Asus A8N-SLI Premium (need help)

Kathy

Limp Gawd
This was my first time building a computer so I don't know if it's something I've done wrong or if it's a problem with the motherboard. But I can't get it to boot to the operating system (WinXp Pro/SP2) using two (2x1gig) sticks of memory, it gives me a BSOD and reboots and then just stops, I have to turn it off. If I use one sick and it works fine.

I started off using Rosewill memory when this first happen and was told it was my memory so I bought some OCZ and it's doing the same thing. I also had a friend let me try there Kingston and it did the same thing. The manual says to use the two blue slots A1 and B1, I can use B1 and A2 and it will work fine and the memory shows up in Windows as 2048mb but not duel channel or whatever it's called.

I'm running an AMD X2 3800 cpu ( not OC) and have two Sata hard drives (Samsung), Nec DVD/CDRW and a NEC DVD player, and Nec Zip drive. I've tried taking everything out except one hard drive and the Video card (EVGA 7800gtx) and it still won't work. My temps are 32C for the MB and 33C for the CPU, and I have a PC/P&C 510 PS. And I'm using the 1005 Ausu Bios.

So, can someone please help me figure out what's wrong here? I don't have a clue myself and I could really use some help on this? Thanks!

Kathy

Wow, it's discouraging that so many types of RAM have failed. Usually, I assume it's just something that needs tweaked, but in your case, I think there is cause for some pessimism regarding whether the Motherboard is bad.

First, I'd clear the BIOS on the motherboard in case it was perhaps re-sold to you and someone may have left some funky settings in there. You can either do this with the CMOS clear jumper on the motherboard (preferred), or you can do it by just choosing default values on the last BIOS menu. . . but the former choice is more dependable to get *everything* reset.

If you still can't boot, I'd set the DDR voltage to 2.7v and try again. And I'd also possibly loosen the timings on them to 3-3-3-8-2T.

Finally, Try downloading Memtest and see if it detects any errors over a couple full passes. I have always used the old one. But, looking now, I guess there's a new one too. Though, I can't vouch for the new one.

Well, that's what I'd try first.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

H

Thanks Hurin!

I did the Memtest already and it didn't find any errors. And I just tried the voltage bump to 2.75volts and still got the blue screen. I couldn't find the spot for adjusting the memory timings, you might have to walk me thru that one. I've not played around too much in the bios so I don't make changes if I'm not sure about it. I'll try and clear the bios tonight when I get home but wanted to ask you first if it wouldn't be better to update my bios? I have the 1005 and I see on the Asus web site there's a 1006 and even a 1007 but maybe the 1005 is better? It also says to update the chip-set driver first, how do I check to see what chip-set driver I have now?

Well I'm going to be late for work so I have to go, but thanks again for your help and I'll check back later from work if I can.

Kathy

Well, I hate to ask this, but we really should rule this out. . . are you using a hard drive that already had Windows on it? Or did you install Windows after you built this rig? Sorry for the lame question. . . but, well, trying to use a hard drive with an old installation of Windows from a different system would (probably) cause it to blue screen or hang up upon booting. . . though the fact that it boots with one stick sorta makes this less likely I guess.

If it is a fresh install, then we're back to where we started. . . trying to figure out what's faulty or needs tweaked. :)

The memory timings are under Advanced-->CPU Configuration-->DRAM Configuration.

The order of these settings may be different because I'm going by the out-dated manual (can't look at my BIOS cuz I'm in the middle of a 24-hour Prime95 test for my overclock).

CAS............................3
tRCD...........................3
tRP.............................3
tRAS...........................8
1T/2T Memory Timing....2T

Those are pretty conservative.

I'm running the 1005 BIOS as well. So flashing shouldn't be necessary. However, if nothing else works, it may not be a bad idea. Though, I'd definitely try clearing the BIOS first. Of course, you'll then need to put back in any settings you've changed (such as memory timings).

Good Luck!

H

I ran into this issue when I corrupted Windows on my SATA drive after some overclock mishaps when I was originally testing.

If you can stand to lose the things that were ont he drive, you might try rebooting from the install CD, reformatting and doing a fresh install.

OK, I ran back home to try your suggestions. I set everything to default and rebooted. It booted to Windows and ever thing was OK but I still have to move the memory back to the blue slot.

Put the second piece of memory back in the blue slot. Back in bios I set the timings like you said and the DDR Voltage to 2.70..... saved and rebooted. Got a bsod just like before, it comes right after the Windows logo screen. :(

I just turned it off and came back to work, but I'll keep going back if you can think of anything else to try? Thanks so much for your help! This is really starting to depress me.

Kathy

botld92z said:
I ran into this issue when I corrupted Windows on my SATA drive after some overclock mishaps when I was originally testing.

If you can stand to lose the things that were ont he drive, you might try rebooting from the install CD, reformatting and doing a fresh install.
Well, she has two hard drives, so, Kathy, I'd boot with one stick of RAM and copy all your important stuff to the spare drive. Then put in both sticks of RAM and re-install Windows.

botld92z, were you experiencing the behavior where it just wouldn't run in dual-channel as well?

H

Sorry, I forgot you asked me about that, but yes, it's a fresh install of Windows and thats when I found out about not being able to use both sticks of memory. In order to install Windows I had to remove one. I would get a bsod right after windows installed the files and rebooted the first time. :)

BTW, the other day I tried my hand at OC. You guys seem to have so much fun with it I thought I'd give it a try. Something strange happen, I was being very careful and only playing with the FSB. I jumped one number at a time and would reboot to check it. I did find until I go to about 215 (I think) and then it started clocking my system back wards, is that normal? Thanks!

Kathy

Back