ASUS A8N-SLI Premium RMA

I am up and running again. Got the replacement board on thur. 10/19/06 Hopefully this board will work fine. So far it has for 17 hours. Wish me luck I need it.

This is kinda scary that we're all having the same problem at roughly the same amount of usage time. I had my A8N32 for roughly 6 months before it had trouble turning on (wouldent post sometimes, but still worked most of the time). Then one day it just crapped out and told me i had no hard drive (which i did.. and hard drive worked fine in other computers, twas SATA). Then it totally died, lights on, no post...

So i RMA the board after talking with them for about 15 min and telling them what i swapped out and tested/ect. After i get the "new one" from them (I dont believe it was brand new, the mounting holes had scuffs on them..) i install everything up go to turn it on.. and low and behold! Nothing! No post.. so I basically started crying :rolleyes:

After shutting it off for a few min i turn it back on to find myself getting error codes atleast, for ram, 1 long 2 short. I called them and they said something about capatability with OCZ ram, i have the 2gig platinum kit, 400mhz.

I called up OCZ and they said "it should work because it worked before" but for me to try and pop the ram in another computer to be sure the ram wasnt dead. Which i just did... and it worked.. i took the ram from that computer which i KNOW works (some off brand tho) and popped it into the ASUS mobo and still gives me beep codes.

So im about to RMA it for the number 2 time unless someone has some suggestions =/

I finally got my back last night and will install it today. I replaced my psu and it killed my mobo (i know this because i hooked the psu up to another computer and killed that mobo also...). i was looking over my Asus RMA paperwork and i can't figure it out. The serial # is the same as the board i sent in and it is in the "N" column. at the bottom they say that N stands for Replacement Part/Serial Number. in the next column it say PCB 1.02 and PCBA C14. Problem: ok. Repair Result: ok.

What does all this mean? does it mean that i now have a different mobo? does it mean that they reproduced the problem? i called Asus and they told me to refer back to the paper....I was reading all of that to her off of the paper!!!!

I think you will be better off calling the Tech line then the RMA line to explain what the letter means. SIX DAYS later and the replacement board is still working fine! :D

My 5mo old board just destroyed it's self and my X2 :p. It was working fine, then a Mosfet blew and Pumped my processor with about 1.78v. I crashed instantly, restarted, had temps in the high 50's idle (Im on water BTW) with CPUz telling me I had -44v through the processor.

Yeah, My multimeter told me otherwise. The chip is perminantly damaged, but will orthos at 1.8ghz for days... I guess i'm glad it still works (in an Asrock board mind you).

So yeah, I'm not even going to bother to RMA this POS. The 40$ shipping was better spent on an entire new system :eek:

well i just got everything plugged back in and my computer still will not boot. I am going to buy a X2 off of the egg and see if it works. If not, i guess i could always send it back and pay the restocking fee. oh well, off to spend more money!

BUNTZ I am having the SAME problem. just bought that mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI Premium)about 2 weeks ago Changed some power supply connections and all of a sudden mobo wont post, all I get is the green LCD.

Changed the configuration back to how it was originally and still no post.

Removed everything except CPU, VPU, and 1 stick of ram, still no post.

I know the hardware is ok becuase it worked before is started no posting.

Cleared CMOS, still no post, now I have to RMA back to newegg.com since that where I purchased it from.

I hope all works out with new one, becuase before is started no posting is worked fine. Is your mobo still working for you now?

Robbie82 My second board is still working fine [ I screw it up trying to overclock it more, had to reinstall windows] for 2 weeks now. I would have the power supply check out just to be sure nothing happen to it[ the computer is down anyway you have the time] I heard newegg is pretty good with RMA's so you should be up & running again soon. Newegg is where I bought all the parts for this computer,had no problem with them. Good Luck & hope you have no more problems.

Robbie, I'm thinking that if the board worked before you changed psu connections, and it still powers up but doesn't post that you may have killed the mobo w/ the electricity. Just like in the old westerns! :rolleyes:

VulturEMaN said:
40$ shipping?!?!?!?!?!

I think I spent 4$ RMAing my psu...

Yes. I live in Canada. To Fedex or UPS it to the company (regular mail takes like 2.5 weeks,and still costs 19$) is about 38$ + a box.

VulturEMaN said:
Robbie, I'm thinking that if the board worked before you changed psu connections, and it still powers up but doesn't post that you may have killed the mobo w/ the electricity. Just like in the old westerns! :rolleyes:

No I doubt it. Nothing was removed/touched on mobo. I have an Antec SP150 PSU which has removable cable links, one was unused and I just wanted more room in case and a spare slot for when I plan on going SLI in future. So no changes were made on mobo, and again the LCD lit up so I doubt it was fried.

I have red MANY reviews showing people have had post problems, and many people had to switch a board or 2 in order to get one stable. I hope to god this replacement works. I like the mobo layout, but if it dosent work its useless. Buntz thanks for making this thread, please keep me/us updated and I hope this one continues to work for you. It will give me hope as I wait for mine :D

Robbie82 I check out the Antec .com web site[US] could not find a SP150 PSU, if you do go SLI make sure you have a good PSU. My PC Power &cooling 510 has 510 watt/650 peak, I was toll it barely enought to run my 2 EVGA 7800GT's and 2 harddrives. If you plan to use newer cards I would go with a 600 watt or more PSU.[I would still have somebody check out the power supply to make sure it did not get damaged,you do not want to damaged another motherboard ]If the problem is the same as I had I hope you get a good replacement board this time,it is a nice board when it works.

robbie82 said:
No I doubt it. Nothing was removed/touched on mobo. I have an Antec SP150 PSU which has removable cable links, one was unused and I just wanted more room in case and a spare slot for when I plan on going SLI in future. So no changes were made on mobo, and again the LCD lit up so I doubt it was fried.

I have red MANY reviews showing people have had post problems, and many people had to switch a board or 2 in order to get one stable. I hope to god this replacement works. I like the mobo layout, but if it dosent work its useless. Buntz thanks for making this thread, please keep me/us updated and I hope this one continues to work for you. It will give me hope as I wait for mine :D

Oh...ok :p

Then yea, the mobo was probably just evil and decided to die at a bad time...

Buntz said:
Robbie82 I check out the Antec .com web site[US] could not find a SP150 PSU, if you do go SLI make sure you have a good PSU. My PC Power &cooling 510 has 510 watt/650 peak, I was toll it barely enought to run my 2 EVGA 7800GT's and 2 harddrives. If you plan to use newer cards I would go with a 600 watt or more PSU.[I would still have somebody check out the power supply to make sure it did not get damaged,you do not want to damaged another motherboard ]If the problem is the same as I had I hope you get a good replacement board this time,it is a nice board when it works.

Just make sure it's not anything with 680W....ughhhh...600, 700 are all good, but jeez...lol...no more 680W psus for me...its a curse...

My PC PWR &CLG 510 SLI works fine,had to RMA it because of noise. I do not think it will have watts to handle the watercooling system that I plan to install this winter, so I will be upgrading my power supply soon.

Finally mailed my MOBO back to newegg (had to wait for post office to open, closed on weeked)

I will keep updated, hope everything works, if it dosent I am just gonna resturn and get a different mobo.

What a bunch of horror stories guys! I guess I must be the lucky one here. I've been running the A8N-SLI Premium MB for over a year now and absolutely no problems whatsoever. Windows XP Pro, AMD 64x2 DC 4800, WD 150GB Raptor, ASUS 7800GTX, 2GB OCZ Platinum and my machine just purrs along day after day! Best thing I've ever done.

Wish you all better luck!

noelsairplanes said:
What a bunch of horror stories guys! I guess I must be the lucky one here. I've been running the A8N-SLI Premium MB for over a year now and absolutely no problems whatsoever. Windows XP Pro, AMD 64x2 DC 4800, WD 150GB Raptor, ASUS 7800GTX, 2GB OCZ Platinum and my machine just purrs along day after day! Best thing I've ever done.

Wish you all better luck!

Well I would love for it to work, I love it when it did. So I am hoping the replacement works. I will update once I get the new board.

Got my second RMA board, hooked up everything, LCD light comes on and guess what......no post, Based on the issues revolving around moving the power supply I will try a new power supply. If it fails that its the last straw, Im selling the working parts and getting an alienware laptop.

THAT SUCKS! Hope the new power supply fix the problem, it a good board WHEN IT WORKS. If you are running SLI make sure you buy a 600 watt or more power supply. Let us know how you make out.

This thread scares me. I am thinking of getting an asus sli deluxe to replace my pain-in-the-ass dfi expert (in my sig) mb that died today.

Go for it, but pick up a cheap passive northbridge heatsink with it too, cause the asus one will die within a few months.

VulturEMaN said:
Go for it, but pick up a cheap passive northbridge heatsink with it too, cause the asus one will die within a few months.

umm there seems to be a heatpipe configuration on it...

There is the A8N-SLI Deluxe, and there is the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

A8N-SLI Deluxe < A8N-SLI Premium < A8N32-SLI Deluxe

General Crespin said:
There is the A8N-SLI Deluxe, and there is the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

A8N-SLI Deluxe < A8N-SLI Premium < A8N32-SLI Deluxe

I'll be getting the a8n32-sli deluxe =)

I was the one that started this thread back in Sept. I got a replacement board on 10/19 2006 and have not had a problem since I install this board. When the board works it works great. I was thinking of moving up to a A8N32-SLI board early this week ,but read that there is only a slight gain in proformance between the two boards. I could not see paying 162.99 for that slight gain. [ I will wait till after Christmas when the board goes on sale] I would recommend this board.[You might have to get a second one to get one that works :D ]

Buntz said:
. When the board works it works great. You might have to get a second one to get one that works :D

Describes the expert perfectly. That's the scary part.

I know I read your post on another thread. I do not think I had as many problems as you did. My board just crashed and would not reinstall windows after working for 6 months with no problems. My guess is something broke on my board.[Might have been my overclock too. IT was in the middle of summer when it broke. ] Know matter where you go you are going to find somebody to trash every motherboard out there, they all have problems with there Enthusiast [high end] boards because they are trying to out do each other. The board you are looking at has been out now for almost a year, ASUS should have the bugs worked out by now just download the latest BIOS.

SO I picked up an ASUS A8N32-SLI deluxe during lunch. not sure I'll have time to install it tonight or not. If you run sli with two vid cards that have the equivalent of double thick heatsinks.. can you use ANY of the PCI slots?

My GPUs are water cooled but I have fairly tall memory heatsinks. I've heard the onboard audio sucks so I may want to slap an audio card in it.

I do on my Asus A8N-SLI PREMIUM. I have two 7800 GT with Arctic cooling cooler on them .My sound card is in the bottom slot. It fits ,but every thing is tight.

Hello everyone, im new to theses forums and found this thread on the same mobo i have.
im running this board and not having any problems at all for 4 months now and i dont think i will, but as i see some of you guys have had problems after 6 months, so hopefully i wont, but you never can tell. i will keep you guys up to date on any problems i have, so wish me luck.

My replacement board has been going now for 3 months with no problems. Getting ready to water cool it to see how high I can overclock the CPU. Welcome And GOOD LUCK with your board.

Buntz, your system is DAMN close to my specs, and an OPTY 144 went over 3ghz on the board, and my dual core booted and went immediately to 2.7. I never tried higher as my PSU croaked. Awaiting the RMA shipment now.

Buntz, your system is DAMN close to my specs, and an OPTY 144 went over 3ghz on the board, and my dual core booted and went immediately to 2.7. I never tried higher as my PSU croaked. Awaiting the RMA shipment now.
That good to hear,I am hoping to get at least 3Mhz out of it.I just upgrade my power supply to a BFG 1000 watt power supply to handle the watercooling and my next upgrade a 8800 or R600[when it come out] video card.

You all think that this is a problem similar to what you all were experiencing? I finally got my computer to boot by first taking out one of the video cards (wouldnt boot that way though) and then taking out one stick of RAM. I dont know if the video card had anything to do with it, but I removed one so I could test each of them individually. So now I booted into windows and I am still get some "corrupt" error when I try to install WoW. So I am downloading the trial client and I am going to try to install that way. If that install I am gonna guess that the cd is faulty somehow. But I shall post again if I still experience resets.

With the problem I had I could not even reinstall windows. Did you check the ram and video card individually? Instead of using ram slot 1&3 try 2&4 or 1& 2. I do not know much about raid 0 ,but might not be a bad ideal to check the harddrives with a error check. Is your system overclock? If it is try setting it back some see if it help. When your switch motherboards did you do a fresh install of windows?

I am in the process of checking the ram and video cards individually. Truth be told, even with both sticks of ram in I was having absolutely no memtest errors even after 5 passes. So the only way I seem to be able to test it is by just running the system, which I am doing now with just 1 video card and 1 stick of ram. Each video card seems to work in another system that I tested them in, and I have seen no graphical errors of any kind. But, from what I have read in this thread the asus board is really picky with ram. My ram is listed among the compatible ram modules, so I am not sure what would be wrong. as for trying it in a2 b2 I did not know that was an option, so I might give that a shot. Finally I am not overclocking at all. I have everything, voltages and timings etc all set at stock.

Changing ram slot is one way to see if you have a bad slot. ASUS does recommend in the user guide to use slot 1&3 for dual channel & slot 1 for single stick of ram.

Ok so here is the deal. I took out one stick of ram and left the other in the B1 slot. I have had absolutely no problems since. What gives??

Back