ASUS Demos Immensity X58 Hydra Motherboard

I'm not sure if I want to say Weird, or Cool, or...

Interesting! Curious to see what others have to say. I do wonder what the cooling solution will have to look like.

Who is this for? The guy with enough money to buy a high-end board but no money to buy a gfx card?

seems like a good idea MOBO with a strong IGP with the option to add 2 more videocards for even better performance.

I completely welcome the effort, though I’m still very curious about the cooling this thing will have

Is it just me or is that heatsink overlapping the first dimm slot...

I should look through all the pictures before posting, but it definitely looks that way, if you could get a module in that first dimm slot you’d be sure it won't be anything with a heat spreader. Looks like someone only measured once :eek:

So it's pretty much a waste unless that's the exact video card you want, and your stuck if you ever want to use a different card because once again that would just be a waste.

with the hydra chip, you can still get your SLi fix with the added 5770 performance mixed in as well.

So it's pretty much a waste unless that's the exact video card you want, and your stuck if you ever want to use a different card because once again that would just be a waste.

Read up on what the Lucid Hydra chip does. With it, you can use that integrated card to boost the performance of any discreet graphics card(s) you install in this motherboard.

Read up on what the Lucid Hydra chip does. With it, you can use that integrated card to boost the performance of any discreet graphics card(s) you install in this motherboard.

does it actually work as advertised though? I know the first round of reviews didn't look so hot for the hydra chip at all.

So you're saying that if you buy something that you don't want it's a waste?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_CrossFire

That's cool. I wasn't aware there was anything like it until now.

And no I was just saying that at first it seems like a niche thing because not everyone may want a 5770 or if you get a different card.

sure looks like it, looks like it might be in the way of that first pci-e1x slot as well (both just a simple matter of machining refinement.

How ever, EG had a bit of a fail on there part... no pics of the lower section of the board or back plane... sure it has a 5770... but do i only have an hdmi port? dose it have onboard audio? what about legacy ps2? not to mention e-sata or how many usb ports are internal/external or if it still has firewire support.

lots o blurry shots. some of them cool, most of them useless

was there 2 boards or were they just pulling the heatsinks off to display the IC's.. Given Asus' and the ROG's general build quality I wouldn't think that something this obvious would've slipped their minds.

just sayin.

Needs to be in a mATX form factor so you can put it in a 1/2 height mini case and have a very nice light weight HTPC or LanBox.

I would love this. Part of my issue when changing video cards if having to switch to an old 6200 Turbo Cache. If I had this I could postpone video card purchases and sell my old one for a decent amount.

Of course if the price of this board is any where close to the price of a mobo + similarly performing GPU then I might as well buy another one.

If they make an micro ATX version, I'll be all over it for my next game-friendly HTPC.

I hope this comes out! I love the layout of the the PCI-E Slots and the black and red layout like the classified.

its got the chip that allows u to crossfire, sli etc any card along with the IGP so i dont see how its a waste

Nice to see these board makers are starting to space out the PCIE x16 slots

Interesting concept. Having high-powered graphics chips integrated into the main board does pose some risks though. I can see localized heat stress on the circuits being of concern.

Back