugs and a 24 pin motherboard connector, and all is well. In both cases, I plugged in a four pin molex to the "EZ plug" on the motherboard near the primary video card.

Seen people using the 520 and 600 watt OCZ's having no problems overall...seems like it's a) Single 12 volt rail around 30 or more amps and b) Roughly 500 watts and 24 pin PSU that is doing the trick generally.

Well what do you think the chances are for this board to work properlly with my Coolermaster Real Power 450? Cause I really dont have the cash to spend on a 500+W PSU right now, they are all really expensive. Plus I still haven't even gotten my video cards yet :(

CM Real Power 450
Output: +3.3V@20A, +5V@25A, +12V1@12A, +12V2@10A, [email protected], [email protected]

If you are planning on running anything more than 6600GT's in SLI, then I think it's safe to say you can forget about it working with this PSU. I am running a NeoPower, which is a dual rail, with one 6800GT and my 12V rail is already pretty much constantly at the lower limit. I previously had it running with 2 6600GT's in SLI which it handled much better. Looks like when I get my second 6800GT, I will have to add a new PSU as well :mad: I bought the system mid-December before the problems with dual rail PSU's had been discovered, otherwise I definitely would have gotten a single-rail model.

anr11 said:
If you are planning on running anything more than 6600GT's in SLI, then I think it's safe to say you can forget about it working with this PSU. I am running a NeoPower, which is a dual rail, with one 6800GT and my 12V rail is already pretty much constantly at the lower limit. I previously had it running with 2 6600GT's in SLI which it handled much better. Looks like when I get my second 6800GT, I will have to add a new PSU as well :mad: I bought the system mid-December before the problems with dual rail PSU's had been discovered, otherwise I definitely would have gotten a single-rail model.

Well I really only plan on running dual 6600GT's for now because dual 6800 GT's is definately not in my budget at the moment. But my main concern right now is will this power supply run the computer stable without crashes constantly. I want it running stable in the meantime until I can save up a lil more money and buy a better PSU suitable for SLI.

dynamiks said:
Well I really only plan on running dual 6600GT's for now because dual 6800 GT's is definately not in my budget at the moment. But my main concern right now is will this power supply run the computer stable without crashes constantly. I want it running stable in the meantime until I can save up a lil more money and buy a better PSU suitable for SLI.

Well, the 6600GT's won't have secondary power plugs, so that will help. What might happen, just as a guess is that you'll be okay but won't be able to do a real strong CPU or GPU overclock. All I can say is give it a try and go from there...if you lock up installing Windows and/or on the Windows splash screen, then you might be having power supply issues.

I still don't get it. Why go with dual 6600gt when for a little more you can get a 6800gt which gives you better upgrade ability down the road.

dynamiks said:
Now I am worried because I have a Coolermaster Real Power 450W PSU and it has dual 12v rails.
Don't worry. I am using that exact PS with my A*N-SLI. No problems...well, no problems related to the power supply that is.

Back