ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Hopefully a strobing option.

I'm interested to see the reviews for this one, but this being a TN I'm mostly hoping for more 120Hz 1440p announcements. The sooner the better!

I have the PB278Q by Asus with a PLS panel. It can easily overclock to 80Hz and it is simply amazing. Contrast, color, you name it. I have no problem staying competitive in BF4 with it. I came off a BenQ 120 Hz panel.

I picked it up for $550

I have the PB278Q by Asus with a PLS panel. It can easily overclock to 80Hz

What does the fact that you like a different monitor have to do with this monitor? Nothing. The PB278Q can't overclock without dropping frames either, so setting it to 80hz is pointless.

Last edited:
800+ possible tax and shipping is indeed steep. Combined with the fact that it is a non glossy TN means I will pass and wait on competing models.

G-sync does not work with NVsurround.

Also, it looks like this monitor has a perma stand and is not VESA mountable.

Too bad.

G-sync does not work with NVsurround.

Also, it looks like this monitor has a perma stand and is not VESA mountable.

Too bad.

It is VESA mountable.

ROG Swift PG278Q (extended spec list)
Display: 27-inch (16:9) wide screen
Resolution: 2560 × 1440 WQHD with 1ms response rate.
Brightness: 350cd/m²
Connectivity: DisplayPort, USB 3.0 ports (upstream x 1, downstream × 3), 3.5mm earphone jack
Ergonomic Tilt (+20° ~ -5°), swivel (+60° ~ -60°), pivot (90° clockwise), height adjustment (0 ~ 120mm)
VESA wall mountable (100 × 100mm) Source

Really wished it was AH-IPS or IGZO, with 10 bit/1.07 Billion colors, as the Dell 27" 10bit is etc... Not a bad monitor of course, but I can't ever think of spending that much on a TN panel and I can't be too satisfied with what seems to be a Nvidia proprietary technology built in - maybe if it was platform agnostic that would be better. I haven't researched it too much, but can this feature be used with AMD cards as well?

It is VESA mountable.

ROG Swift PG278Q (extended spec list)
Display: 27-inch (16:9) wide screen
Resolution: 2560 × 1440 WQHD with 1ms response rate.
Brightness: 350cd/m²
Connectivity: DisplayPort, USB 3.0 ports (upstream x 1, downstream × 3), 3.5mm earphone jack
Ergonomic Tilt (+20° ~ -5°), swivel (+60° ~ -60°), pivot (90° clockwise), height adjustment (0 ~ 120mm)
VESA wall mountable (100 × 100mm) Source

cool. a lot of monitors i liked over the years had fixed stands which i hate. i might mount one of these above my surround displays for games that prefer a single screen.

Looks like a matte screen to me. :mad:

P1050057-copy.jpg

P1050020-copy.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to give Vega a call. :)

Seriously Asus what the fuck!!

i like matte screens, it's personal preference.

also, is it just me, or the camera, or is the color shift from the side pretty significant?

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't stand glossy on a computer monitor. It's okay on my Plasma but I have better light control in my living room and I'm not reading text all day. If it is too matte then I could see it being an issue like what was bought up on Asus' track record for this.

i like matter screens, it's personal preference.

also, is it just me, or the camera, or is the color shift from the side pretty significant?

Seems like a typical TN panel to me (VA snob alert - they're not perfect either). The camera could make it seem worse though.

i guess we're just gonna have to wait on a proper review from tftcentral or prad.

i have to say one thing though, i LOVE how thin that bezel is.

Apart from the red light on the base it looks pretty professional and clean.

Nice one ASUS for pushing monitor tech forward, even if its not everything we want.

LCD's are starting to get interesting this past year, PC monitors in particular have been stagnating since 2006.

Do we know who manufacturers the panel in this?

Last edited:
Not yet - it's first time someone made 1440p TN panel.

I wish someone made one with tempered glass coating :(

I'm not sure it is even a red light, if you look at some of the close up pics on the Asus site, it just looks like a red glossy plastic ring.

Maybe I'm being ignorant, naive or both here but considering where the tech is now I really can't see why this exact same monitor (specs and tech) couldn't have been IPS or VA instead.

$800 for an IPS or VA version of this exact same monitor and I think we would be seeing a vastly different looking thread right now including myself. I'd seriously be considering a day one buy on th is vs the complete lack of interest I have now.

There really is no need to stick with TN except at the really lower end cheaper entry levels and even that's debatable.

I'm very disappointed in this. The only encouragement I take is at least I can say I finally see 120Hz at 2560x1440 resolution showing up. There is something to be said for that.

Maybe I'm being ignorant, naive or both here but considering where the tech is now I really can't see why this exact same monitor (specs and tech) couldn't have been IPS or VA instead.

$800 for an IPS or VA version of this exact same monitor and I think we would be seeing a vastly different looking thread now including myself. I'd seriously be considering a day one buy vs the complete lack of interest I have now.

There really is no need to stick with TN except at the really lower end cheaper entry levels and even that's debatable.

Didn't you know? All the pro-1337-pwnz0rn0sc0pe420awsmz "competitive" players will tell you that only noobs and casuals game on IPS/PLS/VA. Real gamers only use TN.

(I'm not exaggerating, I read some of the posts about this monitor on OCN and I got sick to my stomach with all the elitism, that above is pretty much what some people said).

Last edited:

$800 for an IPS or VA version of this exact same monitor and I think we would be seeing a vastly different looking thread right now including myself. I'd seriously be considering a day one buy on th is vs the complete lack of interest I have now.

I'm very disappointed in this. The only encouragement I take is at least I can say I finally see 120Hz at 2560x1440 resolution showing up. There is something to be said for that.

This argument happens in every single post about a 120/144hz monitor.

It's like a new Ferrari is released:

The eco friendly crowd complains about the fuel economy - why couldn't they make a version that looks just as nice but uses a diesel-electric hybrid drive?

The family with 4 kids says it's too cramped - why couldn't they just make a stretch version so a family can enjoy the Ferrari experience?

The gear head says he could make a Camaro just as fast with a little work, why are they charging so much?

The fact is, if you want an affordable, fuel efficient Ferrari that seats six people, you don't want a Ferrari.

This argument happens in every single post about a 120/144hz monitor.

It's like a new Ferrari is released:

The eco friendly crowd complains about the fuel economy - why couldn't they make a version that looks just as nice but uses a diesel-electric hybrid drive?

The family with 4 kids says it's too cramped - why couldn't they just make a stretch version so a family can enjoy the Ferrari experience?

The gear head says he could make a Camaro just as fast with a little work, why are they charging so much?

The fact is, if you want an affordable, fuel efficient Ferrari that seats six people, you don't want a Ferrari.

Car analogies are terrible and never work. Please stop using them.

And apparently you missed his point completely.

Didn't you know? All the pro-1337-pwnz0rn0sc0pe420awsmz "competitive" players will tell you that only noobs and casuals game on IPS/PLS/VA. Real gamers only use TN.

(I'm not exaggerating, I read some of the posts about this monitor on OCN and I got sick to my stomach with all the elitism, that above is pretty much what some people said).

As opposed to all the elitism about "TN is crap OMG why oh why did you do this asus, IPS/PLS is the messiah" going on in there as well? This debate will go on for a good while but at the end of the day its all about personal preference. I currently use a Dell U2713HM but will get the PG278Q because its everything i have been wanting in a monitor especially since i play alot of FPSs and want that smooth 120hz gameplay at 1440p. I don't wanna deal with overclocking korean panels as well. That's just my preference.

As apposed to all the elitism about "TN is crap OMG why oh why did you do this asus, IPS/PLS is the messiah" going on in there as well?

I don't think you understand what elitism is...

Saying true gamers only use TN and that IPS/PLS is for casuals and noobs = elitism
Saying IPS/PLS is superior to TN in general and just as good for most gaming = fact

I don't think you understand what elitism is...

Saying true gamers only use TN and that IPS/PLS is for casuals and noobs = elitism
Saying IPS/PLS is superior to TN in general and just as good for most gaming = fact

While what you say isn't false, what i stated is my interpretation of all this since this monitor was announced.

Car analogies are terrible and never work. Please stop using them.

And apparently you missed his point completely.

What's terrible are opinions stated as fact.

Having the IPS crowd run down every 120hz TN panel really is no different than street racers running down mini vans because their center of gravity is too high.

I personally would pay $800 for a TN monitor like this if it performs as advertised, but I have little interest in non TN panels. The difference is, I don't post in every VA/IPS thread saying "no Lightboost? 60hz? WTF are they thinking!?"

If you say so.

If you are disputing the fact that IPS/PLS is superior to TN in everything but gaming, then you are clueless and I am done wasting my time with you.

Please tell me what part of IPS/PLS being superior to TN in everything but gaming is an opinion and not fact?

Having the IPS crowd run down every 120hz TN panel really is no different than street racers running down mini vans because their center of gravity is too high.

Because non-TN 120Hz panels are impossible right (Eizo FG2421)? And being displeased at lazy/greedy manufacturers for not giving them to us is just standard run of the mill rabid anti-TN behaviour right?

The difference is, I don't post in every VA/IPS thread saying "no Lightboost? 60hz? WTF are they thinking!?"

I presume you have proof to back up that little attack of yours? Of course you don't, because I don't do that. In fact, I only made a sarcastic/joke post and then all the TN-worshippers came in droves to "enlighten" me. I merely returned in kind.

Last edited:
If you are disputing the fact that IPS/PLS is superior to TN in everything but gaming, then you are clueless and I am done wasting my time with you.

Not once did i say that it was. You completely missed my point on the fact that it comes down to personal preference/opinion. Who is wasting whos time now?

I personally would pay $800 for a TN monitor like this if it performs as advertised, but I have little interest in non TN panels. The difference is, I don't post in every VA/IPS thread saying "no Lightboost? 60hz? WTF are they thinking!?"

Agreed.

Likewise, I have two IPS panels at home but, if this works as advertised, I am ready with cash in hand to grab one of these.

I presume you have proof to back up that little attack of yours? Of course you don't, because I don't do that. In fact, I only made a sarcastic/joke post and then all the TN-worshippers came in droves to "enlighten" me. I merely returned in kind.

he's not attacking you, idiot. look around you. there's only one group of "worshipers" in this thread, hell the entire forum, and it's not TN they're worshiping.

Jeez guys, I don't think this is any case of panel fanboism (I didn't even know this was a thing), just general disapointment this probably isn't the "do it all" monitor a lot of us hoped was coming. Especially after the release of the new Eizo 120Hz VA I think there were more people hoping to see a 1440p 120Hz VA than there were people wanting a TN...and yeah, let's wait for the reviews, I'm certainly hoping for the best. Aren't we all?

Guys, it's the first monitor (hopefully of many) to natively combine 120Hz support with 2560x1440 resolution. It's a first. Firsts tend to be improved upon very quickly once the competition gets in on the act. If 2560x1440 IPS is possible to do at 120Hz natively then I daresay the release of this ASUS will significantly expedite the progress towards us seeing such a monitor. Be glad, as I am (I am personally share the love for IPS but can nonetheless celebrate this TN for what it is).

Edit: And that's before you even celebrate the fact that it's coming with G-Sync!

Guys, it's the first monitor (hopefully of many) to natively combine 120Hz support with 2560x1440 resolution. It's a first. Firsts tend to be improved upon very quickly once the competition gets in on the act. If 2560x1440 IPS is possible to do at 120Hz natively then I daresay the release of this ASUS will significantly expedite the progress towards us seeing such a monitor. Be glad, as I am (I am personally share the love for IPS but can nonetheless celebrate this TN for what it is).

Edit: And that's before you even celebrate the fact that it's coming with G-Sync!

I'm quite stoked for the PG278Q monitor. I sure hope newegg will have a preorder option soon. :D

We've already seen that current-gen IPS is too slow for 120 Hz (still significant motion blur and streaking given the response time). The new Sharp VA and TN is where it is at for now, and if this TN isn't complete shit then it might be good enough. Not sure if I can give up the blacks on my FG2421 though :)

Why is the display TN rather than IPS/PVA/MVA, etc?
Not all TN’s are made the same: the premium panel used in the PG278Q is of very high quality. IPS panels (and their derivatives like PVA/MVA etc) are not suitable for a multitude of reasons: 1) the response rate is simply not fast enough to react to the active change in refresh rate and 2) They cannot reliably achieve >60Hz without significantly affecting the quality of the image. IGZO technology (and LTPS – low temperature polysilicon – likewise) – yields 100′s of times faster electron mobility versus standard amorphous silicon panels – and thus can provide a response rate comparable to TN (up to 60Hz currently), but, however desirable this technology is, it is still currently cost prohibitively for many PC gaming enthusiasts in 2014, which is why ROG has used a better price:performance, high quality TN panel.

Back