Asus Double GTX 285 called Mars rofl

Mortuus

[H]ard|Gawd
4_liten002.jpg

3001.jpg

GTX 295 Mars will ony be produced in a quantity of 1000 units only.
benched here, http://www.nordichardware.se/Artiklar/?skrivelse=514&page=3
G200b
2x 240 st.
648 MHz
1 476 MHz
2 400 MHz
2x 2 048 MB
2x 512-bit

Last edited:
I just knew you could do 512bus with these cards. At lease some won't be dumping reasons of heat and power load BS. Got tried of hearing it.

Last edited:
The new King... :)

I would Step From my 295 into this beast, if EVGA would make one, and called it the 296. :p

Judging from the basis that most GTX 285s are anywhere from 350-400 bucks, the fact they are producing a limited quantity, and since they named it "Mars" and gave it some cool bodywork, I bet they will try to make it atleast $800

Edit: I just saw this is based off two 2GB chips to equal 4GB, so my new guess is $1000+/-

Each 2 gig 285 costs over 400 bucks. Plus this is a limited run of 1000. My guess is $1500 each.

Yeah once you really think about it, $700 is a drop in bucket. I'll raise it to a guess of 1299.95 on sale. Act within the first 20 seconds and receive not one but two Slap Chops. You'll like my nuts....:)

slapchop_features.jpg

Last edited:
As long as I'm doing wild-ass predictions, I will do one more. Within 3 days of them being released (if they are available here in the US) someone here on [H]ard will have ordered two of them for a quad SLI set-up (and be struggling with initial driver issues!) :D

As long as I'm doing wild-ass predictions, I will do one more. Within 3 days of them being released (if they are available here in the US) someone here on [H]ard will have ordered two of them for a quad SLI set-up (and be struggling with initial driver issues!) :D

For once that won't be me. I'm going to pass. My Geforce GTX 280 OC 3-Way SLI is doing just fine. I'll wait for the next generation cards before I buy anything else.

Or a thread title "Should I upgrade to a Mars"..."Should I get two GTX285's or a Mars"..."Will my powersupply handle a Mars"..."Quad Mars and still can't play Crysis maxed"

If you saw Starship Troopers it looks like the coffin that one gal had when they gave her the burial at sea... err.... space.

(edit: nope... must have been another space movie- just youtubed the scene)

Last edited:
I've got to say that on a technical level I really like this card and the idea of it. Though ASUS needs help in the "Naming Things" department. This card really is what the Geforce GTX 295 should have been all from the beginning. (Hear me NVIDIA? Quit gimping your dual GPU cards.)

That's the 24 carat gold studded diamond question. I'll take a guess of $600-700?

Likely more than that. Back when the 280 HC16 came out it was $800 so assume roughly like 800-1000 But never know i could be wrong.

Not really worth it unless you've got some $$ to burn. I mean, isn't the gtx300 cards right around the corner? Still though, props to ASUS for doing what Nvidia should have done in the first place :rolleyes:

I've got to say that on a technical level I really like this card and the idea of it. Though ASUS needs help in the "Naming Things" department. This card really is what the Geforce GTX 295 should have been all from the beginning. (Hear me NVIDIA? Quit gimping your dual GPU cards.)
Perhaps Nvidia doesn't release card like this is because it would have TDP of over 300W and it would be against PCI-Express standarts? Nvidia's GTX 295 has TDP of 289W

If you saw Starship Troopers it looks like the coffin that one gal had when they gave her the burial at sea... err.... space.

(edit: nope... must have been another space movie- just youtubed the scene)
Pretty sure it's in Wing Commander.

Perhaps Nvidia doesn't release card like this is because it would have TDP of over 300W and it would be against PCI-Express standarts? Nvidia's GTX 295 has TDP of 289W

PCI-Express specifications for power are already being exceeded by any card that uses an external power connector. The amount of power used by the PCI-Express slots themselves is fixed and should be within specifications for PCI-Express 1.0/1.0a and PCI-Express 2.0 standards. PCI-Express 1.0 only allows for the motherboard to output a maximum of 75watts of power through the PCI-Express slot which many of the high end cards of the day already went well past. The X800TX and the 6800 Ultra are good examples of this. It has been quite some time since I read the specifications but I do not recall the PCI-Express specifications saying anything about a cards total TDP which is irrelevant provided that the card doesn't try to use more power than the specification allows for through the bus.

NVIDIA's SLI scaling past two GPUs drops off quickly. A third GPU is still useful but a fourth isn't really all that beneficial if any.
From the Guru3D article linked earlier in the thread:
"ASUS broke away with using the nForce 200 chip, and instead is using a yet to be disclosed third-party bridge chip."
Does the is mean 4 GPUs could be worthwhile? i.e. if you have two of these Asus cards would the SLI scaling only be used between them?

Or a thread title "Should I upgrade to a Mars"..."Should I get two GTX285's or a Mars"..."Will my powersupply handle a Mars"..."Quad Mars and still can't play Crysis maxed"

dont forget the "why is newegg sold out of the gtx 295 MARS?" "when will newegg restock the GTX 295 MARS?" "will my case be able to cool quad-SLI gtx 295 MARS?"

yeah i can think of about 3 pages worth of thread titles we will see when its released..

and for the person who asked about the them using the gtx 295.. answer me this then.. why is there a gtx 260 gtx 260 216 core and a gtx 260 216 core 55nm.. pretty much sums up nvidia's stupid naming scheme..

I just knew you could do 512bus with these cards. At lease some won't be dumping reasons of heat and power load BS. Got tried of hearing it.

Yes... All I need is someone to post about starting house fires and my psychic abilities will be complete.:p

is anyone else concerned about heat issues in what appears to be a small oven encasing two of the hottest biggest GPUs manufactured today, with a fan that is partially blocked by the oven casing? I am sure ASUS thought about this already, but it looks like that thing will cook itself

I also like how, in that pic of the PC with 2 of them set up, the owner is running two seperate power supplies to run the GPUs, and he took the casings off for better cooling

Last edited:
is anyone else concerned about heat issues in what appears to be a small oven encasing two of the hottest biggest GPUs manufactured today, with a fan that is partially blocked by the oven casing? I am sure ASUS thought about this already, but it looks like that thing will cook itself

I also like how, in that pic of the PC with 2 of them set up, the owner is running two seperate power supplies to run the GPUs, and he took the casings off for better cooling

That setup may not be retail. They could be engineering samples.

Back