Asus A8V or Abit AV8 (or even MSI)?

ReNeGaDe*

Limp Gawd
Hi there,
I bet there's about 50 other threads with all this info in, but I've never seen any direct comparisons, all I've seen is that all three have problems, but all three are very good. My friend and I are going to build new 939 rigs with Winchesters next week (I'll prolly use a 3200+, he's using a 3500+) and we're both probably going to OC. I'm probably using 1GB OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Revision 2 memory and he's using 1GB Corsair TwinX XMS DDR PC3200C2PRO memory. The only thign we can't decide which motherboard to use.

I'm not too keen on using a Neo2 Platinum as I've had my fair share of annoyances with the Neo Platinum I have right now, so I've gotten it down to between the Abit and the Asus. In Custom PC magazine they reccomended the Abit, but that was because the Asus they reviewed didn't have a working PCI/AGP lock, but it was the wifig version and I'll be going for a Rev2 one. Also they chose the Abit for the 3rd Eye, which frankly I have no use for (apparently it can check your email whilst you're playing doom3). What I've gleaned from these forums is that the Neo2 Platinum is the best, but I really am not sure about it. I don't have any problems with the non-working SATA1&2 locks and I'll probably be using one of those new BFG 6800GTs (they're roughly £50 ($90)) cheaper here).

So what I really want to know is which is better out of the Asus A8V Rev 2 and the Abit AV8 3rd Eye, or if I should just give MSI another chance. Price isn't so much of an issue and I am looking to overclock heavily.

TIA
Parag

I have both the A8V Asus and the Neo2 MSI mobos .. my first impression of the the Neo2 was lack luster at best ... it didnt like some OCZ PC4000 modules I had in it and I wasnt aware of the non locking SATA ports at the time so had probs with my raid array .and I lost the non nVidia ethernet port at the bios level .. so rma'd and put the A8V in...

..got my +3500 up to 2.55ghz stable using the OCZ PC4000 stuff ..then got some PDP systems Patriot pc3200 and it runs same speed as the PC4000 with tighter timings no less ... the A8V that I have is a rev2 board but it suffers from unlocked SATA ports as well of which I didnt discover until recently when I tried adding a 3rd SATA drive running oc'd .. jumped to default speeds and drive worked fine..

..performance wise , I was very happy with the A8V mobo. I recently aquired an FX-53 chip and slapped it into the A8V and got and immediate high pitch whine and thought "oh great ..i got a dud FX chip" (there is another thread of FX slowdown and noise thing going on) .. open'd up my freshly returned from rma Neo2 and setup board on my work bench and the FX chip was fine .. hmmm

..put FX back in ASUS mobo and high pitch squeel again ... so I ripped the A8V out hesitantly and put the Neo2 in with the FX and bam-O ..high pitch squeel ..thought maybe something went awry with my P&C system psu ..but then noticed I didnt have molex connectors hooked up to my BFG 6800 Ultra OC card ..hooked them up and all is good. (thing I am not sure on is whether or not I had molex connectors disconnected from vidcard on the A8V ..and if they were ..how/why did I disconnect them just to change out the cpu ... :confused: ) .

..anyways , now I am running the Neo2 on a dirty install of windows with the FX chip running at 2.67ghz (for now) and keeping the fsb at 200mhz so I dont lose the unlocked SATA ports and of course games and everything seems faster , so is an unfair comparison. One thing tho is that I am using the non nVidia ethernet port to hook up to my ADSL modem , and internet browsing and gaming and downloads are faster/smoother now ..in gaming before It seemed alot laggier (CS:Source mainly) and now its way smoother (might be just a coincidence with CS servers just handling load better now ..dono)

so in a nutshell ..the A8V ran awesome with my +3500 ..and the Neo2 is running awesome with my FX-53 chip ...and maybe its just a combination of an nVidia card on an nVidia chipset w/ a faster cpu is why gaming seems like silky butter now (duh... :rolleyes: ) ..as opposed to just being buttery :)

...providing you dont get a dud from either camp ..I think you would be happy with either/or :cool:

I just bought a winchester 3200+ and after doing some research long story short. Out of those 3 the asus a8v is pretty much the only mobo that will for sure boot with the new cores! The others need to have a new bios installed and thats not 100% yet as far as which u'll get. The asus luckily lets u alt-f2 before post to update bios from floppy so! =)

Good info about the BIOS tazman - but what about the board in general? Anyparticular praises/gripes?

Back