ASUS EAH4850

ssg10587

Limp Gawd
I recently bought an ASUS EAH4850 card. I updated the drivers and everything on it. When I try playing games though on decently high settings, it will freeze occassionally and I can't figure out what the problem is. I tried calling ATI but they said if it was not the drviers then it might be broken. I even put the game on low settings and it still freezes. I was thinking background programs might be interfering but all i have is zonealarm as a firewall and avg as anti virus running. Has anyone had similar problems with games where it freezes? I would prefer not having to return it and get a new one as it is a pain but if it is necessary then I will. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Also if this is any help it doesnt blue screen, it just freezes and makes a stuttering sound as if a song is skipping or something.

how are the temps on it? Did you just install over the old drivers or did you do a clean install of them?

I had the same issues with my 8800GS before I rma'd it.
I also would have random graphics corruption, road in need for speed would
turn into stop signs, weird stuff, etc...

What kind of power supply do you have?

temp stays at about 80C which the Catalyst control center says is fine. The power supply is EarthWatts 500W PSU. I did a clean install of the drivers by gettin rid of the old and then doing the new ones.

Also wanted to mention this but the first time I had the drivers I DID NOT do a clean install because I did not know. I had the old drivers, installed the new without uninstalling. But I then uninstalled the new, put the old back on and then DID clean install the new which is where im at now. Sorry if this is kind of confusing.

Does anyone actually have an asus eah4850 that works fine with the new drivers? Just wondering as maybe I should ask asus to send me a new one since this one might be broken.

Just wondering why no one seems to respond to this. I rechecked my GPU temp and it runs at about 70C. Also I am looking to change my aperture and cannot find it. Where would it be? It is not in the catalyst control center at all. Also when I did the uninstall utility to remove the old drivers i did the graphics and the chipset. Was that the right thing to do or should I have just removed the graphics?

You should have only removed the graphic drivers. If you didn't reinstall the chipset drivers, you need to install them.

Does anyone actually have an asus eah4850 that works fine with the new drivers? Just wondering as maybe I should ask asus to send me a new one since this one might be broken.

Yes, and they work fine for me.

Asus 4850 working fine here with cats 8.7.

Try running with your comp case open, see if that helps. If it does, overheating is most likely your culprit.

ps. Installed Accelero S1 on my 4850 and had similiar freezing when it was running passively. Once I installed 120mm fan on accelero, everythings been working fine. Seems like the voltage regulators were overheating.

alright thanks ill try disabling zonealarm and see what happens. Also how do you change the aperture and all that with catalyst 8.7? There is no smartgart and it isnt in my bios.

Back