ASUS EAH3850 Trinity Triple GPU Video Card

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nordic Hardware has pictures of the ASUS EAH3850 Trinity triple GPU video card. The card uses a cool heat pipe / water cooling combo and, as you can imagine, is pretty damn beefy. The site is really, really slow right now so I snagged a few pics for those of you that can’t view them:

heh I just saw it and now its on [H] too :D

gotta give them some credit for trying this out

"where's the ASUS EN9600 Neo?" :p

daaaaaang. I want.

I wonder what kind of power draw that thing's got. Also wonder if you can plug in two of these cards, sort of like having 2 GX2's in quad SLi. What would this be? Sextuplet Crossfire?

Can't imagine that being anywhere near the final version, seems to be connectors to slot smaller pcb's which i will assume contains the core on it.

Can't imagine that being anywhere near the final version, seems to be connectors to slot smaller pcb's which i will assume contains the core on it.

Its not final. It actually isn't even a real product (or at least not yet)

from article
The card is still just a concept and it hasn't been decided when or if it will be released, however we do know that it works.

Just think if they kept that concept but in the future we get quad core gpus, that would be insane gaming there if it was taken advantage of.

It looks like essentially 3 mobile cards (MXM or something... if forget) all plugged into a big host board. I remember someone doing something like this a while back with 2x ATI GPUs. Just an awesome card though, I love the 4x DVI!

I was just thinking the same thing, lol. Looks bad ass though.

Wow, what an awkward device! I can only fathom it being used in multipanel displays and flight sims.

Multi GPUs on a video card that will probably be used for gaming is complete overkill and taking technology in the wrong direction. Unless one GPU handles physics and the other for 3d rendering, I see no purpose for a third GPU.

Second, engines and applications have to be rewritten for optimal efficiency across multiple processors and even cores.

Stupid implementation that will fail miserably.

Second, engines and applications have to be rewritten for optimal efficiency across multiple processors and even cores.

you mean like SLi and Crossfire, which is what game developers are doing anyways?

you mean like SLi and Crossfire, which is what game developers are doing anyways?

Assuming you've read the latest articles.. clearly, Quad GPUs did absolutely nothing.

Faster cores/memory should be the focus. Instead of being energy efficient, powerful, and smaller nvidia and ati are tossing on multiple GPUs. All of this for MINIMAL gains.

It is concerning when consoles are beating Quad GPU setups worth thousands of dollars.

Looks crazy I'll give it that, but I doubt it will see the light, if it does it'll be too expensive and 2 9600GT's in SLI will totally smoke it I'm sure.

Funny they're using Thermaltakes BigWater 760i 2 drive water cooling system for it. They hid that in those photo's but I've installed a few of those and it's very obvious it's that unit.

http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/Liquid/DIY/cl-w0121/cl-w0121.asp

What exactly is the point of this card? I cant imagine 3x3850s performs terribly well in games, and this cooling will make it so expensive than I bet it would get owned by an Nvidia solution at half the price. I doubt this card will ever be released.

Assuming you've read the latest articles.. clearly, Quad GPUs did absolutely nothing.

Faster cores/memory should be the focus. Instead of being energy efficient, powerful, and smaller nvidia and ati are tossing on multiple GPUs. All of this for MINIMAL gains.

It is concerning when consoles are beating Quad GPU setups worth thousands of dollars.

It's still early in the race. There aren't many multi-GPU games out there yet. Give SLi and Crossfire a chance and it'll eventually show up, same with multi-core processors.

Comparing computers with consoles is just dumb. Computers do a hell of a lot more than consoles do, especially in the background while games are running. If you want computers to run at console speed, find a gaming shell that removes everything but drivers you chose to run.

It's still early in the race. There aren't many multi-GPU games out there yet. Give SLi and Crossfire a chance and it'll eventually show up, same with multi-core processors.

Comparing computers with consoles is just dumb. Computers do a hell of a lot more than consoles do, especially in the background while games are running. If you want computers to run at console speed, find a gaming shell that removes everything but drivers you chose to run.

Not entirely true on the console theory either. The hardware used in consoles is significantly cheaper, most of the cost is absorbed by the makers of the consoles. The specs of a console cannot compete anywhere near as that of a Quad GPU/Quad Core CPU. But apparently they are for some odd reason, and time will not reveal anything we have not seen before. Has everyone forgotten about the revolutionary 7950gx2... Epic FAILURE.

I wouldn't sweat it, Crysis still won't be able to be playable at a high resoulution with all the eye candy turned on. :)

Why not just throw on a Pentium/AMD CPU socket on there as well and then the mobo makers could save 10 cents on every board?

this is great! crossfired 3850s perform very well, right up there near the 3870x2. Dang, now 3 of them? sweet!

If you can Crossfire that to 6 GPUs and throw the 3870 on there, it would be something to behold..

As it sits, what if they sell the "Trinity" for $249..

wow :O looks sweet, its probably going to be around $1000 thats my guess :( and as someone said yea that watercooling unit looks exactly the same thing like the thermaltake one.

wow :O looks sweet, its probably going to be around $1000 thats my guess :( and as someone said yea that watercooling unit looks exactly the same thing like the thermaltake one.

I dont think it will see the light of day like that.. it would be like trying to sell a Tripple 8600GT Card.

At the same time though, do we really want this to ever truelly happen? I mean most people had an issue with paying an extra hundred bucks to enhance visual gameplay with a ppu card and you're asking people to fork out an extra 200 bucks, easy, to enjoy games?

The day the video game developers decide to treat sli/x-fire like its some kind of mainstream attraction is the day we all got issues.

But dont get me wrong I dont see any issue with games scaling in a more linear fashion of 1 to 1 with added gpu's. I just dont want game developers moving the status quo from one gpu being the norm up to 2/3 being the norm when developing new games.

At the same time though, do we really want this to ever truelly happen? I mean most people had an issue with paying an extra hundred bucks to enhance visual gameplay with a ppu card and you're asking people to fork out an extra 200 bucks, easy, to enjoy games?

The day the video game developers decide to treat sli/x-fire like its some kind of mainstream attraction is the day we all got issues.

But dont get me wrong I dont see any issue with games scaling in a more linear fashion of 1 to 1 with added gpu's. I just dont want game developers moving the status quo from one gpu being the norm up to 2/3 being the norm when developing new games.

Even if it does happen and you don't want to shell out the cash for SLi configuration, you can always just wait for the next fast (er) single configuration.

Programming for multiple GPU shouldn't cripple single GPU play at all. One is still a number after all. As long as you don't get stuck on a number (programming solely for dual GPU rather than multi (any number) GPU) I don't see how that can be a problem.

This comment confuses me. What console beats a quad GPU machine, and at what? If your talking about high resolution, Anti-aliasing, Anisotropic filtering, hi-res textures, framerates, shader performance, HDR, custom settings, your talking high end PC over any console in any game. Not one of my PS3 games compair to my 8800GTS 512 SLI rig. I don't have an Xbox, so I can't comment on that, but I can't imagine it being much different.

Doesn't sound like a possible product to me, more along the lines of proof of concept. Yay we can put 3 GPUs on a card! look at us! I really don't see the logic of using such low end cads in a multi GPU card, as others have mentioned faster/cheaper/more efficient single GPU cards over just throwing more GPUs on "single" cards.

ATI could put a thousand GPUs on a card and I wouldn't buy it. However, nVidia will likely release a comparable multi-core shortly to succeed or compliment the 9xxx series, so I will stay put until then.

This comment confuses me. What console beats a quad GPU machine, and at what? If your talking about high resolution, Anti-aliasing, Anisotropic filtering, hi-res textures, framerates, shader performance, HDR, custom settings, your talking high end PC over any console in any game. Not one of my PS3 games compair to my 8800GTS 512 SLI rig. I don't have an Xbox, so I can't comment on that, but I can't imagine it being much different.

COMPARE to a 8800GTS? A PS3 can hardly play games in 1080p let alone anti-aliasing. I you ran your 8800GTS at 1280x720 like the PS3 & Xbox 360 normally run at and turned off the AA and whatnot, you would see how embarrassing the power of the PS3's RSX GPU really is.

No console beats a PC for graphics these days (unless you are using a 13" CRT and are blind in one eye...).

Back