ASUS EAH4850 Not Detected

aburgard

Limp Gawd
I just received my ASUS EAH4850 from Newegg and it doesn’t seem to be working. On boot two red lights flash on the back of the card and the fan spins, but I don’t get any video and it’s not detected in Windows.

I am running a 500w Nexus PSU (NX-5000) and a Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S2H motherboard. I used to run an ASUS EAH3850 on the same machine without any trouble.
I tried both the PSUs 6-pin and the 2xMolex to 6-pin connector. Both had the same results.

Right now I’m down to 3 options:

1. Video card is DOA
2. PSU doesn’t have enough oomph to start the card
3. Video card isn’t supported on this motherboard

I contacted both Nexus and ASUS tech support but I really don’t expect them to get back to me.

Thank you.

If it doesn't even give you the warning that the card has no power I would vote for DOA. Have you tried it in another computer?

The 4850 doesn't really need any more power than the 3850, does it?

I wouldn't think that the power requirements would be much more.

I don't have another machine immediately available but I'll try to talk my roomie into letting me use his.

Video cards only need ~25W at boot-up from what I remember, so it's unlikely to be the issue.

Ok, so I stuck the card in another PC and it ran fine. Time to start checking my other parts.

Update:

OK, so I tried in my current system with a new PSU. It's not the PSU. It looks like I'm replacing a motherboard.

Back